Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Replace the whole bridge, or get new saddles?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by benjammin420, Sep 11, 2017.

1. benjammin420

benjammin420 TDPRI Member

May 25, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    I recently bought a Squier Affinity Jazzmaster (with a hard tail bridge instead of the trem), I was planning to upgrade the bridge to steel or brass. Right before I pulled the trigger on the Gotoh, I realized it's only for string-through action, while the stock bridge offers string-through and top-load. I'm currently using the top-load and I like it, if I were to replace the bridge, I would still like to be able to choose between string-through and top-load (some other replacement bridges only come in top-load)

So now I'm thinking I might just get some Graphtech saddles and see how much that affects the sound. Do you think I would be missing out by maintaining the stock bridge plate (with whichever cheap metal they use), or will the saddles be the biggest difference?
    21389559_10159155942030543_931531459_o.jpg

xafinity and Big tuna like this.

2. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ
    Changing either or both will not give a very significant difference in tone. However changing between top loading and through body will give a significant change in feel if it gives a different break angle of the string through and over the saddle.

benjammin420 likes this.

3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Your bridge plate is probably steel. If you want to change things, start with the saddles, but I wouldn't get hung up on top load or string through myself. The only one who can answer the 'tone' questions is you, by trial and error, unfortunately. Adding to that thought, those saddles probably ARE pot metal or zinc, and I consider stamped steel an improvement. Others will say diffently, of course.

benjammin420 and Big tuna like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.