Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Repro Fender woody cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dallasblues, Jun 13, 2018.

1. dallasblues

dallasblues Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2011
    Just curious. Does anyone make reproduction cabinets of the old Fender "woody" amps of the 40's?

Thanks

2. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA

3. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around

4. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    I don't think so.

5. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Holic

Feb 1, 2018
    San Clemente, Ca
    Armadillo Amp Works.

6. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    He's talking about the "woody" cabinets from the '40s. I don't see them at Armadillo.

DSC07299.JPG

King Fan, dallasblues and bparnell57 like this.

7. ampking300

ampking300 TDPRI Member

Check out my past posts---started making my repro Model 26 cabs about 40 years ago---if you can work with wood and steel, best bet is to make your own , if not, get a good cabinet maker and metal worker to do so, they are not too hard to fabricate.

8. No457 Snowy

No457 Snowy Tele-Meister

May 27, 2011
    Australia
    I have one of the Fender custom jobs in that style, really nice workmanship on the cab, the joinery is flawless, it's made of Bubinga.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    It was actually called "Model 26" back in the day. "Woody" is collectors' slang or the modern Fender name for the Blues Jr. in that cab.

There was at least a Blues Junior III with a bunch of knobs and a Pro Jr. with two knobs.

10. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Yes, that's my Pro Junior in my reply above. They are not Custom Shop amps, but were a special run made for the 60th Anniversary of Fender amps in 2006. The Blues Juniors came much later.

The original "Woody" models of the 1940s were:

1. Princeton: one 8" speaker, 5-7 watts

2. Deluxe/Model 26: one 10" speaker, 10-14 watts

3. Pro: one 15" speaker, 18-25 watts

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    RodeoTex, dallasblues and radiocaster like this.

11. dallasblues

dallasblues Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2011
    Yeah. I'm aware of the Model 26 and the Blues and Pro Juniors in a woody cabinet. I'm just curious to know if there are any custom cabinet builders who are doing replicas.

12. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Which amp are you looking to re-house?

13. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Depending on what you're looking for, you might be better served by a narrow-panel tweed cabinet from someone like Mojotone.

The problem with the bare wood is that you really have to baby it. Any scratch or ding that tolex or tweed might hide will be visible forever on the wood. Something to think about.

14. dallasblues

dallasblues Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2011
    Oh I'm not looking to rehouse anything. I was just curious about it. I realize that tweed boxes are more practical. That's really not the point of this thread. Maybe it'd just be cool to have a woody cabinet to put a 5a3 into... or even a Model 26 circuit.

They're aesthetically pleasing to me... that's all. I know there are lots of good cab makers out there and I was wondering if anyone has come across someone who's done these.

FiddlinJim likes this.

15. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Got ya. I just think there's probably not much demand because they're not very roadworthy (which is probably the reason they were abandoned. But for a home amp, heck yeah.

16. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    One minor drawback is you can't hang a mic on them because it would rattle around on those metal strips.

17. FiddlinJim

FiddlinJim Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Mar 28, 2006
    Seee-attle
    I asked the same question a few years ago. I love the way those cabinets look and there are a lot of people building 5e3 and 5f2a amps who would be thrilled to have a woody style cabinet made with a 5e3, 5f2a, or 5e5 chassis cutout. I know I would!

dallasblues likes this.

18. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Looked at a different way, although exposed wood isn’t very robust, it’s extremely beautiful, and in fact lots of cab builders on TDPRI not to mention others on Etsy build beautiful 'visible wood' cabs. To do so commercially requires some high-end fit and finish skills — and nice wood — that many amp shops must find hard to scale and sell at reasonable prices.

Fancy cut out wood fronts, like the Excelsior or old Gibson styles, can be built by anyone with router skills, I imagine.

Nice metalwork would bring in a third challenge, though, and you begin to see why such shops would be rare.

*But* for a very 40s look, check out some of the retro cabs John Mergili builds. Not exposed wood, but after you see 'em you start to see maybe cabinet coverings can be an art form, too.

http://www.mergili.com

dallasblues likes this.

19. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I would talk to John Mergili. I know he does the V front super type of cab. The woody cabs, as noted, are quite different from the finger jointed tweed cabs. They have butt joints, iirc, with metal strap reinforcements on the inside. Kind of crude, in a way.

http://www.mergili.com/

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    dallasblues likes this.

20. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    That's true of the originals.

The re-issues are much nicer and very solid. All the panels are shallow dovetail jointed and there are no metal straps inside. Very stout.

It's difficult to see on mine due to the finish, but the image above of the bubinga Blues Jr shows it quite well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.