Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Replacement bridge for Indo Affinity?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by rlyrlybigman, Jun 11, 2018.

1. rlyrlybigman

rlyrlybigman TDPRI Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Langley, BC
    Hey all. Let me preface this post by saying I am very VERY new to Tele's. I recently purchased an Indonesian Affiity and I absolutely love it. Hardly vintage correct but it's made a Tele fan out of me.

One thing I would like to eventually replace is the bridge. As far as I've been able to tell, there aren't many aftermarket ones for this particular style. Just for clarification, it's a 5 hole, string through body style with the string holes situated between the bridge and the 3 rear mounting holes.

I know GFS makes this one, https://www.guitarfetish.com/Modern...dge-Stainless-Steel-Saddles-chrome_p_501.html
    But it really doesn't seem to much different/better than what I've got already.

Are there any other direct swaps I can do without drilling extra holes? Or is this likely a mod I'm gonna have to do to my second Telecaster :D

2. kaynray

kaynray TDPRI Member

Mar 30, 2012
    IMHO affinity tele's are a great value and every bit as fun as " regular " tele, but--- that bridge does not have a direct replacement. You can put all manner of after market bridges on, but most will leave your old bridge holes exposed. Some folks don't mind, others put colored screws in the left over holes. If you're just looking for replacement saddles (brass?) Look here or Google "bubba mod". Good luck, welcome, and play the crap outta that thing.

3. kaynray

kaynray TDPRI Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Ok just re-read and see you have a string thru bridge/body. Never had one of those so don't know if any of the above applies. Gotta read more carefully next time. Sorry.

4. StuartJames

StuartJames TDPRI Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Australia
    I just ordered a genuine fender/squire standard bridge that comes with saddles to for very cheap for my affinity. According to the measurements there will be no screw holes showing and should be a perfect fit. Will report back when I get a hold of it

5. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    A Squier standard bridge should cover your affinity original bridge holes, but I wonder what you hope to win?

6. StuartJames

StuartJames TDPRI Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Australia
    My affinity is a top loader, I'm going to drill through for string through body. It's a cheap axe I got to practice mods. I'm not doing for better sustain but because I want a rock solid bridge. I'm getting buzz from the saddles ( which I have upgraded). I'm pretty confident the new bridge and string through will rectify this

7. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    Oh you are going for a string-through conversion. This made me think it WAS a string-through guitar already:

and apparently, I'm not alone:

The 2012-2017 pack Indonesian Affinity was string through, but if you've got a 2018 top load Indonesian Affinity, I can see why you'd change that.... I just change strings from 9s to 10s, 10.5s or 11s. That usually reduces buzz as well!
    Or it could be your guitar just needs a good, professional setup.

Drilling holes through the body usually ends up in a not so tidy looking back of the guitar. It would bother me, and I'd recommend buying a Squier Standard (or better) instead. The standard is just a few dollars (in my case euros) more than an Affinity over here.

8. rlyrlybigman

rlyrlybigman TDPRI Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Langley, BC
    Hey guys, thanks for the replies . Let me clarify. The model I own is already string through body. I guess it's one of the 2012-17 models as someone mentioned. My thinking was that I might get an ashtray style bridge, but there doesn't seem to be much available for this particular configuration. I thought I included a pic the first time around but apparently I did not, so I'll upload one now.

I'm thinking that for now I'm just going to upgrade my saddles to something a little better, probably some Graph Tech ones. I imagine my next Tele will probably be a CV so I'll worry about more "vintage correct" details then .

Attached Files:

LutherBurger likes this.

9. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    In that case the best thing I think you can do is the Bubba mod (search this forum you'll find dozens of examples)... Three barrels (take compensated barrels if you want easier intonation), just three holes to drill in the existing bridge plate.

10. jerrymelons

jerrymelons TDPRI Member

Feb 15, 2018
    Lafayette, LA
    Yeah, ashtrays won't fit on these at all. You may be able to find a modern style replacement. or do the bubba mod for 3 barrel saddles. It's too bad, since these would look great with an ashtray!

11. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It is NOT easy drilling string-throughs, even with a drill press. With a hand drill, say a few prayers first.

The bit wanders, and although it will work, the ferrule holes in the back will be totally unaligned, unless you really know what you're doing.

Check out a few hundred YouTube videos before attempting.

No big deal if the ferrules aren't aligned, but it's real fugly.

12. StuartJames

StuartJames TDPRI Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Australia
    I plan on practicing on some wood first. I'm feeling brave , hope I don't regret it....

13. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I tried it twice and regretted it twice. I'm a spaz.

Actually, just joking. There's not much to regret.

They work just FINE, and no one ever sees the ugly misaligned ferrules anyway. Only my groin sees it.

Ironically, on one of them, I went back to top-loading anyway, but can't remember why! So don't expect a drastic improvement, but you never know.

The majority consensus here...well, I think it's the majority...is that there's not much of a difference, but you gotta do what you gotta do, like I did.

14. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    You can do this but there can be fit issues.

For example, on my Rondo SX Tele copy I installed one several years ago. As you can see in the photo, I had 3 holes from the original bridge that had to be filled in and I ended up with a "butt crack" where the bridge pickup rout had to be extended slightly and the pickguard doesn't fit well. I'm OK with it because it sounds really good but it does have a certain funky, homemade-ish, look.

[​IMG]

15. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Meister

Nov 23, 2016
    Boulder Creek, Ca

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I hope you didn't do it.

I did a number of them, was somewhat lucky/successful (some badly cracked finish) but the yield just wasn't there.

The Topload is really not inferior.

What I like is, to mount the bridge pickup directly into the Rout, and then take a Half Bridge (like a G E Smith) but skootch it down the body about 1/4 inches below where you'd normally locate it. Drill the mount holes down there. This means the wire binding that holds the ball ends on will be safely away from your brass barrels. The #1 issue with the '59 Esquire or Jim Campilongo approach is the way the binding on the end of the string comes up and sometimes over the barrel and IMO that's a disaster. Also, the lower location of the bridge makes for a guitar that doesn't feel bound up - I like that. Less severe break angle at the ball end.

17. StuartJames

StuartJames TDPRI Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Australia
    Haven't done it yet but still planning on doing it. My problem with this particular top loader is there is not enough pressure pulling down on the saddles. I reckon a Tele should have a rock solid bridge .... and I reckon string through mod would 100 % fix this issue....

18. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

If you are having trouble with the strings not pulling all your saddles down, try a shim under the heel of the neck then do your setup. This will force the saddles to sit higher and thus the strings put more pressure down. Experiment with different shim thicknesses are not permanent changes so you can return to original if you decide to do something different later.

You may be suffering from the saddle grub screws self-backing-out and then they rattle. Get 'BLUE' not 'red' locktite or find a friendly girlfriend that can let you use clear fingernail polish to dab the grub screw threads and reinstall in the saddles.

If you pursue an ashtray bridge ... check if the side flanges will interfere with your picking or palm muting.

Stringing a string through body involves a lot of body flipping back and forth and trying to see why a string is hanging up as you try to thread it through -- gets frustrating. That and the often cited problems of non-aligned ferrules are big deals. Easy to use top loader is a whole lot less hassle.

DrBGood likes this.

19. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2015
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    I think jvin248 has all the good answers up here. I'd go that way myself.

20. StuartJames

StuartJames TDPRI Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Australia
    You guys are killing my confidence, ha ha, I do appreciate your input and knowledge ....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.