Replacing Nocaster Neck Pickup Cover.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Dr Jones, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Dr Jones

Dr Jones TDPRI Member

Hi all! I’m new here and hoping I can tap into some of your experience. I’m building a partscaster for my Dad and want to put in Fender CS Nocaster Pickups. The problem is, I believe they only come in nickel covers (neck) and the guitar I’m building has gold hardware so I want them to match. Can anyone give me advice on changing the covers?

Many thanks!

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

An ebay or google search should find gold Tele neck pickup covers.
    Choose nickel silver though, as brass will change the tone for the worse.
    Mojotone, Stew Mac, Philadelphia Luthier Supply are good vendors.

SnidelyWhiplash and Dr Jones like this.
  3. Dr Jones

Dr Jones TDPRI Member

Thanks. I found one that gets good reviews over at StewMac. Just curious about the actual process to change. I know I’ll have to remove the ground from the original over and pull tabs back and solder ground the new cover, just curious what other things there might be that I need to look out for. I understand that sometimes the original cover sticks due to the wax.

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Yes some covers are stuck on by wax, not sure if this one will be.
    I have a food warmer hot plate thing that you would put casserole dishes on but it's not hot enough for cooking. I put a waxed HB cover side down to melt the wax, on a piece of aluminum foil so I can pick it up and not get wax everywhere.
    Could heat any number of ways, just don't get it too hot.

5. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

tele neck pickup covers almost always wax potted onto the top of the pickup.

it will be a slight gamble for removing the cover, but for the most part it'll usually come off without a hitch.

if the 2 or 3 cover tabs are bent into the base flatware, unbend them with needle nose pliers to fully clear that bottom flatware.

there's most likely a soldered strap wire that goes from one of the bobbin eyelets to the middle cover bottom tab - break that cover ground connection with cutters.

if the cover ground tab has a separate, 3rd wire going to it, nothing to do other than freeing up that wire from the other 2 coil wires.

use a hairdryer to heat the cover - inside of 1 minute the cover will get unstuck as the wax melts. pull off the cover. there will be a goodly layer of wax over the top of the pickup - leave that there.

the new cover will be easiest to install if you first file or sand the cover's middle tab, flux and tin it, solder a thin stranded wire to it - this will be the new cover's ground, and it gets routed to the control cavity and soldered to the back of any pot. this also means the neck pickup is now 4-way, 5-way and mega switch ready.

slip the gold cover's ground wire into the flatware base's wire hole, carefully pull that cover wire as you push the cover down over the pickup's top, apply hairdryer heat to the cover and push it into the now melted wax. there is no need to bend the new cover's tabs over the bottom flatware, in fact that might cause more trouble than doing.

CFFF and Dr Jones like this.
  6. Dr Jones

Dr Jones TDPRI Member

Thanks so much for the response! I’m going to give it a try...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.