Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Restore a '69?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by charlie chitlin, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Yep, I have a '69 and the pots are 1 meg, and yep, the bridge pickup is mighty bright. But, that's where the tone control comes in.

2. 4Teles

4Teles Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2006
    hampton beach nh
    Really! I thought the Antiquity II sounded anything but ice pick bright. I tried the SD Antiquity II '55 first and thought it lacked sparkle if anything. Swapped it for the Antiquity II Surfer and found it pretty much like the original pu in my '56 Tele.

3. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal
    My 68 has the original 250K pots dated in 1966 so I guess Fender changed to 1 meg when they ran out of stock - maybe they got a deal on the batch and got enough for a few years.

The amp and speaker also make a huge difference in the top end so comparing pickups is only part of it. Different set-ups = different results.

I also had a 65 with a maple neck and found it too slippery under stage lights plus the neck pickup was complete mud. I think the neck p/u may have been wired into that one crappy all bass sound intentionally.

We didn't open them up much back then - played them right off the rack you might say.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013

4. twangplank

twangplank Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2010
    Valliant Okla
    Fender bought a ton of 1966 pots. A fender guitar from 66 through the early 70s should have 1966 model pots.

My 68 has original 1 Meg pots. They're bright but not in a bad way. I just roll my tone knob back. However a vintage tele us supposed to be bright. That's where the twang is and it doesn't sound as bright away out front as it does coming out of the amp.

My 69 has 250k but I'm not sure they're original. They do date to 66 though. CBS saw a deal on em I guess and stocked up

Edit to add: Come to think of it I've seen early CBS teles with one 250k and one 1 Meg. Who really knows I guess?

5. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    That's true...but you can't know unless you have one of the very few guitars that's been in somebody's hands since new.
    If 2 buddies had '66 Teles and swapped necks because each liked the other's, not only would you not be able to tell, but it wouldn't make a bit of difference.

6. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal
    I have a 68 pristine almost unused tele bridge pickup that I took out and stored about 45 years ago.

In this case if I sell it the buyer would be getting the real thing.

I've seen them @ $500 on eBay - how would any average buyer know it's not a fake made in someone's shop yesterday ?

7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Tele-Holic

May 27, 2009
    South Bend, Indiana
    The parts you need are certainly out there but they are not cheap. I attend quite a few guitar shows around the country so I can give you a little insight on the market.

Original tuning keys will run you about $250 to $300 a set. Original pickups will run you about $250 to $300 each. Finding an orginal pickguard in good condition will be a little tougher. That alone could run you $250 to $500.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.