Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Replacing p90s on Epi Riviera

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Strowbri86, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Strowbri86

Strowbri86 TDPRI Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Indiana
    I just got an Epiphone Riviera p93 as a gift. You know, the red ones with the gold bigsby and 3 p90 pickups. First off, what a surprisingly solid guitar. The build and feel are great. Not cheap at all. Very nice. But of course I may replace the pickups. I love p90s in general, these are pretty sparkly which is nice for some things, but I really like girth more.
    I'm looking for something a little more.. deep. I'm not a jazz player. I like blues when I turn the drive down and Neil Young when I crank it. Not mud, just not super finger pickin chime. And of course, the lower the price for the tone the better.
    If this were a Les Paul I'd know what to do but I'm new to p90s in a semi-hollow, especially not wanting it to get too jazzy. So I'm not positive how to approach it. In other words the p90s I've worked with in the past I'm swaps have been in solid bodies and I don't want to load a set in I know from before and it's totally different in a semi hollow. So for getting more bluesy tones but within the realm of p90s - any suggestions? Keep in mind they have to come in sets of three with a middle pickup!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    From what I've read on the net, these pickups have metal covers that subdue the tone and people have been taking the metal covers off and replacing with the plastic covers. These pickups may also be lower output compared to regular P90's, but I'm not sure about that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.