Reverb pedal recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by JBFatFingers, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Holic

Love my Catalinbread Topanga for very realistic spring reverb. I'd consider the EQD Afterneath or Mr. Black Super Swell.

santiago53 and JBFatFingers like this.
  2. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Had a Mr. Black Deluxe Plus, which sounded great but not being able to toggle the trem and verb independently drove me nuts. I now have a Topanga which is great too.

RetroTeleRod and JBFatFingers like this.
  3. elmoscafeo

elmoscafeo Tele-Afflicted

I prefer the Digitech Polara.

4. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Meister

I went to sam ash and guitarcenter yesterday. I was pretty set on the Polara because of the lexicon reverb algorithms. It's a great pedal. I was also interested in the hof2, played it for 5 minutes and bought it. The mash button is no gimmick, it's a game changer. You can go from a completely dry signal to completely wet with the mash or add on full on shimmer.

Flakey likes this.
  5. esteewee

esteewee TDPRI Member

Check out 60 cycle hum on YouTube. That guy seems to be obsessed with spring reverb pedals and has reviewed most of them.

For me, the Boss FRV-1 does the trick. I also have the Oceans 11 which is nice but a bit too clean for my liking. Most people online prefer the Oceans 11 by the way.

A few weeks ago I saw a demo of the Mr. Black Super Swell. I think this is the nicest spring reverb pedal demo I've heard. Definitely worth checking out.

6. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

I love the Polara. I have 2, actually. The hall and room settings are gorgeous.

But, I think the spring setting is not so great. There's other pedals that are much more convincing, IMO.

elmoscafeo and NICQ like this.
  7. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Holic

I personally love spring reverb. I only like real spring though. I’ve owned the topanga and spring theory but they still sounded digital to me. I currently have the eqd ghost echo and love it. I like that it’s not trying to emulate spring reverb. If I were to get another reverb I would get a holy grail big box. I even like the flerb setting occasionally.
    I have found that some digital reverbs are noisy when used in certain settings, old basement or garage, even when using an isolated power supply.
    I say grab a ghost echo, they are reasonably priced used and easy enough to flip if you don’t like it.

JBFatFingers likes this.
  8. kbold

kbold Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Lotus pedals - Iceverb. Very natural sounding. What it does, it does very well.

JBFatFingers likes this.
  9. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I only gave up my Boss Fender Reverb pedal when I shed a few amps and bought an actual Fender reverb amp. Boss pedals are my favourite anyway, so any Boss pedal would work fine!

JBFatFingers likes this.
  10. triviani

triviani Tele-Meister

I’ve have used all of the above (minus Topanga) and kept SolidGoldFx Surf Rider III.

JBFatFingers likes this.
  11. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I’m smitten by a Keeley Omni. Spring, Hall, and Plate settings, sounds great in all 3. Two knobs. Cheap and easy.

JBFatFingers likes this.
  12. fretflip

fretflip TDPRI Member

A lot of reverb! :) Thank you.

13. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Surfy Bear. Well, someone had to write it.

It depends on how much sproing you want with your spring. Do you want a little shimmer?, the Boss is very good ( out of my price range though ). The cheap as a cheap meal Mosky does a fairly good job, but they don't sproing.

I have a Digitech Digiverb, which has a superb set of reverbs in it, and a passable spring emulation, but it doesn't cut the mustard like a real spring does when going for some big-wave surf splash. I've tried many emulation pedals, and none do 'over the top' like a proper spring.

I bought a Danelectro Spring-King, and it has many charms, but one huge drawback. It needs modifying to remove/control the built in pre-delay. It does have some real charm to it, and many great sounds can be coaxed from it despite that ruddy delay. Set just so, it's a treat to the ear. Set just off, and it annoys greatly. A tremolo in front of it makes delicious sounds. Caveat emptor there!.

Room/hall/plate are all very well done in the digital realm. Only wobbly metal does the real spring thing.

Flakey and BorderRadio like this.
  14. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

I bought a Strymon Flint to use with my Origin 50 head. Eventually to scratch the itch, I bought a Mosky spring reverb, which is a direct copy of the Malekko Omicron Spring Reverb.

Let's just say that the Strymon, while extremely tweakable and offers way more sounds than the Mosky, is sitting on the pile not doing much. The Mosky, with just 2 knobs, gives me the spring reverb I've always wanted.

navigate40 likes this.
  15. Erdowonge

Erdowonge TDPRI Member

Mosky spring reverb ,its a chinese clone of Malekko Omicron Spring Reverb.Cost about 35 bucks.Powered by adaptor only (its a mini pedal).Its very nice

IMG_20190611_101758.jpg

Edit: like Crawldaddy said :)

16. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I alweays liked the Digitech Hardwire RV-7. Lexicon algorithms, super solid build, lots of nice options. 91ENSDeWZVL._SY679_.jpg

Flakey, BB and RetroTeleRod like this.
  17. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Sole-Mate. Real spring reverb. Very Fendery sound. I also have a HOF that truthfully is quite adequate in a band setting.

18. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

I have been considering a verb pedal, despite there being a decent one in my amp's DSP. However, now I am thinking about the TC or Boss pedals after reading the replies.

19. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

That does look nice but $129 ain't cheap for a simple reverb these days.

I personally never liked "room" settings. They should have filled that spot with something more interesting.

lineboat likes this.
  20. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

TC has great stuff, although I don't have the HoF specifically.

A bit niche, but my reverb is currently the Mad Professor Silver Spring. Despite the name, not trying to be a spring reverb clone. It has three knobs and can go from rather springy sounds to plate-like. Most musical of the bunch when I went on my own hunt (Polara, RV-7, Faux Spring, ....). If you see a used one at a decent price, get it.

JBFatFingers likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.