Retire in another country ???

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Wizard1962, Feb 11, 2019.

1. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

There’s a country for old men?

kLyon, RLee77, Rustbucket and 5 others like this.
  2. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Maybe you can get dual citizenship?

kLyon, RLee77, Flakey and 7 others like this.
  3. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

When we were on our last excursion outside the US we ended up in Merida Mexico on the Yucatan Penninsula for an afternoon. Our tour guides told us that many US and Canadian citizens were relocating to the Merida area as the crime rate was low, the money stretched and most people could speak passable English if needed.
    When we stopped at a local restaurant for lunch there were two couples there that were obviously not locals who apparently lived there at least part of the year. They ordered in Spanish but then were conversing in English, one couple had to be from the NE and the other from probably Toronto based on the accents I heard.

I will tell you that it has crossed my mind as well. I have a friend who races in the Baja out west who just bought a house to stay in when they are racing across the border. There is a ton of red tape to buy land and lots of rules and regulations but he is really happy with his purchase.

4. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Afflicted

And ain't that the f****** truth!

5. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

what a fascinating subject!

My advice - if you didn't find a third-world country you loved BEFORE you retired, you wasted a whole lot of time. And now you don't really have the time left to do all that research.

Because you can't just visit for a week and decide to live there; nor can you read online comments and find any true answer there.

Moving to a different country is not easy. I know, I have done that. If you think you don't need to know the local language - you are mistaken!

Tony474, Gibson and JayFreddy like this.
  6. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Nah, not for me. Even if I had an abundance of liquidity. There's things right here on The Upper East Coast to keep me busy for years to come. Frankly, I don't even like going into Boston anymore, so for me the arrow on the compass points only one way and that's North.

stevemc likes this.
  7. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

My wife and I were considering getting a place in a planned community in Baja California Sur on The Sea of Cortez. Three practical things mitigated against it - unreliable fresh water supply, earthquake prone and we could not get a straight answer as to form of ownership of the property we were to acquire. What really got me was overhearing a Norteamericana complain that there were too many Mexicans around.

8. jhundt

That's why I love this thread! The well-known American fear of anything unknown is readily apparent here.

9. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Perhaps 'unfamiliar' rather than 'unknown'? ;)

Peregrino69 and jhundt like this.
  10. Redheadlvr

Redheadlvr TDPRI Member

Nothing wrong with SC. Beats the hell out of Ohio.

kLyon, scrimmer and trapdoor2 like this.
  11. jhundt

'unfamiliar' is perhaps more accurate... 'unknown' is how it is seen and experienced by many Americans. If it isn't known in America - it is unknown!

Flakey and Tony474 like this.
  12. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Silly me, I've been retired 8 years right here at home without any problems.
    You need to move out of the big city, but be close enough for hospital, shopping or entertainment. Being in a rural place that doesn't suck your finances dry can be hard to find in the USA, but there's still places to be found.

Wizard1962 likes this.
  13. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

My wife is Bulgarian (actually got her US citizenship last week), far younger than I and makes 3 times what I make. We'd love to retire there but she's worked so hard to get where she is in the US and I'm not sure I could move that far away from my grown kids and grandkids. We have a 17 year old as well that will be starting university in a year and a half so that'll keep us here and her earning the $$$ for a while at least. We could live there on my military retirement easily without either of us working.

Greggorios likes this.
  14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

True, but what if they are scattered across the globe?

15. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I don't think there are any natives living in Myrtle Beach. Everybody is expat, so I don't think it'll be a problem. I don't have a greencard, mine's crimson & white...:D

16. Wizard1962

Wizard1962 TDPRI Member

Alot of interesting advice and opinions guys. ;)

Thanks

17. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

+1 Mérida, México. ¡La Ciudad Blanca! Love that place.

+1 Kids and grandkids. Unless/Until they scatter away from Minnesota, USofA, this is where we'll be.

TeleFunk Man likes this.
  18. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

Retire in another country...

Under another name...

Dan R, Wizard1962 and Artslap like this.
  19. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

NJ now. Thinking a whole other world. PA.

Nubs likes this.
  20. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

It's definitely on the table for my wife and I. Most likely we would do the snowbird thing at first, maybe in a couple of different places to try them out, though, since hopefully we'll be financially comfortable either way with a house paid off and no debts. I just can't see a reason to justify living through New York winters if I don't have to. I am going to Costa Rica for the first time this summer for a different reason and I've definitely got this in the back of my mind. There are places in Mexico that could work, that is a country I know pretty well. Colombia should also be on the radar now - that country has a LOT going for it and people overlook it because of past issues.

But first I gotta live that long and be in decent enough health. No gimmes in life.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.