Retire in another country ???

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Wizard1962, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Its recommended then if you're staying' in Minnesota that Mankato is a great place to retire. Why? I couldn't tell you.

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

What about bloozedaddy open-mics?

drlucky likes this.
  3. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

Well you still can I suppose, with the comfort zone in the local community of other exPats I suppose, and can still go out to other towns etc and utilize the language, and experience the culture more.

Martin R likes this.
  4. sudogeek

sudogeek TDPRI Member

@magicfingers99: My buddy Matt married a dancer and is really into tango, ballroom, etc. He and wife live in Buenos Aires 2-3 mo a year; apparently there is a big dance scene. We visited and it was nice. They have an big apartment and pay ~$1k a month including live-in cook/maid. Good medical care and decent public transport. We liked Bariloche better - lots of Euro ex-pats, more expensive, especially in ski season, but nice in the summer (our winter). Argentina does not tax pension income. Other retirement income (from a 401k) is also tax-free (according to Matt). However, you still have to pay US income tax even if a permanent resident.

Because we like to flee the FL summers, we’ve generally focused on North of the Equator.

SE Asia was nice and inexpensive - Indo + Malaysia cheap, Vietnam and Thailand a bit more expensive, and $ingapore was outta sight. I met lots of Aussie and Euro ex-pats working there. Too far from the grandkids though.

5. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Funny you mention that. Shortly before I left the states, a saleswoman was helping me buy something so I could move to England. She asked me why I chose England. I told her it’s because it’s a foreign country but I speak the language.

She then asked me. “Oh really? What language do they speak there?”

stevemc, kLyon and Rustbucket like this.
  6. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Tele-Holic

Excellent health care, stable economy....

7. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

tell me that you winked at her, leaned in and said, 'why the language of love'.....

8. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I ALREADY live in an exotic location.
    Trust me guys it's not worth it.
    I can't move whet I retire for the simple fact that in my exotic location there will soon be no actual pensions for the citizens in order for them to retire....
    Still I would love to move to Berlin in order to live the rest of my life within western civilization.
    Oh and another thing,loving a place that you visit as a TOURIST does not guarantee that you will love it as a permanent resident.

Robert H. likes this.
  9. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Holic

Just move to Gainesville, Rome or Newnan and you'll have affordable housing with big city benefits an hour away.

I am fortunate enough to be living in paradise (Florida Keys). It is tough to consider leaving here for any reason, though the cost of living is high. The flip side is that speaking English, Spanish and decent Portuguese has allowed me to live, visit and/or be exposed to many other cultures.

My conclusion: I'm traveling, but staying put. I'd consider moving back to Spain, but that would be tough on me with my adult kids staying here in the U.S.

kLyon likes this.
  10. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If I had to live in another country, I've always thought Australia and Argentina would be two places that I could like. As mentioned previously, I too have read several articles on Portugal stating it to be affordable with nice people and an overall nice place to live.

11. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Why not. Many Germans, Dutch and Austrians , as well as Australians retire to Bali. Gret return rate on money changing and beautiful atmosphere in the country areas. Also met a few in Thailand.
    My ex and I were going to retire in Bali but her lawyer fixed that.:cry:

12. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The best part was she had just told me was was in college studying to be an international business major.

getbent likes this.
  13. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

We went to Costa Rica recently to the mountains above and east of San Isidro. We really enjoyed it. Lots of American living there. Canadians, Europeans. Seems like the country has its head on straight.

A friend is a historian of Argentina, goes there all the time, love sit, but he said no way in hell would he think of retiring to Argentina. Too politically unstable.

I'm still aiming for Ireland. Easy to get to, modern european nation with good infrastructure and healthcare, they speak english, beautiful scenery, a small country not a big player in world politics. You guys can have your hot weather! Brexit might screw Ireland up though, watching closely.

14. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

A lot of those central and south american countries are just like living in California but much cheaper.:)

15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

:D:D:D:D

You won't catch me wanting to move to anyplace like that. If SS benefits are going to be part of your plan, you'd better make sure it's available to you in the country you're headed for. Some places you go to, you can't collect SS benefits.

16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

My sentiments, too, but I would like less rain than Ireland sees.

Someone mentioned Mérida, the capital of Yucatan state. Yikes! I looked at its climate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mérida,_Yucatán#Climate

Here are the average (average!) highs for months and the year, in degrees (Fahrenheit degrees).

Jan 30.8 (87.4)
    Feb 31.5 (88.7)
    Mar 34.0 (93.2)
    Apr 35.6 (96.1)
    May 36.3 (97.3)
    Jun 35.3 (95.5)
    Jul 35.0 (95.0)
    Aug 34.9 (94.8)
    Sep 34.2 (93.6)
    Oct 32.7 (90.9)
    Nov 31.5 (88.7)
    Dec 30.6 (87.1)
    Year33.5 (92.3)

Previously I had been looking at the Chilean ocean-side city of La Serena: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Serena,_Chile#Climate

Jan 21.4 (70.5)
    Feb 21.4 (70.5)
    Mar 20.3 (68.5)
    Apr 18.4 (65.1)
    May 16.9 (62.4)
    Jun 15.8 (60.4)
    Jul 15.5 (59.9)
    Aug 15.7 (60.3)
    Sep 16.4 (61.5)
    Oct 17.4 (63.3)
    Nov 18.6 (65.5)
    Dec 20.0 (68.0)
    Year18.2 (64.8)

Summary.

laserena.jpg

maxvintage and kLyon like this.
  17. Toto'sDad

We had intended to move when I retired from the country of California to the United States, Arkansas in particular, but my wife started dragging her heels about leaving the family behind. Now eight years later, the family is talking about moving to the United States too, now WE'LL be the ones left behind. I'm okay with that though, I've come full circle. I hate, despise, detest, and besides all that can't stand cold weather. I don't want to live anywhere it gets any colder than it does right here in Bakersfield. While it's not a consideration for some, golf is very important to me, I am not going to live anywhere I can't play year round. My son has some property in Florida, if I were going anywhere, I'd either buy or rent one of his houses, and try and adjust to the hurricanes.

18. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

DonM and Toto'sDad like this.
  19. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

I love this guy, but I had to turn on subtitles to make sure I didn't miss anything.
    he's great. Ghosties...

Kevin Bridges, he's got a couple of specials, all well worth watching. But if your not up on your dialects, you might want subtitles or slow the playback down a wee bit if your device allows those options.

In Scotland we don't say why, we say how?

20. Toto'sDad

I'm not going to be living in another country but if I did, I'd make sure I was legit in drawing my SS benefits, they would be too much to risk losing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.