Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Resistor wattage and capacitor voltage? What's "correct" for guitar wiring?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Verne Bunsen, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Hi guys,

I thought I was getting a grip on this stuff, but as usual was reminded that I have a lot to learn :D I went to my local electronics shop today to round up a few resistors and capacitors for a couple of things I want to try out, and was confronted by a great many shelves of them. I knew the values I was looking for, the resistors in ohms and the caps in microfarads, but I was confused when the resistors were further sorted out by wattage and the caps by voltage. Is there a value that is "correct" for guitar wiring? I'm looking to "audition" some different tone caps, and wanted to try a couple of different cap/resistor values for a treble bleed circuit.

Thanks!

2. donh

donh Tele-Afflicted

Apr 25, 2010
    Oh Aich Ten
    You are going to have a real hard time getting more than a volt out of a guitar pickup, and the wattage generated at a guitar's output jack is best expressed in milliwatts.

So don't worry too much about the watts and volts, just get parts that physically fit or have the composition you desire.

3. krisls

krisls Tele-Holic

Jul 24, 2010
    Sydney Australia
    Being an electronics dummy I just did a lot of reading here. Put together a guitar, just waiting on the nut to be done (not by me). Voltage and Watts? Ummm...

After much deliberation and thought on style and desired sound I went 3 way modern wiring with the Fezz Parker Mod instead of a treble bleed and got Orange Drop .047 and .022 caps. Currently I've wired in the .022 but if it feels too bright after a bit of playing I'll switch it.

I know it all works, i just have to get it back and play.

Kristina

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. tdowns

tdowns Friend of Leo's

Nov 8, 2003
    Texas
    You are not going to be able to buy any passive component with a voltage or power rating low enough to not be usable in a guitar.

6. tdowns

tdowns Friend of Leo's

Nov 8, 2003
    Texas
    Did I use a double negative? Any component power or voltage ratings you find will be way overkill for guitar electronics. No worries.

7. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    That's kind of what I figured, thanks for the confirmation!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.