Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Reveal serial number - not done?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by WingedWords, Dec 7, 2018.

1. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Feb 4, 2015
    UK and EU
    I get the impression that revealing full serial numbers isn't done. I'd love to know what happened to my first Telecaster for no other reason than to know it's well and being played. I have the serial number. What do people think?

This was it just before I traded it in for a bass amp in the mid/late 90's:

20181025_114306.jpg

GreatDaneRock likes this.
  2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Purdy.

I think the main reason people conceal that information is to avoid people making claims that they once owned something and that it was stolen and a police report filed. Also, people will screen grab an image of a guitar and then claim to have such a guitar for sale on the Internet. An image showing the headstock with the serial number might compel someone to take a chance and forward money they can't claw back.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. WingedWords

Feb 4, 2015
    UK and EU
    Thanks, that makes sense.

4. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Think of the guitar's serial number in the same way you think of YOUR SSN...give it to NOBODY unless they have the authority to jail you for NOT giving it.

nojazzhere and WingedWords like this.
  5. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 1, 2011
    Glendale, AZ
    Also, fakers have been know to skim serial numbers off the internet.

6. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    +1 on the "keep it secret" side. Unscrupulous trolls DO lurk in the shadows...

7. WingedWords

Feb 4, 2015
    UK and EU
    Thanks. Your points all taken on board and appreciated.

8. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

With Fender's, posting the first few numbers/letters of a serial number will pretty much tell you what you need to know about the guitar without revealing the whole number.

WingedWords likes this.
  9. WingedWords

Feb 4, 2015
    UK and EU
  10. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    As I buy and sell a lot I often ask for serial numbers from sellers who claim not to know much about the guitar. I call Fender almost daily to verify exactly what I should be looking at since there are so many partscasters out there. Only once in my hundreds of dealings did someone not want to give me the serial.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.