Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Review of Mustang GT40. (different POV)

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by burntfrijoles, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    Where is California, Germany?

2. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    'Mustang' ' GT40' two of the most iconic cars Ford made.
    Seems like they would sue.

3. djgdgaf1

djgdgaf1 TDPRI Member

Jun 20, 2017
    California
    Stationed in germany

4. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    I'm guessing it's probably in Los Angeles. It's interesting to see how many new users have signed up to the various forums to show their support for the Mustang GT. It's also quite remarkable how they all tend to use very similar diction and punctuation in their posts.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/review-of-mustang-gt40-different-pov.741633/#post-7705295

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/mustang-gt40.1835951/#post-24288312

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/24292133/

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017

5. djgdgaf1

djgdgaf1 TDPRI Member

Jun 20, 2017
    California
    Didn't know the newbies were being monitored so closely. Just trying to get in the conversation about the new amp :)

Fiesta Red likes this.

6. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    It's hard to miss when people open up duplicate accounts to have conversations with themself about how great the Mustang GT is.

7. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Now that the cats out the bag, that shrit doesn't match those jeans.

8. djgdgaf1

djgdgaf1 TDPRI Member

Jun 20, 2017
    California
    Who has the duplicate account?

9. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    One defect was presumed to be fixed with a firmware update and that wasn't quoted either.
    The point is : Fenderforlife documented EVERY single event that took place in identifying potential problems and SHARING these on the forum. He did go back and forth, which is plenty appropriate with an amp this sophisticated.
    He documented this purchase step by step for the reader's benefit in case they came across the same questions and concerns. He identified the problems, figured out his options, resolved the problems and turned into a success.

So what does he get in return? People dumping on him on and others jumping on the dog pile who had no interest in the amp to begin with. Nice.

10. djgdgaf1

djgdgaf1 TDPRI Member

Jun 20, 2017
    California
    Yea I read that rollercoaster! I don't get how you can base your judgement on a MODELING amp in a few minutes in the store. You need a few days. If you're expecting this amp to sound golden out the box, then this amp may not be for you

Jim Dep likes this.

11. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2013
    Kansas
    And there were two "defects" that would supposably not be present in the new amp when he got it, but were still there. It still doesn't make anything out of context.

So you presume to know who has an interest in buying the amp?

12. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011

13. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    Two words....ignore function. Works great, not more trolls !!! :D

djgdgaf1 likes this.

14. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2013
    Kansas
    Mustang GT - the amp that demands patience and days of tweaking to hunt for a good sound. I liked how the guy who made the video posted in the OP was practically apologizing in advance for the amp sounding poor.

15. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Bwahahaha. Patience and days of tweaking, huh?

Took all of 5 minutes.

The misinformation continues?

I've kinda skipped a lot of the posts by those without or those deciding/commenting based on viewing clips online so forgive me in advance but which model do you own? Have you played it a bunch?

Jim Dep likes this.

16. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2013
    Kansas
    Instead of skipping posts, read them and see how several owners keep saying you CAN'T get a good sound right off the bat. That's what it said in the post I quoted. That's not misinformation but ridiculous rationalization for a poor product.

17. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    Overpriced and doesn't include a footswitch.

18. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    The price is not that bad for the 40 considering it has a nice set of features with the bluetooth and interface. It's unfortunate that it sounds so horrible, but it would make a good practice amp if you could tolerate the poor sound. Sometimes the features can be more important than the sound for a small practice amp.

I'd easily pay that much for a Katana 50 with bluetooth and an interface on the amp that could access the sneaky amps.

Now paying $400 for the GT100 or $600 for the GT200? That's just retarded.

19. JasonKingsX

JasonKingsX Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Austin
    I have an update on my experiences if anyone might find it useful. I decided to give a GT40 a listen to after reading some comments about it. I had tried the GT100 previously when they first came out but came away disappointed for a few reasons. I'm not sure if the GT100 I tried was defective or was an early version but the GT40 I tried was like a completely different product tone-wise. Perhaps it was the full range 6 inch speakers, maybe it was a newer firmware version. Maybe it was because it's stereo. Regardless, I was pretty amazed at how good it sounded. I actually wanted to buy the amp on the spot. It isn't perfect. I prefer the high gain tones I get out of some of my Blackstar amps and a small Yamaha THR10X but... and it's a big but and I can not lie ...
    The cleans and slightly dirty cleans were quite remarkable. I spent an hour or so with all effects off switching between the various cleaner amps. I started with the tone controls at noon and gain fairly low. I then tried various levels of additional gain with some very moderate tweaking of the tone controls to see what they felt and sounded like. I also kept the speaker emulator on the GB12 4x12 as some have suggested. I purposely used a cheap yet decent guitar to try to make it more about the amp. Well... if you like those sort of fender tones... from sparkly, to chime, to Deluxe, Bassman etc... I don't think you can get anywhere close to the GT40 for that kind of money. Sure there were amps I liked more than others. I really dug the Deluxe, Champ, Twin and others I can't recall. They were just loads of fun. Lot's of feel to them and pickup switching was natural sounding. Nice dynamics. For the high gain tones they were useable but took a more tweaking to get in the sweet zone for me. Part of the problem was that someone at Fender decided these amps needed a lot of thump and scoop and to me, they over did it. The over done thump sounded artificial to my ears (and I like some good thump/chunk). Once you "flattened" them out and seasoned to taste they sounded pretty decent. My favorite was the Super Sonic model. Needless to say, unless they completely suck I think adding effects would only sweeten the pot. I'm not sold on what I heard from the bigger GT100 but the GT40 seems like a very good deal for $249. Using a common coupon gets it down to $212 or so and if nothing else that's not very much for an amp to have around the house/studio that lets one explore a bunch of the finer "clean" tones and moderate gain classics. I stand corrected and recommend anyone who might be interested in those type tones to try this amp. I do wish the large knob felt sturdier though.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    dswo and Jim Dep like this.

20. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Ohhhhhkay. Gotcha.

Truth is, you can get a great sound easily and quickly.

Your last line says it all. You just don't get it. Others do and it upsets you for some reason.

Again, do you own one? How long have you played one? Or have you played a 40? If not, why the campaign to bash a fine product you don't have, couldn't have really understood without having and that others are having few issues with? Why bother to keep that up when your posts get weaker over time?

No big deal, free speech. Just not relevant.

Jim Dep likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.