Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Review of the "Albert Lee Country Boy" Instructional DVD

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by garytelecastor, Dec 7, 2013.

1. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

So I mentioned that I was buying this DVD and someone suggested that
    when I got it I give it a review, so here goes.

The DVD was produced in 2006, and is 160 minutes long. It has several different features that give a greater picture of all of the player that Albert is: Advanced Country Guitar, Virtuoso Techniques, and Special Features. Every section has several live performances, the camera work is excellent, and the interviews are approached from a POV that the watcher is a player.

Advanced Country Guitar

It opens with a rendition of "That's All Right Mama", with the guys who back him up on this DVD: they do what a back up band does best-they don't get in the way of the music.
    The DVD has several "live" performances and in each of them Albert sits down with Askold Buk (NYC guitar player and producer) after the song and explains what he is doing on the neck for both left and right hand.
    He explains about his influences and the way that he has tried to honor their playing with his, and gives examples.

Virtuoso Techniques

Albert digs a little deeper into the neck in this section and begins to talk about altered chords, tonal structure, use of inversions, etc. Again, all of the techniques are demonstrated and he explains his thinking to a given percent. This section really gets into the mind of Albert and what he is thinking as he plays. He discusses lines for 3rds, 6th's, and 10th's, banjo rolls, pedal steel licks, double stops, and even classical guitar techniques.

Special Features

This section has an interview with Albert about his work with Harrison and Clapton. A lesson by Steve Morse, and the access point for the accompanying 240+ page PDF file that contains all of the tabs and notation for all of Albert's guitar work on the DVD.

All in all, I can't believe that they are letting this out as one DVD. There is enough work and lessons here to last for at least a year or two.
    A word of caution: This is NOT a beginner's DVD. If a person has not had a lot of experience working the neck they are going to feel like they are drowning in some of the content, especially when he gets into the use of 6th's, 3rd's, and 10th's, and other "virtuoso techniques".
    That doesn't mean that it isn't worth buying. I would recommend this DVD to anyone just for Alberts playing alone.
    It's an excellent production and has one of the first real presentations of not just licks and lines, but mental concepts and how Albert is thinking as he approaches the neck.

If you look for this video you will find it is around $30. However, if you go to ebay you can obtain it much cheaper. It is well worth the $30.

In short, if you have been wondering how someone like Albert, Brent, Jerry, etc., are able to obtain that lightning speed and yet remain musical this is the DVD you want. Buy it. If you are a jazz, blues, rock, or country player you need this DVD in your library.

2. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2011
    Bristol
    I have the book and audio CD, but not the video. It's a treasury of amazing licks - kept me busy for months!

3. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

When did the book come out?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Fatschlamp

Fatschlamp Tele-Meister

Apr 26, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanx for the review

I picked up a Danny Gatton DVD cheap a year ago and was so scared by my first view I haven't touched it since!

However, I will grab this one anyway

6. transmaniacon

transmaniacon Tele-Holic

Apr 16, 2003
    Sydney,NSW
    I bought both TAB books (with CD's) in 1993, the DVD must have been re-released. I have a DVD called Hilights from 2002 which has most of the songs from both packages.

steve

7. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2011
    Bristol
    Not sure - I bought it about six years ago I think, not sure if it's still in print though.

8. countryboyalex

countryboyalex TDPRI Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Brighton
    hello!
    i just bought a copy of the virtuoso techniques book but it didn't come with the cd..

[Mod. edit: Classifieds or PM only, please]

thanks!
    Alex

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2016
  9. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Friend of Leo's

Sep 7, 2010
    whitebird, idaho
    Wow, I must be old. My Albert Lee video is on a VHS format.:)

10. burtonfan

burtonfan Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    michigan
    I have the same DVD... bought it a few years ago. I printed all the tabs and put them in a binder for quick access.

The amount of content here is AMAZING! I agree, I can't believe this is all on one DVD! There's enough here to literally study for years.

I'm currently working on Tiger Rag. I've been at it on and off for over a year. The licks are great and can be copped to different keys and tempos as most licks will. The killer element is the tempo! I'm still a few bpm off Albert's tempo, but I'll get there... eventually. :oops:

I recommend this DVD to anyone who is serious about stepping up their chops. :)

11. transmaniacon

transmaniacon Tele-Holic

Apr 16, 2003
    Sydney,NSW
    That's a different one

12. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    No, it's the same videos that were compiled to make the Country Boy DVD.
    I have both sets of the videos on VHS from the 90's, and I got the "Highlights" DVD which combines parts of both the videos in the early 2000's.
    The Country Boy DVD contains all this material plus some Extras.

There is an older instructional video of Albert where he is playing real Telecasters, I think it was from Star Licks.

13. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Friend of Leo's

Sep 7, 2010
    whitebird, idaho
    That's the one!!!!! I loved it when Albert used to play Teles. I sure miss that.

14. historicus146

historicus146 Tele-Holic

Jun 28, 2010
    chicago area
    Agreed! Dont like that tone he gets from the red thing he plays.

15. transmaniacon

transmaniacon Tele-Holic

Apr 16, 2003
    Sydney,NSW
    Yes, that's the one I meant I have that on VHS

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.