Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Review Welch TS Twang Slinger

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by go49ners, Jun 14, 2013.

1. go49ners

go49ners Tele-Meister

Here's my formal review for my Welch Twang Slinger Vintage Series Telecaster that I recently received in the mail...

The Good:
    - It looks beautiful. I almost went the safe route of sunburst, but where else could I get a daphne blue in this price range and this quality? So I went with the blue. The binding looks awesome, and the vintage tinted neck brings the whole thing together. It looks like it is straight outta the 50s or something. Very cool.
    - It feels and plays like a quality guitar. What more can you ask for? It feels like a really solid guitar. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite necks I've played. It's a C-shape with 9.5" radius and glossy finish. It's just slightly fuller feeling than Fenders modern c-shape, but I prefer it. The fretboard feels smooth and fast and I haven't found any sharp edges on the frets yet. No fretting out or fret buzz either. Intonation was SPOT ON right out of the box and it has the vintage 3-peice saddles which are pretty cool too.
    - It sounds just like a Tele should. Plenty of twang here to go around. The Wilkinson Vintage voiced pups are actually quite nice. I was kinda expecting that I'd want to swap them out immediately, but I am in no hurry after hearing them.

The Bad:
    Really not much to say here as of now. And I'm not just saying that. Of course, it doesn't have the f-word on the headstock, which effects resale value. And like I said, the pups are good for now, but I'll probably still end up saving up for some D.Allens eventually.

image-685401343.jpg

image-1825630114.jpg

image-3103792765.jpg

image-1166023447.jpg

image-1248466512.jpg

2. go49ners

go49ners Tele-Meister

Still loving this thing like crazy! The honeymoon has not worn off at all.

I can't believe I lived my whole life without a Telecaster.

3. stevenhay

stevenhay Tele-Meister

I love the color of that guitar!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. go49ners

go49ners Tele-Meister

Get one! It plays even better than it looks

6. go49ners

go49ners Tele-Meister

To put the Welch in perspective, I just picked up a Fender FSR butterscotch blonde Telecaster (MIM) and its a fantastic Tele but the Welch is probably a tad better. Specifically, the Welch has loads more Tele twang than the MIM. Could be the pickups but either way between both guitars (both are bone stock) the Welch is just a hair better.

That said, now that I have two Teles ill probably start modding one of them.

7. iowacarver

iowacarver Tele-Meister

I have one exactly like that incoming! Your review makes me want it even more! Can't wait!

Corey

8. Tazz3

Tazz3 Friend of Leo's

It's nice, I emailed them and asked if they made a wide neck in 1-3/4""width nut.
    No dice

9. Brandon mac

Brandon mac Tele-Holic

I have one of their les paul copies and it is fantastic!

10. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity

11. teleamp

teleamp Friend of Leo's

Looks nice except for the ugly head stock...

12. teleamp

teleamp Friend of Leo's

Who makes them...

13. go49ners

go49ners Tele-Meister

Made overseas to Heath Welch's specs. Really really killer guitars for the money. Cool specs too. I have the Tele and also a Les Paul copy and both are really fantastic.

14. teleamp

teleamp Friend of Leo's

Thanks, I got the answer also from the ebayer that sells welch's.

Nice looking guitars, congrats on yours...

15. mystichands

mystichands NEW MEMBER!

I just got their EL100 model yesterday. Very nice guitar for the money, less than $200 w/ free shipping. I don't do a review, but unlike the above guitar, mine has a more Fender like headstock, with amber tinted maple neck w/ rosewood board. It looked really dry, but after applying linseed oil and wiping, was just fine. Really good fit and finish, generic sealed tuners, which in my opinion are better than the vintage style. If anyone is as old as I am, I remember when the first sealed Schallers hit the scene in the late 60's. We were thrilled to finally have machines that stayed in tune. Oh well, on to the sound.. like a tele should sound, sharp and defined on bridge, less so in the middle, and pretty soft with the neck. I was impressed. I ran it thru a crate v33 and electro harmonix analog delay. It sounded good. Nice neck, very flat, no rough frets. Intonation was spot on. The strings are 9's and cheesy generics, but with a freash set it ought to be nice. I used to play a 72 Tele Custom, for many years. This sounds different, and its not broken in an aged, but its a nice guitar. I actually bought it because of the comments I read on this forum.

16. go49ners

go49ners Tele-Meister

Welch makes a killer guitar. He's blowing out all of his LP models (because Gibson kindly asked him to do so) so hit him up at welchsales@aol.com if you are interested in a Les Paul style guitar. I LOVE MINE!

17. Jeranhound

Jeranhound Tele-Meister

Thanks for the tip on that, I've been looking at LPs lately and shot him an email to get a price quote.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.