Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Review of Mustang GT40. (different POV)

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by burntfrijoles, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    I’m using guitar therapeutically too. I lost many chords but they come back. Plus, I played a classical not Electric so the neck width is smaller. It’s cool when you get one back. And it’s a guitar, there’s always more than one way to play a chord.

I’ll need to check out that app. I’ll try it on Europa.

The GT40 has a nice bass sound to it from the port. Just be sure you have the amp angled toward your ears. I think some people miss that. Smaller amps need to be placed correctly. Nice music streamer too. None of the Bluetooth amps seem to be great when it comes to streaming video. Bluetooth has a lag. I don’t think amps were designed to synchronize with video.

If you need a really good desktop sized amp for an office vs man cave, look at the Vox Adio GT Air. When I work from home I use it. Fits on a shelf but can keep up with the bigger modelers easily. Streaming sounds so good.

I’m not at the Gilmore level but I’ll learn some surf tunes. Love that sound.

Keep on playing... and have fun.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2017
    Lambieka and Bluesshoe like this.

2. Bluesshoe

Bluesshoe TDPRI Member

Oct 4, 2017
    Bremen, Germany
    I think it has nothing to do with the amps themselves, that is a bluetooth problem.
    Not important for me, because i would never stream video sound over an amp.
    The Vox Adio GT Air was the first amp that i was looking for in exchange for my Blackstar, but it is very expensive here. I can get a GT40 include the MGT4 Footswitch for less the price of an Vox Adio GT Air. To be able to loop on the GT40 without an extra looping device is kinda cool... :D

Oh, and this is the guy i was writing about, who's playing a Ventures tune:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    burntfrijoles, Cliffyg62 and Lambieka like this.

3. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Love the vid. Yeah you nailed the looping option. I keep forgetting it’s there. Haven’t played with the pedal much as it’s the old model and I need to update the button labels.

Crazy how the vox is more than the fender over there. It’s $50 more here too.

Bluesshoe likes this.

4. Lambieka

Lambieka TDPRI Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Europa
    Thnx for the looper video.
    It shows it can work.
    So maybe I'll buy a gt40
    €200 for the amp and €60 for the pedal.
    Someone here on tdpri wrote the looper feature is not good.
    Using a looper needs to be trained
    Is there somebody who has compared the gt40 looper whit other loopers?

Cliffyg62 and Bluesshoe like this.

5. Bluesshoe

Bluesshoe TDPRI Member

Oct 4, 2017
    Bremen, Germany
    Right now the Vox cost €289 here in Germany and the GT40 plus the MGT4 cost just €272. For what i want to do with it, the GT40 & MGT4 is the better option and it cost less. So i got my mind set on the GT40 yesterday and ordered one.
    By the way: The labeling of an older pedal is an easy thing to solve. Fender did put out an overlay for the MGT4 as a pdf-file and the advanced manual for the GT series - pdf is available for download too.
    Strangely it seems that i cannot post certain urls, so drop me a message if you are interested in the overlay for the pedal.
    Exactly. And i think the sound is totally ok too.

Cliffyg62 and Lambieka like this.

6. DougM

DougM Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    In the US the GT40 is $229 and the footswitch is $79, for a total of about $310, while the Vox is $299. I think Vox really missed the boat by not including a carrying case with shoulder strap like they make for the Night Train 15 head or MB had for the Subway Blues and Subway Rocket. They don't even have one for the incredible little MV50 AC!

PhredE and Bluesshoe like this.

7. Bluesshoe

Bluesshoe TDPRI Member

Oct 4, 2017
    Bremen, Germany
    An American Amp costs more in the US than in Europe and a European Amp costs more in Europe than in the US. Weird times... o_O

PhredE and Cliffyg62 like this.

8. Bluesshoe

Bluesshoe TDPRI Member

Oct 4, 2017
    Bremen, Germany
    I just remembered that i wanted to write to this part of your comment.
    From picking up my first guitar i owned quite a few expensive ones. About two decades ago i sold them all. Because of the degree of loss of the fine motorics of my hands after the surgery, i thought i would never pick up a guitar again.
    A few moth ago i saw a buddy play a cheap Mustang copy that sounded quite cool and i strummed a few chords and played a few lines with that guitar. That thing could rock out and was able to produce a very authentic surf sound too. That short moment got me "infected" again! But i was not sure enough i would keep doing it to take the "risk" of buying an original expensive Fender Mustang.
    And do you know what? I bought the exact same guitar ( Harley Benton MS-60 VW LTD Edition ) for just €111,- (incl. post and package) and when i came it was perfectly set up with a set of D'Addario strings and i even got a coupon of €20 because it came a week too late than they first announced. I never thought that a guitar for just €111,- would be such a nice one and for the €20 Coupon i got myself a second set of strings, some picks, a tiny tuner and a 9 foot cable. :D
    Here's a clip of that guitar in "action":

I think the Fender GT40 will fit perfectly to that guitar.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Bill, Cliffyg62 and dswo like this.

9. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    It’s fate.
    I have a squire jag and just love that sound. It works great with my champion 40. Like hey were made for each other.
    We’re on the same page. I just ordered some D'Addario 11s to try them out on it. Still trying to figure out the bridge but it’s all part of the fun of exploring.
    Love that vid. I have to learn to play that way.
    Glad you’re playing again.

Bluesshoe likes this.

10. Bluesshoe

Bluesshoe TDPRI Member

Oct 4, 2017
    Bremen, Germany
    Cliffyg62 likes this.

11. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Bluesshoe likes this.

12. Bluesshoe

Bluesshoe TDPRI Member

Oct 4, 2017
    Bremen, Germany
    Keep your head up, you will make this! ;)

My weekend started yesterday evening.
    It has something, to be able to work just from Monday til Thursday...

Cya soon...

Cliffyg62 likes this.

13. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Hey, thanks buddy. Got to Saturday, whew... I thought we were supposed to be on a 25 hour work week by now not 45 to 50. American progress I guess... hope that’s not pol.... you know the rest of the word... don’t want no warnings n such...

Lil bad news...One unfortunate update. Playing the gt40 right after doing the latest update I got that volume jump some described. Only happened once and went away when I changed preset.
    Hope you don’t run into any issues. My fav presets still sound great. Older imports are hit or miss but always have been. Had to dump the jtm45 for hb and one for sb but have an awesome one made differently than those. I go for a bright sound so my taste trends that way.
    There are some new features but I needed to just play today. Found a couple of new musical things too on a cheap epiphone Sg. Hey, at least it’s black, looks cool... I can get almost creative without my current work environment dragging me down. Anyway...
    Well, a few hours left to breathe freely. May crank it up again but more Marshally sounds may be calling me... wonder if there’s a jvm preset...

Rock on my friend...

Bluesshoe likes this.

14. Bluesshoe

Bluesshoe TDPRI Member

Oct 4, 2017
    Bremen, Germany
    Be careful with yourself. After the loss of my wife to cancer i submerged myself into work. I worked 50-60 hours a week for many years. It took two burn-outs and a small stroke to let me know i was walking on a razor blade. I moved into a complete new field of work and i reduced the working hours. People between 45 and 60 seem to drop like flies if they ignore the warning signs.
    Well, modern modeling amps are like computers and they will show some of the same problems. I'm sure we both know a few people who ran into hefty problems after a Windows update (just an example), or who had massive data losses after firmware updates of their smartphone. So I can imagine an uncontrolled wireless update can lead to problems. I did IT - field service for many years and I don't get why there's no option on the Fender GT - series for saving the current state to an USB-Stick, as a emergency boot device.
    What is the most important IT - advice?
    Have you tried turning it off and on again?

So did you import your presets from an older Mustang, or are the presets harmed that you made on the GT40?
    I should get my GT40 delivered on Monday or Tuesday and i already have cleared my evening schedule for the complete next week and the complete next weekend! :D
    Today i found a good price for the Fender footswitch and i found out, that i can use a cheap M-Audio expression pedal too. So these two things are on my wishlist for the next order, that will be made when i like the amp so much that i want to keep it. Thomann gives a 30 days money back option, so i can really dig in deep into the GT40 before making a decision.
    I think the coolest looking Epiphone SG is the "Epiphone Ltd. Ed. Tony Iommi Signature SG". Brilliant!
    http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Electrics/SG/Ltd-Ed-Tony-Iommi-SG-Custom.aspx

Cliffyg62 likes this.

15. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    It's really a shame that the entire GT line got savaged by reviewers early on. I can't speak to the GT100 or 200 but the GT40 is a fine modeling amp and a tremendous value.
    The whole "boxy" crap is overblown.
    Guess what, some of the presets and models in my new Helix sound boxy. I can't say this enough, modelers require effort. Whether it's properly setting the global eq; finding the right cab for an amp model; adjusting the eq for the patch; etc, you have to devote some effort to dial in the right tone. However, I found some of the base models on the GT40 to sound as good as what I'm hearing on the Helix. Yikes! Likewise, I liked some of the options on the Firehawk more than I like the Helix.
    Additionally, the presets on the Helix are mostly "meh" just like other modelers.
    In short, modelers are no different than amps themselves: they have their nuances with good things but also things that make you go "wtf".

Bluesshoe likes this.

16. Lambieka

Lambieka TDPRI Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Europa
    You're right
    I suppose , because the amp is a modeling device, it's designed to model with it.

To sell it to the customer there must be resonable presets.
    How good and how many is a marketing decision.
    A complicated process from my point of view.

The GT40 has got minus points and plus points.
    Will I buy it? Or not?
    It is definitly the source for the state of mind I'm in : GAS

Bluesshoe and Cliffyg62 like this.

17. Lambieka

Lambieka TDPRI Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Europa
    Gear Acquisition Syndrom

In a world with far to much gear I want
    and not enough lifetime to enjoy it

So I make music
    and for now I play the gitar

Next year? Maybe Saxophone
    laying and some amplified echo outoff a gt40

Bluesshoe likes this.

18. Bluesshoe

Bluesshoe TDPRI Member

Oct 4, 2017
    Bremen, Germany
    Someone wrote or said in a review, that the "boxy thing" does go away when he changed the presets to a different cab simulation than the one used as a standard.
    Have you tried that?
    I never rely on video reviews alone, but from what i have seen and heard i do like the sound of the GT40. Many shops do offer 14 to 30 days money back guarantee. I'll use that time wisely and dive deeply into my GT40 when it's delivered.
    If the sound is not to my liking i can always send it back and buy something else. At least then i can say that i did a test-run myself and i experienced the amp first hand.
    It's the same with food, or with drinks, or with everything else.
    The magic words are "personal taste".
    Some may love the standard presets right out of the box, some hate them and others are willing to experiment with them to suit them to their personal taste.
    I always have been of the last kind. I have never used a standard guitar, never drove a standard bike/car, and never ate standard food.
    :rolleyes: .oO (Even my woman were never standard...)

Lambieka likes this.

19. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Just to clarify, I've was a fan of the GT40 since I got one in early may. I learned within the first couple of sessions that the cabinets were the "secret sauce". I really didn't experience the "boxy" thing which is why I said the reviews were overblown in trashing the GT40. I am a big fan of the GT40. Plus, I've always liked the App and the wireless functionality, streaming etc.
    I am not sure you can beat the GT40 in terms of value. People who compare it to the Katana miss the point. Katana is not a "modeler" in the truest sense. As I mentioned before, modelers require effort to get the optimal tone and I don't care if that's a GT40 or a Helix.

Lambieka and Bluesshoe like this.

20. Bluesshoe

Bluesshoe TDPRI Member

Oct 4, 2017
    Bremen, Germany
    Maybe it was your post, that i meant with "Someone wrote or said in a review, that the "boxy thing" does go away when he changed the presets to a different cab simulation".

I've been reading through so many posts and reviews that i did not remember where i got that info from. If it was you, then let me thank you! Because of that info i got the sense that i'll be well satisfied with the GT40 and i ordered it from Thomann.
    Exactly these functionalities were ticking all of my "must have" boxes. I read somewhere that the output of the GT40 goes down pretty low and that would be a plus for me too.

I already tried a Blackstar ID:core and even the lowest volume was just too loud to be able to play guitar in my mancave. I was turning the volume knob and the sound was jumping, like from "nothing" to "way too LOUD".
    I hope the volume is more even from really low to loud on the GT40.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.