Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Review of Mustang GT40. (different POV)

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by burntfrijoles, Jun 15, 2017.

1. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    This. Thanks for sharing that info! Factual and helpful.

burntfrijoles and JasonKingsX like this.

2. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2013
    Kansas
    This is what I quoted and what I responded to. Read it.

"You need a few days. If you're expecting this amp to sound golden out the box, then this amp may not be for you,"

3. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    Thanks man! Had a 15% off coupon and some MF Backstage points saved as well so I pulled the trigger on one. $45 and change out the door. I'll post if I learn anything more once I dive in deep... especially on what I get with the high gain tones. If I can come up with something like the Brown 1 & 2 channels on my THR10X, I'll post the patch details. I really, really like these two channels a lot. It's not mindless metal tone to me. It's high gain with character and feel. That may help a few other players like me see if this amp is worth checking out.

Staypuft1652 likes this.

4. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    No point in discussing this with them. They take things out of context.
    Yes, it takes times to tweak sounds to a specific tone. What modeling amp doesn't? They possibly haven't watched tutorials and tone creation videos for more expensive modelers. The authors of those videos page through a number of parameters to develop a tone. They didn't just arrive at those in a few minutes. It took them time.
    You are absolutely correct that you can get a great sound easily and quickly. Many of the presets are very good right out of the gate.
    I got mine on May 3 and it continues to impress me. It gives me exactly what I want. Hell, I've even watched some Helix tone tutorials and applied similar settings to the GT40. With a few tweaks here and there I have had excellent results.
    I could care less about Shane's opinion on anything. He is by no means the final arbiter on tone.
    The comparison of the GT to a Katana is silly. They are very different amps with different operation characteristics.
    Lastly, I've repeatedly asked the same questions of the negative posters. Do you own one? Have you played one for any length of time? I never have gotten a response.
    Haters are gonna hate.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

5. Fenderman803

Fenderman803 TDPRI Member

Jul 28, 2017
    Sumter, SC

6. Fenderman803

Fenderman803 TDPRI Member

Jul 28, 2017
    Sumter, SC
    Hum60 really didn't research or try to tweak the GT40, ie: he did a video on recording with it and didn't know you had to download the driver from Fender to record on your pc/Mac so he simply stated the USB didn't work. If heard some killer demo's away from YouTube and they're awesome. Can't wait till mine gets here next week

Cliffyg62 and Jim Dep like this.

7. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC

8. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    So glad I found this thread. more I use it the more I like it.

Jim Dep likes this.

9. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    New update. ... guess this ones dead...

10. burntfrijoles

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Do you mean the thread or your amp?

I am still enjoying the GT40. I briefly considered a Yamaha TRH10c due to its simplicity but the GT40 is much more versatile. I still don't find the settings I use to be boxy at all.
    I continue to be amazed at the modeling qualities of this very inexpensive amp. Modeling has come a long way.
    I do think this thread is dead. (Curtis Mayfield anyone?)

Cliffyg62 likes this.

11. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Yeah I should have clarified that. Thread is dead doodoodoot... that's what I said... Lol
    My Thrs are getting less use. Just easier to use the app but when I'm not appy I tend to go back to thr... they're both great.
    One thing I'm learning is different guitars love different amps. No way too have afforded that lesson as a working man even a few years ago. I love these amps. Just saved a used guitar I got years ago and thought was a bad buy. Last night it sounded awesome on a marshal model with the gain turned down. I was about to learn how to solder and set up using it. Now it's going to get put on a proper stand. If I couldn't emulate like that it'd have wrecked a great sounding guitar... whew.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    luckett and burntfrijoles like this.

12. Bluesshoe

Bluesshoe TDPRI Member

Oct 4, 2017
    Bremen, Germany
    Hi there.
    Years ago I always got a kick out of trying different speakers in my amps.
    Has anyone here tried something like that with the GT40?
    Does anyone of you know the specs of the speakers that are built in the GT40?
    Greetings from Germany,
    Joe

13. burntfrijoles

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    I think the FRFR speakers in the GT40 are well matched to the software and amp. They are a stereo pair. Since I got the GT40 in May, I have worked with a Line 6 Firehawk and Line 6 Helix. While the GT can't match the overall performance of either of the Line 6 products, it holds its own with it's Fender models and a few others. The GT40 is a very good value.

Bluesshoe and Cliffyg62 like this.

14. Bluesshoe

Bluesshoe TDPRI Member

Oct 4, 2017
    Bremen, Germany
    Oh, don't get me wrong.
    What i've heard so far gave me the impression that the GT40 seems to be an incredible amp and i'm really thinking about buying one as a practice amp for my man cave.

But some people seem to think that the sound of the GT40 is muffled or "boxy".
    i just remembered what players did in the past, when they were not satisfied with the sound.
    Changing speakers was always one of the first steps.

15. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    The first step with the GT40 is to buy a different amp.

Georox likes this.

16. Bluesshoe

Bluesshoe TDPRI Member

Oct 4, 2017
    Bremen, Germany
    Sometimes i really miss a "thumb down" button...

Frodebro and Cliffyg62 like this.

17. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Me too. Gt40 great for what it is. Nice man cave choice.

Bluesshoe likes this.

18. Bluesshoe

Bluesshoe TDPRI Member

Oct 4, 2017
    Bremen, Germany
    I thought so too.
    I'm starting to play again after a break of more than 20 years and i just want to be able to jam along to my favorite songs. Short time ago I bought a Blackstar id:core 10 but that amp doesn't cut it for me.
    I thought to myself, that the GT40 would save me the expenses of buying loads of effects and i still get someway close to the sound of the original songs.
    So for me it's all about of having a little fun while having a decent sound that is not too loud. As a German you may have the same experiences with pissed off neighbors that i have. ;)
    Do I guess right that the '62 is your birthdate?
    Jan '62 here...

Cliffyg62 likes this.

19. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    I’m doing a similar thing after years away from playing. But I can’t quite get me to play songs but just mess around with chords and short note runs and see if I can find something. Been having fun. Oh and learning about Electrics and amps pedals and all that. Great time to explore.

Same issues with neighbors. I got a knock while playing a thr10 on 7. So I do a lot of headphones. Great that we have cab sims on these things.

Almost tried a blackstar core ID 40 as it was dirt cheap and I love the fly 3 but loads of reviews kinda put me off of it. So I got a cable to,connect my fly 3 to a pa, or effects loop or an audio interface. Working on getting it connected...

As for me, I’m only a lil bit German. American here even though that’s kinda embarrassing these days with all the idiocy going on but I’ll leave that for a different venue.

As for gear, I’m big into these modelers. Seems like folks who can afford tons of tube amps keep trashing them for not being exactly equal to a room full of expensive amps. I’m no expert and maybe have no ear but I’m finding great sounds and not looking for that holy grail of my tone so maybe I have an odd goal. Explore sounds, explore music, if something great comes up freaking awesome! If the sounds suck like many on t(e mustang 1 that I could not quite warm up,to except for three amps, I go get another Sound or amp or effect or cabinet. It’s freaking wonderful. I can play a Marshall stack. That could never have happened in 1978. On the fly 3 I can go from British to American Clean or dirty twisting a couple of knobs. So what if it isn’t the massive refined boutique Sound of the day, only rich folks and rich pros can do that anyway. We can play in a way no one could before and most of it is B+ sound. Corksniffers are putting folks off so I try to encourage anyone interested to ignore them and got try these things out for themselves.
    One big thing I learned is that different guitars work differently with different amps and cabs. It’s amazing. I need to revisit the mustang 1 using that knowledge. Learned it by messing around. And was fun to learn. I only have cheap guitars but the two cheapest that were going to be experiments in soldering have some great tones in them matched and played with the right set of equipment. A guy said that you need to see 5e whole system as the thing you’re playing from fingers to speaker and everything in between. Great to learn exactly what that means and to be able to play around, experiment...
    Ok, went on too long but the negs out there need to be countered...

Hope you have fun and if you want to keep in touch, feel free. There’s a lot of us out there.

Oh and it’s only the best year EVER... except for that whole mislead crisis which wasn’t our fault... we were babies... lol

Keep playin keep exploring. Best thing is stumbling on that oooooh sound...

Lambieka likes this.

20. Bluesshoe

Bluesshoe TDPRI Member

Oct 4, 2017
    Bremen, Germany
    5:11 AM! Impressive!

There's a saying that you never unlearn how to drive a bike, but with guitar i think you can loose your abilities after a few decades of not playing. At least it seems that i did loose the most of it. Years ago i had surgery on both of my shoulders and since then it feels like a big part of the fine - motorics of my hands are gone. Playing seems like a great way to get some of it back and it keeps my mind occupied in a positive way, so it'll be like a stress reliever for me too..

I still have a way to go till i'm able to play a complete guitar track of a song.
    That's one of the reasons why i want to buy a GT40. I do own a few macs and i tried Garageband on them, but i think it's a total different thing to have an amp in front of me, even it's only a modeling amp.
    With the bluetooth connection i could stream music from my ipad or my android phone. There are some cool apps available for both of them.
    Apps like Capo ( http://supermegaultragroovy.com/products/capo/ios/ ) or Beat Time let me slow down a track, or part of a track using time-stretch, so that the track is still in the right key. Hell, Capo even has a chord and beat detection, looping and isolation of instruments and vocals.
    Another reason is the flexibility of the GT40. I saw a video were a guy did a very close Gilmourish - sound on the GT40, or another guy played a Ventures tune on it and it sounded totally great. To be able to see what a difference it makes if i put an effect in another place in the chain, is a really cool thing too.

Oops, it's late! Off to work i must go...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2017
    pdcorlis, Cliffyg62 and Lambieka like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.