Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Review of Mustang GT40. (different POV)

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by burntfrijoles, Jun 15, 2017.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    A different take.

JasonKingsX likes this.

2. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    @burntfrijoles,

Thanks for posting. I found his review interesting but a little head scratching in a couple places.

Around the 3 minute mark he talks about how it's basically impossible to put a Rode mic in front and get an idea what it really sounds like....bass port on the back, design, and he says it is not designed to be captured by a mic.

We all know how stuff usually sounds on YouTube so he probably has a point lol. But I don't buy it. If I want a practice amp, and I want it to sound good to my ears, it ought to be ok with a mic. People having been mic'ing amps for a long time with good results.

Then at 3:10 he says it sounds fantastic standing in front of the amp, I won't challenge that. But he says it doesn't sound much different between the direct sound when he was using the headphone jack. I disagree, it sounds very different. Not making a value judgement good or bad, but I wonder that he doesn't hear much difference.

Again, not making judgments on what it sounds like from a YouTube clip.

I posted in the long thread about my experience comparing the GT40s 65 Twin and Princeton models directly to a TRRI and a PRRI. I was disappointed that they sounded so different from the real amps. fender4life commented that those presets sound much better and more accurate with a 4x12 cab sim. If that's the case, Fender should have worked a little harder on their factory presets maybe.

I also commented that it was an easy amp to use, and turning a couple knobs really improved the sound. I also commented that people shouldn't expect a $250 amp to sound exactly like a TRRI or PRRI.

I seems like those that like to deep dive into these amps are getting what they want. It has a nice feature set, and that's great! It also seems to me like Fender could have been better prepared in releasing these to the market. Firmware upgrades could help there.

dr_tom likes this.

3. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I saw a guy at GC (much better player than me) switching off between this and a Katana 50. Compared to the Katana, it was like a blanket was laying on top of it. Katana just smoked it in every way. Just my experience though.

soulman969 and Bill like this.

4. Lee1411

Lee1411 TDPRI Member

Jun 4, 2017
    UK
    The sag settings and the simulated cab choice out of the box are primarily responsible for the muffled boxy sound... With not very much tweaking the sound can be opened right up.... I was very sceptical about getting one of these, after the slating on YouTube by intheblues and 60hum.... Im glad I found out for myself, as I have had none of the problem those guys encountered....perhaps they had received faulty units, I dont know

5. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    I never had those issues from the beginning, and i think i know why....i never played the stock presets. Literally not at all. I opened the box, plugged it in and created my first preset immediately. I think at one point i played a few for seconds each and just realized it's not much better then the MIII when it comes to stock presets. And later i created 5 or 6 more and thats all i use. I never use any cab sim other then the 412GB and especially never set the sag to anything but the lowest setting, "less". I don't think it matters what style you play, i would recommend to anyone with a GT to do those 2 things right off the bat. There will be no muffed sound and the dynamics will literally be 75% better. Goodby compressed feeling and boxy/muffled/blanketed sound, whatever you wanna call it.

Cliffyg62 and Jim Dep like this.

6. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

For awhile now it seems that Roland/Boss has been following a path towards better tonality and live performance ready while Fender is pursuing one towards better features and more technical but more home recording capable. Diverging marketing strategies seem to be separating them in this part of the amp market.

Cliffyg62 and RodeoTex like this.

7. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    With a few tweeks in the right places, the Fender Mustangs are great for live work. If I wanted a simple, traditional working amp, I wouldn't be thinking about a modeling amp in the 1st place.

8. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2013
    Kansas
    I'm a little confused. You said you never played the presets and then you said you did and they were better than the MIII. So which is it?

9. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    I never USED them. I quickly spent literally seconds apiece on a few of them and realized they are crap as usual and just went right to making my own. I swear this forum is like a damn courtroom. People scrutinize every little thing you say hoping for a gotcha and you have to spend time scrutinizing your own posts and re-writing them ad nausium so you don't get just these kind of replies. Like you're going to catch me lying about an amp i actually hate but i'm trying to convince you it's great? Good god.

10. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jun 8, 2008
    Maryland
    It would be instructional to see some of you guys' television settings. "Look at how the colors pop! And you can really see the details!" Uh, no, the colors are set to catch the eye across the fluorescent-lit store, your sharpness is set above zero, your contrast is too high, your blacks are crushed... Factory settings are to catch the rubes. Maybe the 00 preset is supposed to be "Smoke on the Water," or whatever the most cliched riff is these days. We could go in the wayback machine and remind all the people who prefer the Mustang III tones that those took a lot of tweaking, too.

11. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    I agree, but it makes you a better writer.
    Keeps you thinking,

12. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    For what little it's worth, I've been reading what I could find on the GT40 and the Vox VT20X and I stumbled onto most of what you've written about this amp. And I wasn't trying to "gotcha" anything, but some of your initial reactions to one of these Mustang GTs (not sure if it was the 40 or 100) were about as awful and negative as anything I've seen about any amp. You've changed your tune, gotten some stuff replaced, and explained your change of heart and equipment, so I'm not giving you a hard time here. But just understand you don't have to be a detective looking for dirt to unearth plenty of it...

I ended up with the VT20X. It sounded immediately damn good and the GT40 didn't. Not to say there aren't great tones to be found in the Mustang, but I didn't want to have to go looking for them. The VT20X was good immediately and has gotten better as I've dialed in my settings. I'm sure I'd have ultimately been very happy with either, but I also saved about $70...

-Ray

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017

13. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    ^
    This is the only plausible explanation if you've heard the sound coming out of the amp.

14. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2013
    Kansas
    Overreact much? You simply weren't making any sense. This isn't about catching anyone lying about an amp they hate but just trying to filter out nonsense in order to get a rational point of view on the amp. So far it only seems to sound okay if you only use a certain cabinet simulation and if you minimize the sag. This doesn't really make the amp very appealing as it lacks versatility right off the bat.

15. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    The whole Mustang GT thread has been one long hyperbolic overreaction.

It has gone from this:

"But i gotta say it;s all i can do to pack it back up now."

"I figured there was always a chance it wouldn't be near as good as i was hoping but this so far seems much worse than i had imagined."

"First, the amp feels and sounds very digital unlike the V2. Amazing. Either i'm setting something wrong or fender just took thier best selling line and destroyed it's tone. It sounds buzzy and stiff. I have only used the bassman model so who knows. But that was my fav by far in the V2 and in this i find it lousy. It was literally unusable with the bassman model set to replicate my V2 as close as i could."

"But I never thought even at it's worse it would be so disappointing so i can't imagine it's going to be a improvement over V2 if even AS good."

"But while i wasn't over the moon thrilled with my V2 at first, i DID think it was quite good. Just not the droolworthy amp it became after i found the best tweaks. If it sounded like this GT-100 i'd never have bought it to begin with. "

To this one day later:

"the plexi and JCM800 models are LIGHT YEARS ahead of the V2. "No comparison" would be an understatement. also, i use delay 100% of the time, just a little like you would reverb to keep it from sounding too dry. I tried the tape delay and wow, that thing is fabulous"

"And the bassman, my go to patch on the V2....i now have it sounding so good i'm in total tone heaven...I friggin love this amp !"

"As to the marshal 70s and 80s models, i think i mentioned it already but they are in a whole other universe than the V2. They sound so much better and so much more like thier real counterparts"

" One thing about the bassman in the GT is the low end is far nicer in that it doesn't sound muddy like the V2 when driven."

"It's just like a higher quality version as are all the models i have spent enough time with. It's the thing fender mentions about more processing power giving it "better fidelity". That was right on. The models are just more real and alive."

"This is my way of seeing if the tone fits in a mix when i can't try it in a band context. I was immediately smiling. The tone cut thru and even sounded better to me than it did solo. This was with the bassman. The middle position on my tele was just amazing."

"i think the clean tone on this model is better then any of the other fender models !"

"the GT is easily superior. Not just a little, a LOT."

Georox and dobrojoe like this.

16. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    London
    Maybe they should rename it the Fender Polarizer.

17. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado

If it went from phenomenal to horrible, then one could look to a technical failure in the amp. Here we have someone who's knowledgeable with amps, including modeling amps, has taken this GT from being a disappointment to being really pleased with it, and willing to share in detail how he's made that type of progress. What doesn't make sense is throwing mud for no purpose other than to jump on the pile.

EDIT: I'm adding that the person who took all the time to attack Fenderforlife with quotes left out a couple crucial pieces. FFL returned his 1st Mustang GT which was DEFECTIVE and there was testing done about the difference made while breaking in the speaker. Amazing how taking comments out of context and leaving out certain developments can try to influence other people's opinions.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017

18. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2013
    Kansas
    Nothing here is out of context. FFL posted these comments before he traded the amp back in. Also it's unclear why he traded the amp. He said it was a "keeper," and the only thing wrong was the plastic logo. When he said he exchanged it a couple of days later he said it was because of the grill being loose but cited no real defect.

19. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    *nauseum
    :D:D:D

20. djgdgaf1

djgdgaf1 TDPRI Member

Jun 20, 2017
    California
    I have not had a chance to play them because most German stores do not have them in stock yet but I am thinking about purchasing one online. The reviews at first were negative but now they are getting mixed. Still not many videos on youtube however, hoping more people would post themselves jamming or something

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.