Reverb pedal recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by JBFatFingers, Jun 10, 2019.

1. JBFatFingers

JBFatFingers Tele-Meister

My #1 amp is now a Marshall Origin 20 which doesn't have onboard reverb. Looking for something that primarily does a nice spring reverb emulation for an always-on effect - anything beyond that is gravy. Would prefer something slightly tweakable but don't need something with six knobs and three toggles. Don't want to spend a ton but am willing to spend a decent amount, plus I'll probably buy used anyway. At this point top contenders appear to be EQD Ghost Echo or Wampler Faux Spring - would love to hear any thoughts on these or other recommendations (maybe the Boss RV-6 or one of EHX's options?). TIA.

2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Boss RV-6 is terrific! In addition to the Spring you will be getting some other great modes. I love the Plate for my always-on clean tone.

SolidSteak, jannodude, E5RSY and 3 others like this.
  3. GibbyTwin

GibbyTwin Tele-Meister

somewhere between Asbury Park and Atlantic City
    Tons of pedals out there that may scratch the itch. That said, I, too, have an RV-6 that I like very much and has lots of flexibility at a mid-range price new.

JBFatFingers and RetroTeleRod like this.
  4. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

SubDecay Super Spring Theory. I come from an extreme surf guitar background with very drippy reverb, but as I moved away from that, I still wanted some delicious spring. The surprise is the "room" verb in this pedal. The perfect touch for ambiance. Bonus is the "trails" switch. A lifer pedal for me and I bought it used a few years ago.

JBFatFingers likes this.
  5. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

JBFatFingers likes this.
  6. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

Hall of fame mini. Dial in the reverb you dig, one knob, tiny footprint. I’m currently using a zoom ms-50g for reverb, Eq and tuner in a single stomp size to save some space.

7. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

I've got the EHX Holy Grail Nano and it does everything I need, I never think about getting another reverb.

8. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Holic

I got a TC Electronics Hall of Fame pedal a few years ago for Xmas and never played it. Would be willing to sell if you're interested.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Deathray likes this.
  9. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I'm running a TC Electronics T2 in the fx loop -- not a spring sound but there are some nice deep room & plate sounds that work really well with this amp, and a gated plate that can work almost like a slapback. It also does a bunch of wacky stuff that I never use -- but it's an always-on pedal.

10. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Meister

TC Electronics HOF - super versatile

11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Catalinbread Topanga is excellent and takes dirt well. One available in the classifieds too :D

JBFatFingers and SolidSteak like this.
  12. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Ecadad likes this.
  13. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

IMHO, spring reverb is one of those effects that is tough to get right digitally without spending a bit of money for a good unit. Having said that, the Hall Of Fame does a pretty good job of it.

Deathray likes this.
  14. drewcp

drewcp Tele-Meister

I picked up a Ghost Echo after buying a cheap reverb pedal from Amazon that was awful. The EQD can get weird, but also does a nice reasonable reverb. I wouldn't hesitate to use it over the amp reverb in my DSL40, or the Digital Reverb in my ValveKing 20MH or SCX2 heads

JBFatFingers likes this.
  15. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Hall of Fame works well, people swear by Catalinbread Topanga, Boss RV6 or any of the RV series are good. I use the MXR M300 now. I found it a little warmer. Of course, the Boss FRV-1 is a dead on Fender reverb sound but can get a little too harsh at the far end of he settings but they've become pricey since they don't make them anymore.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    srvbluezz and cm3ohana like this.
  16. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

I tried the Boing the other day at the shop and loved it, little pricey for me though since I already have a decent reverb pedal. But I'm itching for a Boing.

17. TwangBrain

TwangBrain TDPRI Member

Subdecay spring theory, or if you play with decay/feedback, the Caroline Meteore.

Obsessed likes this.
  18. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Had a HoF for my 5E3, sold it after hearing/buying a Strymon Flint. HoF can take you down a rabbit hole with all the options; in this context, EHX Oceans 11 is another alternative.
    As others have said, you kinda get what you pay for but used Flints are a little easier on the wallet.

19. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Meister

Another vote for the Hall of Fame.

srvbluezz likes this.
  20. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I'd also recommend either the RV-6 or Catalinbread Topanga. I had both and only got rid of them after I got a Strymon Flint, which falls into the "six knobs and three toggles" category :D Sometimes I wish I'd have kept the Topanga though... it had a built in boost!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.