Retire in another country ???

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Wizard1962, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Wizard1962

Wizard1962 TDPRI Member

Our first choice would be rural setting in the US. laid back and easy living that wont suck our retirement dry.
    But like you said, hard to find.

Harry Styron likes this.
  2. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I am inclined to agree with you, but I don’t agree with how you arrived at that conclusion from Slauson Slim’s post. He’s calculating the costs and concerned about potable water, earthquakes and racism. That all seems pretty reasonable to me.

3. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Double post

4. sudogeek

sudogeek TDPRI Member

I’ve travelled all over Central and South America, Europe, and South Asia. I have considered retiring in Costa Rica but the medical care outside of San Jose is marginal. Plus costs in CR are probably >80% of US in my estimation. English is taught in the schools and spoken widely and there is a large ex-pat community. The “Tico Times” is published there, supposedly the largest circulation paper in English in CA. Mexico is cheaper, though. Many Americans live there and commute to the US for medical care.

My wife and I are currently considering half-time residence in Colombia, the city of Manizales in particular, for the summers. Inexpensive, great climate, good medical care (medical school located there and several well-staffed hospitals), and very safe. A bit more expensive than Mex and decent Spanish required. However, many pluses: up in the mountains, in the coffee growing region, with great food and culture.

5. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

Nope, the world is too mad & bad where I could afford to retire to, I'm already retired & live 500 metres away from where I was brought up. :D

Greggorios likes this.
  6. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I dream of retiring to ireland. Not cheap though.

JayFreddy likes this.
  7. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I also imagine retiring to an urban area. I hate being car-dependent and imagine a retirement that involves walking to stuff. Ireland has lots of county towns.

kLyon and JayFreddy like this.
  8. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I would move to Mexico in a hot minute.

At one time we had retirement on a Bahama out island in our sights.

Costa Rica ain't what it used to be, but I know several people who've made most of their adult lives there. They got in early, bought land, and have been selling lots ever since.

New developments and consequent changes in circumstances mean that we're probably staying right here for the foreseeable future. Oh well, people retire to here every day so I'll just make the best of it.

kLyon likes this.
  9. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Yes, and the well-known love that Brits have for mindless Yank-bashing is readily apparent in your post. Lack of drinking water and health care access doesn't exactly fall under "irrational fear of the unknown" for someone contemplating retirement.

RedRock and drf64 like this.
  10. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

Make SURE you actually OWN the home and land. I think in many S. American countries (Mexico included) you do NOT unless you or your spouse was born there. Yes, you can probably get something very nice for $80K but there's always the possibility of "that" knock on the door. I can't handle living like that........esp. when retired......

tery likes this.
  11. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

In what way does that comment relate to the OP's original question? What does citizenship have to do with what he asked?

12. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Wizard, I thought Texas was a hoe nuthuh country. Aren't you already there?

daddyplaysbass and Wizard1962 like this.
  13. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

This thread could go political. I'll just say I served this country in some way my whole life. Not gone no where, and S. Carolina is foreign enough.

14. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

No, not fearful of unknown or unfamiliar. If we planned to get a place and spend a good amount of time in Baja Sur, or live there, earthquakes, lack of reliable fresh water and how property is owned would be factors. We were down there three times scoping it out, and were close to making a down payment - the price was affordable. Other negative factors were the shiftiness of the US and Canadian developers, the inability to get straight answers to simple questions, and the too good to be true vibe about the development. The developers later went bankrupt and were shown to have over-promised as to infrastructure and amenities, and construction quality and scheduling for the dwellings. Also, it struck us as incongruous to move to Mexico to be around Canadians and Americans. The nearby town was charming and pokey and had some Euro and Argentine expats.

jhundt and drf64 like this.
  15. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Good point. No one wants to live in constant fear and suspicion of their surroundings. I don't know how I would get up out of bed everyday if I were one of the 7 billion people in the world who don't live in the Midwest, especially with an understanding of math and statistics that doesn't compound that fear.

matrix likes this.
  16. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Just build a shed out the back, and call it the Republic of Wizard-i-stan or something. Make your own flag and beer, and issue passports to your mates. You can live off the earnings of tourism. Sorted!

17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Math is scary enough!

18. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

If my kids and grandkids weren't local there's nothing holding me here. If they lived elsewhere I'd feel no obligation to stay.

19. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Would to know more about Merida. What's the appeal?

20. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Mexico has some interesting full-time residence laws such as you're entitled to stay all year-round if you have an annual income of at least 30k.

tery likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.