Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Replacement pickups for Affinity Strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by teleforumnoob, May 16, 2018.

1. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2010
    North Alabama
    Picked an Affinity up for a song. Stock pups are kinda harsh.
    Can anyone rec an affordable vintage wound alnico set?

2. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    I recommend Tonerider Classcc Blues or Tonerider City Limits. Check the Ohmage and output- your choice. Inexpensive and really good sounding pickups. Your choice.
    (P.S. No commercial affiliation).

teleforumnoob likes this.

3. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska
    Go to Guitarfetish.com. Click on "Categories", then "Clearance Section", then "Wholesale Priced OEM Pick-ups". Both "Vintage" and "Overwound" sets of Strat pick-ups are available for $14.95. I have used these pick-ups on a couple of my guitars, and they are excellent. I even ordered a set for a guitar snob friend of mine to use on one of his Strat projects. He was very impressed after he heard them on my MIM Classic 50's Strat.

4. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska
    Ignore the above post. After closer examination at the GuitarFetish site, they are "Out Of Stock" on all the Strat style pick up sets. Sorry, my bad.

5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2006
    I'd suggest ordering an Alinco set from China via eBay, if you don't mind a 3 week or so wait. GFS and Guitar Madness (on eBay) have essentially the same products if you want faster US shipping, provided they have them in stock.

If you're going to be swapping the pickups you also might want to swap in better pots, switch, caps and jack.

6. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I have a set of Affinity pickups on one of my guitars and was impressed that they were as good as is. Ceramic bar magnets along the bottom of vintage output pickups. Many in the past claimed these were made by Tonerider, not sure about that.

Since this is a guitar you bought used, it's possible that it doesn't have the original pickups or the electronics could've been modded. I would look into possible mods made in the past that could be corrected for your tastes.
    Have you tried adjusting the pickup heights?

If these pickups are the originals with ceramic bar mags underneath, you could change them out for Alnico bar mags or even Neodymium magnets for cheap and completely change the pickup's tone. Or do electronic replacements or mods to get what you want without buying more pickups that may or may not get the desired results. Pickups don't sound the same in every guitar you put them in.

7. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    I've used the Artec Alnico V Classic Wounds that are slightly over 6K Ohms that really sound like authentic classic Fender tone to my ears at around $40+ a set. Those wingdings are right in the output range between vintage and Tex Specials that is my favorite--kick in the pants range. Platefire

BTW---I'm finding more and more I'm liking the stock ceramics. Get the pickup height set right helps them a lot. If you like that glassy strat tone, the ceramics do a good job on that. Ask Jack Pearson:>)

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Zepfan likes this.

8. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    I replaced the magnets in my Squier p-ups w same size AlNiCo rods. Smooth not harsh. Now I ve never heard a better sounding p-up. You can also use AlNiCo Firebird bars for a semi P90 vibe. If you do Neo put a wood spacer between the pole and the magnet otherwise you ll learn what "harsh" really is.

9. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Cavaliers are amazing pickups at a great price. Rob is an active member here and is always answering questions.

awasson likes this.

10. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2010
    Ypsilanti, MI
    Rose pickups are great and pretty affordable. I put in a set of Rose Mariposas in a MIM Standard and loved them. I just went to their site, which is down so they can catch up on orders. I guess the word is out.

awasson likes this.

11. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    TDPRI member Deneb made Strat pickups with Steel rod poles and placed the Neodymium magnets right to the bottom of the poles. They sound great, no harshness at all. He did have to work with the strength of the magnets to find the right amount of guass. Since they are very strong, too strong can be a problem with string pull and harshness. However the right amount of strength results in all the best attributes of Ceramic mag pickups and Alnico mag pickups together in one package for their tonal contributions.

It's a long thread, but very interesting and informative.
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/wood-a-pickup-winder…-pickup-tone-…my-experiment.592471/

Deneb and awasson like this.

12. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2011
    Kent, UK
    I bought a 97 Squier Affinity a while back and thought the pups were harsh and thin sounding. They were a lot better once I lowered them and even better once I changed the 500k pots for 250s.

Zepfan and bgmacaw like this.

13. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I’ve got a set of prototype neodymium Strat pickups @Deneb created in the thread @Zepfan is referring to. These ones are a single steel rail that is coupled with a neodymium magnet. He degaussed the magnets according to his formula and I’ve got to say there is zero harshness. They’re a bit darker than a typical Strat pickup and smoother than an Alnico 5 single coil but they have lots of Strat jangle.

Deneb, Teleterr and Zepfan like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.