Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Reverend guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by jjkrause84, Mar 5, 2010.

1. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

Hey guys....anyone here ever played/owned a Reverend? I'm looking at their "Club King" (a semi-hollow, 25.5 scale guitar with P90s) and would love to hear your experiences

2. LaExpatriot

LaExpatriot Tele-Meister

My brother bought a Flatrock a couple months back and loves it. It played really well right our of the box.
    Never played the club kings but every guitar of tehirs I have ever played was fantastic.
    IMHO a total bargain for what you get.

3. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

I have a Flatroc. I've owned several real or "faux" Gretsches over the years, including a '60 Double Anniversary (for that year it's the same as a 6120 but with different finish) and my Flatroc is the best "Gretsch" I've ever owned. I frankly don't think Revs are the prettiest guitars in the world, but they feel and sound great, and not just for their price. It shows what a bit of design forethought and a few slightly higher quality stock componants (better tuners, pickups, hardware, fret wire) can do for a Korean cookie cutter lathe-made instrument (as far as I can tell they're made at the same factory as Ibanez. The truss rod cut in the headstock, fretboard overhang, string tree and jackplate were identical to my brother's Jet King). Believe the hype.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

6. don jon

don jon Tele-Meister

I own a Reverend Charger 290 (Korean Made) with a Les Trem and it has become my go to guitar for most any purpose. They really are great instruments. The semi-hollow bodies have a nice acoustic sustain and a lot of percussive dynamics. The Reverend P-90's are creamier and not as brittle and high output as Gibson's. They sound amazing IMO, and the bass contour control with the P-90's gives you a huge range of tones to choose from. With the bass cranked up you get an awesome vintage LP type tone with lots of chunky bite. And with the bass contour down you can get awesome twangy Tele-like bridge pickup tones. The neck is comfortable, the 25.5 scale and 12" radius fingerboard make for a great feel, and the 290 models are wired so that the middle position is humbucking.

I haven't played the Club King, but I highly recommend Reverend guitars. If I was going to buy new, I think I would spend my money on another Reverend. they are a lot of bang for your buck IMO. ;)

[​IMG]

7. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

Unknown Hinson - that's good enough for me!

Attached Files:

8. choosymothers

choosymothers Tele-Meister

would love to get my hands on that new pete anderson model hollowbody- sweet

9. Dave_O

Dave_O Friend of Leo's

I've "reverse inherited" my son's Daredevil...

[​IMG]

great guitar out of the box. It rocks.

10. weldfish

weldfish TDPRI Member

I have a Reverend Buckshot model. Best guitar I have ever played in 20 plus years. The Club King with the P90's is an awesome guitar. I have played one extensively at a local music store. You get a sweet sounding tone with the p90's.

11. jjkrause84

My main questionis:

Are they good guitars for the price or are they simply, flat out "good guitars"?

12. BGTele

BGTele Tele-Afflicted

I'd say they are just good guitars based on their sound and quality of build. I have
    a Roundhouse with P-90s and those PUs sound better than a Gibson I have with P-90s.
    The "Bass Contour" feature is more than a gimmick, it gives you a wide tonal option.
    Most folks I know are surprised the first time they try a Reverend. Good pickups.

13. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

Man, I so want a Reverend... unfortunately, the local store that is the dealer knows less about them than I do. :(

14. goldtopper

goldtopper Friend of Leo's

Good at any price. One of the best necks in the business on my buckshot.

15. jjkrause84

Oh...another question....

Do they take any custom orders? I'd love a THREE pickup Club King. They do have other three-P90 guitars but they're all 24.75 scales :(

16. awfulguitarnois

awfulguitarnois Tele-Holic

Hi, I've owned several US and Import Revs, and my JetStream 390 is the best guitar I've ever played, regardless of price. And if you call them, chances are that Joe may answer the phone. Great people there and incredible guitars.

To answer your last question, they don't do custom orders.

Best necks ever... ever.

17. tomtheguitarguy

tomtheguitarguy Tele-Meister

How is the Tremolo on the guitar?

I was looking into a Flatroc, but with the way the "butt" of the guitar is kinda slanted, it looked liked I couldn't fit a Hipshot Bender onto it.

18. dB

dB Tele-Holic

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the Daredevil is just BAD@SS!

I want one. :mrgreen:

19. Canuckcaster

Canuckcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've played a Daredevil 290, and a Manta Ray 290. The were both great guitars. I want one.

CC

20. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

I bought a Les Trem after I tried one on a Reverend, in a store.

It's amazingly, stunningly good. Smooth. Maybe the best, most responsive tremolo I've ever used. Like a good Bigsby, only smoother.

21. don jon

don jon Tele-Meister

+1 on what Beep Click already stated. The Les Trem is the smoothest tremolo I have ever used. It's sturdier and truer than a Bigsby and the action is absolutely perfect IMO. It makes string changing a breeze and I haven't been able to beat my Charger out of tune after days of wailing on the Les Trem. Unfortunately they don't sell them. And like another poster already mentioned they don't do custom orders. They sell less than a handful of replacement parts. They don't sell their pickups separate at all. :mad:

I love the guitars. I mean if you are thinking about buying one don't hesitate. It's not just a good guitar for the price, or just a good guitar for a Korean made instrument. Reverend guitars are great guitars period. And they are priced very competitively. The action, fit, and finish is comparable to or better than any Plek'd Gibson I've owned (I've owned 3). ;)

And when I look up on my wall and think hmmmmmmm..... which one should I jam with today??? I more often than not find myself picking up my Charger 290 over my Gibson SG Standard, Gibson Zoot Suit SG, Fender Hwy. One 60th Anniversary Telecaster w/ Duncan Alnico II Pro pups, and my MIM 1996 Strat w/ upgraded vintage saddles and Duncan JB bridge pup. The Reverend just feels great, takes the strengths from the G's and F's, and addresses all the weaknesses of said big name instruments nicely. It also has a very original style and that unprecedented bass contour that I wish I could install in all my guitars. Sorry for babbling, but I love that doggone guitar. I just wish (like many others) that Joe would take custom orders and sell the pickups and more replacement parts on his website.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.