Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

reshaped headstock - now to deal with the finish

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Pickngrin, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Pickngrin

Pickngrin TDPRI Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Connecticut
    Hi-
    I just reshaped the headstock on my Turser tele (first time trying to reshape one). I also wet sanded the back of the neck to a satin finish. I was planning on using the Minwax wipe on satin poly that I have to refinish the headstock. Do you think that will look strange with the glossy, tinted fretboard?
    I actually don't care for the gloss on the fretboard, but I would imagine that trying to sand that down would be very difficult because of the frets.
    Also, while using the jigsaw, in a flash, I put that chip in the finish at the first fret. Can I put some of the wipe on poly on that? Or is there a better way to deal with that?

Thanks,

PicknGrin

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    That'll be hard to fix and make it look good I'd thing. Sanding the fretboard is a tough thing because you don't want to go too far and sand off too much. You could try a hear gun and that finish on the fretboard should just flake right off. Read up on doing it correctly though. That's some pretty think looking finish so I wouldn't sand it.

3. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Meister

Jan 6, 2017
    NWNJ
    make a 'dam' with blue tape and drop fill with clear nail polish

you can darken with various additives like a smudge of nicotine or the like

nojazzhere likes this.

4. dimitris

dimitris TDPRI Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Greece
    For the first fret chip you can also use amber tinted super glue from StewMac with the same technique that ecoast suggested.

5. Pickngrin

Pickngrin TDPRI Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Connecticut
    Thanks. I just looked at that amber tinted super glue and it looks pretty dark.
    Does anyone recommend scraping the fretboard finish off with a razor blade?
    Any suggestions for what to do with the headstock? Use the satin wipe-on poly I have? Tru oil? I realize that I will not get a perfect match with the fretboard, but I'd like to make is look as good as is reasonably possible. The thick, poly finish on this neck and fretboard is the only thing I disliked about this Jay Turser tele. I have since put on a cheap Kmise neck but I do prefer the profile of the original Turser neck.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017

6. Pickngrin

Pickngrin TDPRI Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Connecticut
    Sorry for the bump. Does anyone have any suggestions for blending or trying to roughly match the headstock to the fretboard? Is it worth scraping the poly from the fretboard with a razor blade so i can finish it uniformly?
    Thanks.

7. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    Only if you don't want this finished until you're old. I tried it once, then switched to a heat gun. However, it may not just 'flake right off'. Mine still took a couple hours to get all the finish off.

Used Tru-Oil for the new finish. Worked out OK.

8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Have an airbrush or spray gun? If you want to blend or match, you're gonna want to mix your own stuff and experiment. Even a cheap single-action airbrush will work, or PreVal. Even then, it's not going to match 100 percent in most cases. Nitro would make this a breeze, but poly, well I just can't tell you since I would never try it. I'd strip the finish off the entire neck and start again--but the pain of that job would make me question my need to to go that far with a Turser neck. But if you go the blending route, also plan on sanding to get the blend right, as well as the drop fill in the chip. Micro-mesh is the way to go for that--with lots of patience and elbow grease.

When I refinished a Squier Bullet neck, I used tinted lacquer over the whole thing, and compensated for the sanded neck by controlling my coat number and pass distance. It's not even-steven in tone, but it looks more natural/aged. It helped that I matched the headstock to the body. Good luck!

9. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I don't have a spray rig, so would use shellac for the back, and tint it to roughly match, or if not shellac maybe wipe on poly or tru-oil. To make the match more convincing I'd run the same shellac or oil over the exisiting poly over the poly.

That chip--i'd get a piece of teflon or something else super glue does not stick to and use that as a "dam" for the nut slot, and I'd drop fill it with super glue, or maybe nail polish. You can buy tints for super glue from glu-boost. Or maybe color the wood to roughly match and then drop fill

http://gluboost.com/

10. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    Cyano on the chip.
    For the headstock, if the wood is well sanded, I would apply a drop of boiled linseed oil, seal with a few coats of shellac, sand lightly, then use a can of lacquer or any clear. Spraying a headstock is really easy. A glossy headstock is better looking.

I just refinished a fretboard this way and It doesn't exactly match the old finish but only because It is nicer. Oil and shellac give a nice warmth and depth.

11. jadedsoul

jadedsoul Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2013
    TINY ENGLAND
    FB Chip, use teflon dam and drop fill with CA easy to fix that chip... if your in the uk use everbuild CA in the bottle....Its the best iv used. polishes up like glass and can be tinted if needs be.

12. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    You can get several different colors of lacquer toner in amber shades to do the back - it will be very tough to get shellac to lay out as smoothly or match the gloss. Mohawk sells several colors; so does Stewmac, and Reranch sells "neck amber".

13. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

a few pics of a turser neck i reshaped a few years ago.

i wiped on shellac to tint the fresh wood to get it close, sanded the shine off the back of the neck, left the fb glossy dressed the frets and then finished it with danish oil... it's a good neck .

next to a mmite headstock here.

Red tele1-headstocks.jpg

Turser neck reshape1.JPG

Turser neck fret job.JPG

14. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2014
    Philippines
    Here's my neck with CBS headstock that's reshaped to a 2x4 T-style configuration. Veneered with a flame maple back and forth.

IMG_6790_zpsllyg2ntv.jpg Nash3.jpg Nash4.jpg Nash6.jpg Nash7.jpg

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    Rikomaru and El Tele Lobo like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.