Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Rice Custom Guitars Owners' Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by johnny guitar, Oct 8, 2009.

1. johnny guitar

johnny guitar Tele-Meister

Apr 25, 2005
    Chicago NW burb
    I have owned lots of Fender Teles, lots of G&L ASATs, and plenty of teles by other custom makers. But my favorites of all are Rice Custom Guitars teles. I tend to rotate my gear pretty often so I can keep on getting new ones, but I always come back to the Rich and Chris (and now Matt with Rice pickups) Rice offerings. Rice guitars always make me feel like I bought something from a master craftsman in old world Austria or something like that. These guitars have serious TIME put into their creation. Rich and Chris Rice spend countless hours on the necks, the nuts, electronics, finishes, everything. But it is not just time of course. These guys are both accomplished tele players, and KNOW what a tele is and what they want it to sound like. If you want a vintage sounding tele, man oh man, look no further. My latest Rice is just an awesome guitar. It has finally satisifed my frequent longings for a strat, while playing a tele. This one is a one-piece ash body with Lolllar strat pups, and a gotoh bridge and saddles. It has the famous Rich Rice-shaped fat neck, which are the greatest necks for teles I have ever felt or played. It is such a tremendous instrument. Anyway, the Rices deserve a club here, so pitch in with your pix and comments!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  2. XKnight

XKnight Tele-Afflicted

Nov 9, 2007
    Republic of Texas
    Great guitars! Here's #42. I stupidly traded it away and miss it dearly. Maybe it will make its way back to me one day.

[​IMG]

3. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris Friend of Leo's

That guitar was #42 in tribute to Douglas Adams.
    I wouldn't mind having her come back to me either! Still love that top.

I'm playing #107 a bunch lately:
    [​IMG]

#065 (my wife was heavily involved in this one, she brought the body to life from a deceased Fender):
    [​IMG]

#001 (yes, the very first guitar I built with my dad in '98):
    [​IMG]

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Wild Rice Chris

#098 (technically, this is half mine and half my wife's, she designed and co-built it):
    [​IMG]

#013 (I've been playing this one for a long time):
    [​IMG]

and #063 (not quite finished, I still haven't put the backplates on):
    [​IMG]

I have another in the works; a 24 fret, trem-laden, MIDI-equipped Tulip in Lake Placid Blue.
    Oh, for some time to actually complete my guitars in less than a year!

6. jwl325

jwl325 Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2007
    Gulf Coast
    Here's #125. Esquire-ish, but with an SD Quarter Pounder under the pickguard, about midway to the neck.

Built in Apr '09 (I think), but I just got the guitar last month, purchased from another TDPRI member.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

Nov 17, 2006
    MA
    Not technically a Rice, but they did put a custom neck on my partcaster that is by far the best neck I've ever played. Maybe I could be the club mascot?

[​IMG]

8. jwl325

jwl325 Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2007
    Gulf Coast
    Don't short-change yourself SF--I think the neck says more about the guitar than the rest of the parts put together.

Beautiful guitar you have there!

Bill

9. johnny guitar

Apr 25, 2005
    Chicago NW burb
    that pink Esquire is so sweet looking. I really want to hear that one.

10. Wild Rice Chris

11. johnny guitar

Apr 25, 2005
    Chicago NW burb
    Couldn't resist taking advantage of the October sale for a second Rice guitar, so I bought this one, #145, this week. I never thought of myself buying a somewhat "exotic" looking dark-colored tele like this, but it has everything going for it. It is semi-hollow mahogany, and this works so well, because the guitar is light (about 6.5 pounds) but doesn't feel like a feather. The mahogany gives it s substantial feel. The mahogany wood and neck seem to bring out the best in these Fralins Blues Specials. This is another guitar that is just blow away sweet to play and feel in person. I always have two guitars, and I have never had a pair that so completely met my needs and wants like these two Rices.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. jwl325

jwl325 Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2007
    Gulf Coast
    JG--from the site, here ya go:

Congrats on your new Rice--I was looking *really* hard at that same guitar but thought I should wait just a bit after this purchase....good on ya for moving on it!!

Bill

13. TeamShakenBake

TeamShakenBake TDPRI Member

May 18, 2009
    Gilberts Illinois
    Johnny Guitar, I had the opportunity to fiddle with a number of the rice guitars and I have to say 145 is a fine example of rice craftsmanship and is part of the reason I bought #147

14. OaklandA

OaklandA Friend of Leo's

Jun 18, 2004
    Queen Creek, AZ
    I am lucky enough to own #029:

[​IMG]

15. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    Thanks again to everyone who has helped us along the way!

-Rich

16. Mr Wright

Mr Wright TDPRI Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Kingwood Tx
  17. pompeii0

pompeii0 Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2005
    Greenwood, NS, Canada
    I own #052 and all I have to say is: WOW! WOW! WOW! It looks a lot like Springsteen's guitar, so I call it "The Boss"!

18. Wild Rice Chris

I had #105 out the other night, great success!
    I need to get some real pictures before I beat the crap out of this guitar...

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.