Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Replacement necks in the UK - Northwest Guitars or MIM Fender?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Mart the Hat, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Mart the Hat

Mart the Hat Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2013
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I'm thinking about a new neck for a parts guitar I have. What I need is a neck to fit a strat shaped neck pocket, maple fingerboard, 12" radius, ideally slightly larger than vintage frets. After looking around the main contenders are either this neck from Northwest Guitars http://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/22-fret-1970s-stratocaster-neck-large-headstock-maple-fretboard/ or a MIM Fender 72 Tele Deluxe neck, available to order from a couple of places in the UK.
    The Northwest necks are apparently made for them in Korea, and I've seen generally good reviews of them although I haven't seen one in the flesh. The Fender neck would involve a few weeks wait for stock to arrive and cost slightly more, though I've had a look at the neck on a 72 Tele Deluxe reissue and it seemed fairly nice. Which would you go for?

2. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Holic

Nov 26, 2014
    London
    I like to think, what will I get for it when I sell it?

Over the years I've had lots of 'keepers', but somehow they always end up being sold.

Obviously the Northwest neck is not a real Fender, nor is it stamped 'Licenced by Fender' as far as I can see. So in time to a future buyer, it will be a no-name Korean neck, no matter how nice it is and that will effect the price.

If you go for the MIM neck, you have a known product that will always have a value. So if the real deal is only slightly more expensive and you like the profile, that's the way I'd go.

3. Mart the Hat

Feb 11, 2013
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Yes, there is that, and also the entertainment value of confusing guitar geeks with a headstock labelled "Telecaster Deluxe" on a guitar that's nothing of the sort! The tuners for the MIM neck might take some figuring out - it's drilled for 70s style F tuners, which I think have wider spaced holes than Kluson types. I don't want to use F tuners as they tend to have small holes in the shafts that don't work so well with my 0.052" gauge E strings.

4. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    Either the MiM neck or you could try Allparts, their necks are licensed by Fender afaik

5. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Generally, I prefer to buy MIM necks preferably used. Why?
    • I'm not trying to build perfect replicas as some are. Just high quality guitars, inexpensively.
    • I know the specs will work, it will fit, won't be too heavy, etc.
    • The MIM QA is actually pretty good (yeah, really)
    • I take off most of the poly off the back of the neck and the high gloss shine. Feels great.
    • Great value. Bang per buck.
    • Feels right (with adjustments), looks right.
    • used = no CITES charges
    • The Fender logo is real. It is a Fender neck. Better than fakery.
    • Nitro on necks is a actually wee bit overrated. I own the range from Custom shop guitars to Chinese, and nitro is often high gloss and a bit draggy, plus it is 3 times the price. Yes, it ages nicely.
    • Ok, you have to get a bone nut or some work done on it by yourself or otherwise. I do most myself. Also I get the frets re-profiled and polished to a flatter radius where they are a 7.25 neck. I don't pay much for that.
    • The '60s style MIM rosewood board neck is pretty fine (adjustments per above). Here's what it looks like on my partscasters:

IMG_4381 (1).JPG

IMG_4540.JPG

Attached Files:

Lefty Addams likes this.

6. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    Right handers are very lucky you can get rosewood Tele necks, for us lefties its a very rare proposition

7. Mart the Hat

Feb 11, 2013
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I'm going to go ahead and order the MIM tele deluxe neck. I don't fancy my chances of finding a used one, as it's not a model that comes up used often and the new price isn't bad.

8. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    I have a new genuine replacement tele neck and it needed a fret level quite badly and a nut job of course.Probably a used one is better for some people .Mine was a 22 fret rosewood .

9. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Those northwest are very expensive IMHO. Mighty Mite necks are about 1/2 that price and are Licensed By Fender. I've never had one that didn't fit into the neck pocket perfectly to the point where you can hold a Tele or Strat body with just a fit in the neck pocket. The finish is also a good satin finish.
    JMHO

10. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    That top one on your sonic? blue looks ab fab imo, lovely

11. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

Aug 23, 2015
    uk
    allparts necks are only a few pound more then those nw necks pluss you can always sell them on easly. mighty mite necks are ok to

12. bluetinstar

bluetinstar TDPRI Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Hampshire, UK
    Tele neck in a Strat neck pocket, will that be an OK fit ??

13. Mart the Hat

Feb 11, 2013
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Tele Deluxe necks have a rounded end like a Strat neck, so it should be fine.

14. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Thanks. Yes a full, not faded Sonic Blue. It's pine nitro finished body I picked up from eBay. I've previously posted this as an Esquire but I since converted to Tele (sorry Esquire nuts) I just missed the neck position. I aged the neck in various ways to complement the reliced body.

Lefty Addams likes this.

15. Telesphere

Telesphere Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2005
    The Telesphere
    Is that because they actually are Strat necks? All Deluxe Teles that I've seen all have the larger style Strat headstock. They look way too big to me, even in comparison to a standard Strat headstock, never mind the Tele.

I'm all the nut job my guitar needs! :lol:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.