Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Replace a "Wide Range" with a single coil

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Eljuglar, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Eljuglar

Eljuglar TDPRI Member

Oct 2, 2017
    Argentina
    Hi! Two years ago I bought my first telecaster, a Squier Telecaster Vintage Modified Custom which comes with a "Wide Range" humbucker on the neck and a Duncan designed single coil pickup on the bridge.
    When I first played this guitar, I fell for the sound that the neck+bridge position gave, but recently I've come to almost hate the neck pickup. I've thought about selling the guitar and going for a classic vibe tele or maybe even going for a Fender MiM, but the thing is that I really love the way the guitar feels and looks, so I'm thinking of modding it and trying to hang on to it until I can afford something really on an upper level.
    What I'd like to do is to replace my wide range pickup with a single coil. The thing is, I don't know how can I do that given the size of the pickup. I was thinking of buying a single coil and a humbucker cover to put on it so that it fits. Am I on the right track? Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post.

2. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You could always get a new pickguard with a single coil cut into the neck position. They also sell adapters for a humbucker route to a single coil, but they aren't the most attraactive things.
    You can also have the pickup modified by Brnadonwound, so that it may be something a bit better.

3. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    Yep. Been there with the same guitar. You basically have two options:
    1. get a new pickguard cut for whatever you want in the neck position.
    2. get a new WRHB or get someone to rewind yours. I got one from Tim at Sunday Handwound pickups - he custom made it to give me the sound I was after. Highly recommended.

The big problem with WRHBs is that you're stuck with a hole that size in the pickguard. If you got a pickguard cut for a regular humbucker, there's almost no end to what would fit in there. People make all kinds of different pickups in the humbucker size.

On the other hand, WRHBs (when done right) are fantastic pickups and sound like nothing else.

Good luck. Keep us up to date on what you decide!

4. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Pickguards are EASY-PEASY swaps.

5. Eljuglar

Eljuglar TDPRI Member

Oct 2, 2017
    Argentina
    Im leaning towards that option but it's not easy to find this pickguard in Argentina, and the single coil change makes it even more difficult. That's why I'd like to try to switch the mic without loosing the cover. Maybe going Frankenstein on it?

6. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    How old is the guitar/pickup?

The revoiced reissue WRHB's can be set to sound REALLY nice if you know what you are doing. I think @Telenator gave some really nice, step-by-step instructions for setting WHRBs on TDPRI not long ago.

Clifton C likes this.

7. Eljuglar

Eljuglar TDPRI Member

Oct 2, 2017
    Argentina
    Hi everyone I have talked with my Luthier and he will make the pickguard for me, so I'm going for that option. I'll post pics as soon as it's done (and as soon as I decide what pickup to buy). Thanks all.

The guitar is about 3 years old. I have zero knowledge about mics (I understand the basics of how they work), but the reason I want to change is that I want a more classic telecaster sound to pass through my amp (vox AC4TV) as the wide range sounds saturated from volume 1 and the single coil pick sounds clean up to volume 4.

8. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Vermont
    If your sound really is THAT saturated, you may simply have the pickup set too close to the strings.

You can also try a subtractive approach to setting your tone controls on the amp.

Many people will hear a dull sound, and then turn up the treble instead of turning down the bass.
    You can try getting your amp at a decent tone, and then turn the bass - mid - and trebled all down 2 notches.
    So, if you have the Bass at 7, the Mids at 6 and the treble at 8, try changing it to Bass at 5, the Mids at 4 and the Treble at 6 and see how you like the sound. It makes a big difference, especially if you play a clean sound. If you play with a lot of gain, it won't matter nearly as much.

Clifton C likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.