Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Retire in another country ???

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Wizard1962, Feb 11, 2019 at 1:22 PM.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

the strug for us would be how often we'd see our kids and (someday) grandkids and extended family. If we didn't have that 'want' we'd move to Chile (or Argentina) or some place like New Zealand or something and see how that was.... I love latin america, I have a good friend who left for Thailand 20 years ago and stayed... One of my friends is from Vietnam and told me he wants us to 'go home with him' for a month and see it all... he says he will retire there 'now'.... We have relatives in the Netherlands who say it is fantastic to live there and lots of Canadian friends... Mexico is maybe my second favorite place... I have always loved it there... but..... the family thing and the love I have for where we currently live will keep us close and happy.... but, in my mind..... I go everywhere and LOVE it.

2. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    all depends whats important to you. do you speak a foreign language or want to learn one? Do you want an urban or suburban or rural lifestyle? Some countries don't allow foriegners to own property (real estate) - I beleive mexico has a law prohibiting non-citizens from purchasing land within 50 miles of the ocean.

Panama has a large english speaking population in some areas.

I've thought about becoming an expat myself, just have to wait until i find someplace that ticks all the boxes.

tery likes this.
  3. Wizard1962

Wizard1962 TDPRI Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Victoria Tx
    I like that idea !!!!!

4. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI

That's another country. Well done.

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Heh! Like the old joke about the Englishman in Soviet-era Moscow. A soldier blocked him from entering a building: "No foreigners!" "I'm not a foreigner, I'm English."

Gibson likes this.
  6. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    Since we the people decided to devalue our currency by around 15% a couple of years ago it is a tad more difficult. We have a house in France, but I don't speak french too well and my wife's french is even worse. Being Irish she lives to talk, so it would never work. I know that she would like to retire back to Ireland, but I would struggle as I find the french easier to understand. My first grandson, lives with his mum and dad in the south of Spain, and my other daughter has mentioned living in a number of countries. So I shall probably stay here with my bandmates.

tery likes this.
  7. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    I'm staying right hear in Rocklin CA. (just out of Sacramento) until I can move 2402 miles west. :)

8. alexwilds

alexwilds TDPRI Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Japan
    I`m from South Carolina. It`s about like other states with better weather. But I am retiring to a small farm in Hagi, Japan, a lovely island on the Sea of Japan. Excellent health care, zero crime, super cheap property. But I go every year to St Augustine, FL, to play music and hang out in swamps and spanish moss.

kLyon and esetter like this.
  9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Where is that? The only Hagi I know is in Yamaguchi. I'm more of a Hokkaido guy.

10. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

Feb 5, 2015
    ca
    i love hokkaido as well... the snorkel deep pow surfing... love to get back there...

11. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Ones status and obligations to any foreign country may limit the opportunity for permanent residency in that country . Factors they require may include income , land ownership , the ability to marry, and even the requirement for military service etc . Residency is not citizenship and it may be limited or temporary at their discretion .
    That is an applicable consideration to the OP subject of retirement in another country .

12. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

It seems one would need a most excellent lawyer covering ALL bases to reside in those countries too. All for a "nominal fee" of course! :)

13. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

Nov 22, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    Thought about it.

Then my grandkids started arriving and I enjoy being Pop Pop too much to move farther away. Grandkids got my wife and I thinking about moving to an American city I dislike to be closer to them and the kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

getbent likes this.
  14. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

I could see the lure of an exotic location for retirement, but how do you save money by moving? The move itself seems prohibitive. You can't take your community with you, I assume you have to liquidate most of a household to minimize shipping, and my final question, is it cheaper, or are you really just dropping a few stations in lifestyle?

If dropping a few stations in lifestyle is an option, there are many rural communities in many states that offer low taxes, cheap real estate prices, and the rest is up to you. I bet South Carolina becomes very comparable.

15. esetter

esetter Friend of Leo's

Sep 1, 2011
    MI
    I live in S.E. Michigan and am planning on retiring to a cabin in the UP. Some say that’s a whole different country! My goal is to be in the middle of one of the National Forests that we have up there.

aerhed likes this.
  16. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    Dude! Pasties every day!

esetter, CharlieO and getbent like this.
  17. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Afflicted

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    I lived downstate before I moved to WY. We looked at the UP hard. I lived in Marquette for awhile. At the time there were LOTS of acreage available at under $100 acre, but I still had to make a living. Anyway I decided to pick mountains and wilderness over black flies and Skeeter's.

esetter likes this.
  18. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    I have a friend that works offshore on oil rigs or cargo ships. Most of the older guys he works with retire or end up living in and flying to work out of the Philippines or Thailand after their third marriage fails. These guys travel the world for their whole working life so if they settle there it must provide the best bang for your buck.

tomkatf likes this.
  19. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 5, 2011
    Alberta, Canada
    I'd move to the US but only for the winters. I've been to the US on many occasions and I always feel comfortable there.

20. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I know three people who have retired in Costa Rica and another in Mexico. Yup, very nice accommodations for the price, but they all keep coming back up to "visit". Now one of them realizes that they can't afford to come back.

stevemc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.