Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Restore a '69?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by charlie chitlin, Mar 3, 2013.

1. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Is it worth it to track down original parts for guitars?
    The parts market seems so crazy.
    I have a '69 Tele with good bones...nice neck, body, plate and pots...but most of it isn't original.
    It would need tuners, pickups and...gulp...pick guard to be original.
    Being an old motorcycle guy, my inclination with projects is to buy the parts little by little and build something up, but guitar parts are a different story!

2. twangplank

twangplank Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2010
    Valliant Okla
    The 69 pups have been hard for me to find that haven't been a rewind. If you're thinking investment it would be costly. The pups are at least $400 a piece. You may end up having what its worth in the guitar unless you get the body and neck very very cheap.

However to bring a guitar back to correct is fun and feels good to bring it to its original state.

3. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    I'd probably just put the "correct" style of parts on it.
    You can get them aged to look appropriate.

Even if you get true vintage parts for it they won't be original, so the vintage value will never be the same as one that was left unmolested.

Still, if you want to do it just for yourself, have at it and good luck.

4. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Oct 6, 2003
    if you plan on keeping it, its worth doing. The key is being patient and putting the time into scouring vintage shows or maybe finding a proper donor guitar that is a basket case. Be wary of eBay sellers of vintage parts, unless they are known good sources.

5. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

That's exactly how I feel about.. Have a 73 Strat, after searching for a set of original pups to replace what had been swapped out in the 70's I decided to go with a set of custom shop 69's on a new loaded pickguard.. Saved the original loaded pg. The guitar now sounds better than it ever did..

6. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal
    Problem out there is counterfeits galore so I would go with replacement parts - and in any event some of them are better than the originals.

7. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2003
    TN
    Vintage parts, even if non original, do help the value of the guitar. Not that you have to do that. Enjoy the guitar.

8. twangplank

twangplank Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2010
    Valliant Okla
    I'd look for some mare hay rides or Duncan antiquity II pups. They're pretty good replacements for that era tele. Then some 1 Meg pots with a replacement cap set from Lux replacement parts and it will sound and look very correct.

I saw some pearl back relic pick guards made by a company. I think it was monster relic. Its not a true restoration but it will look, sound and feel much more original but not cost a grand plus to get it up to snuff. Those late sixties pups are great however. I like how bright and sparkly they are.

9. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    Personally, I hated my Duncan Antiquity II bridge pickup. Never heard so much ice pick in my life. Contact the Pickup Wizard for exact reproductions. The set will run around $150. If you want to tweak the original design he'll do that too.

10. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

Nov 8, 2009
    New York
    1 meg pots? Was Fender doing this back then? I would think that would be painfully bright.

11. 64Strat

Oct 6, 2003
    No, they used 250Kohm, usually CTS pots, sometimes Stackpole.

12. charlie chitlin

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    A '69 would have 1meg pots, as mine does.

13. backporch guy

backporch guy Tele-Afflicted

Is it a player, or an investment?

14. 64Strat

Oct 6, 2003
    They must have switched in '69 then. 250K ohm was standard for almost 20 yrs. The reason is, the bridge pickup would become horribly bright with a 1meg.

15. xtrajerry

Depends on the buyer.. IMO its either original or border line partscaster.. The dealers and the guys with the modded guitars will tell you something different.

16. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2003
    TN
    If the body and neck are orig, and have their orig finish, parts from the correct year help the value of the instrument regardless of who is buying. If the guitar has been refinished or stripped, orig parts are a waste of a money. My 2 cents.

17. charlie chitlin

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    To me, the idea of an "original" Telecaster is a sketchy one.
    How could one tell the difference between a guitar that's had aftermarket pickups installed, then the originals put back in, and one that's been put together afterwards?
    There's no way to tell if a body and neck have always been together or if they were put together years later.
    These guitars are a conglomeration of parts.
    That being said...
    The guitar is a player and I like it fine the way it is, but there's something cool about hunting down parts and restoring something.

18. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2003
    TN
    You are right!

19. xtrajerry

I don't disagree with this in general but for me it's either original or not. I don't want any questions regarding provenance.

20. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2003
    TN
    I understand and respect what you are saying, but what you are asking is difficult at best, because Leo made parts guitars.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.