Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Replacing neck dots?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TelZilla, Sep 21, 2017.

1. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2007
    Cleveburg, USA
    I have a nice Musikraft tele neck that's unfinished one piece maple. It currently has white fret marker dots.

I'd really rather have black dots. Any chance I could replace those without destroying the thing? What would the process be?

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I have only done this once or twice. I would use a small diameter drill and drill a hole down through the center of the dot without going very deep into the surrounding wood. Then I'd pry the old dot up. I did this on my current build where the inlay is plastic and I used an acetone based glue. Pearl will likely break into pieces. I think a lot depends on the glue used too. Pearl dust is hazardous to breathe, so take the necessary respiratory precautions.

3. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    Theoretically if you drilled a tiny hole you could pop out the position marker and glue in a new one, but that assumes you've got a replacement available that's the same size. Wouldn't hurt to buy a set of black dots to try. Musikraft has excellent customer service and I wouldn't be surprised if they would mic' their dots for you and tell you to the thousandth of an inch what size they're using. Heck they might even sell you a set of dots.

Unfortunately drilling for fret markers is very tricky unless you do it while the neck blank is still square; once it's been profiled its hard to keep the top surface level as you work it across the drill press table. Last time I had to do that was because the fretbpoard was so wavy that to plane it straight some of the markers were so thin they popped on their own (not the first time the fretboard was planed btw).

4. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    I use the same method Marty mentioned.. however I will warm it first with a heat gun... that allows any adhesives, natural resins, etc to soften, facilitating the removal..

also note some dots are metric, some not.. be certain you replace with the correct size.. and you will get a "cleaner" installation if you remove the frets and refret after they are installed and sanded...

Ron Kirn

5. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2007
    Cleveburg, USA
    NVM. Dumb question.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017

6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017

7. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    If your neck is unused or used in great shape you might consider just selling it and buying a new one that suits you, or even see if you can return it for a swap.

It is the most valuable right now that it will ever be. Your best case outcome is the whole job goes perfectly and it ends up being indistinguishable from factory original black dots. But this takes a lot of careful work if you are not also pulling and replacing the frets and substantial careful work if you are - much more so than making the neck from scratch. If any of this goes south on you, you are stuck with a once-fine neck that is now worth much less. I know this isn't the purist answer but I think it's the most practical suggestion. I would be very comfortable doing the work myself as I make all my own necks, but would still do the sell/rebuy route if it were mine, store-bought, and an equal replacement was readily available commercially.

Good luck no matter your chosen path,
    Rex

8. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2007
    Cleveburg, USA
    Yeah, I've used this one for about 3.5 years, and a new one of the same spec is going to run at least $315 shipped, so not an even trade at all. There are some cheapies on the electronic bay from Hong Kong that I might take a flyer on (I'm not too precious about my gear, amnd the far east does great work for the price IMO), but they're all modern C shape. I like a big ol' D.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.