Reverb Distorting on Twin Reverb Clone ( Earth G2000 )

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jondom22, Jun 11, 2012.

1. jondom22

jondom22 TDPRI Member

I picked up a Twin Reverb in a head clone a lil while back and had it gone over by my tech, etc etc (replaced what needed to be replaced).

Long story short, is that when the reverb is on, it creates a pretty crappy distortion when I play any notes or chords.

Per the other forums, I cleaned the cables that go from the reverb tank to the jacks, cleaned the jacks on the chassis and tank, opened up the tank to see if there were any mechanical problems, and then replaced both V3 and V tubes. None of these changed the problem.

Please also note that the RCA cables that connect the tank to the jacks on the chassis are actually inside the chassis, due to the layout of where the physical tank is (in other words, the RCA cables dont connect to the actual back of the jacks on the amp like in a Fender amp, but rather are soldered on in the inside of the amp to the jacks).

Does this sound like I need a new reverb tank, or is this something more in the circuitry?

BTW - It sounds really nice without the reverb on both channels.

(for those that are not familiar with the amp, it is almost 100% identical to a Twin Reverb or Dual Showman Reverb). There is a schematic for this head online at the earth amp page website (something like earthamppage.com???)

Thanks for the help in advance.

2. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Reverb tanks are fragile. Sometimes they're noisy before they quit entirely. Give the tank a visual inspection, sometimes you'll find a broken spring. The springs need to float where they meet the transducers. If they're off center or touching something they shouldn't it will sound bad.

Swap the tank with a known good one. If it sounds better you've isolated your problem.

If not there are two tubes in the circuit, a driver and recovery. If swapping the tank doesn't help swap the tubes one at a time.

Beyond that you're running outta options. Could be a really dirty reverb pot or maybe a short list of small parts that rarely fail.

3. jondom22

jondom22 TDPRI Member

i already changed the 2 tubes that deal with the reverb (v3 and v4). just wanna see if it might b any other parts (caps, resisters, bad joints, etc) that might b causing this before i buy a replacement tank.

any ideas?

4. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Has it always done this?
    Some times the reverb pan is to close to the amp and can be a problem.

5. jondom22

jondom22 TDPRI Member

ya its always done this. i guess it could b a faulty design cos the tabks is literally right next to the guts of the amp.

6. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Try taking the tank out of the amp and put it further away from the chassis and see if that helps.

7. 72 reissue

72 reissue TDPRI Member

Same deal here!

I have a 64 ri fender vibro verb that does the same thing. Had to have the spring re soldered. It has done this twice, both times it started playing an awful distortion. Bad with picking a single string, but when you strum, i couldn't stand the sound. Boths times the reverb stopped working completely. Anyone know what it would cost to find a new tank? Sounds like that what it's gonna take to fix it.

8. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

so I am curious are these really a Twin clone completely or is there different circuit changes from a twin?Just wondering.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.