Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Repairing Willie Nelson's Trigger guitar

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by warrent, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Trigger and Willie are National Treasures. When he passes Trigger should go to the Smithsonian.
    I have loved the sound of that guitar since Stardust was released. Gosh it sounds good- no- there's no word (s) to
    describe it's sound. As for Willie... I don't need to say anymore.

2. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    In the video, Mark describes how Willie's "people" tried to get him used to the idea of a replacement, get it breaking in, let the old one rest, etc. Willie took it, but never played it. It just sits there.

Willie never struck me as an image-conscious guy. He just really likes his old guitar.

3. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    No he refinished that guitar without taking it apart which meant that the paint and the thinner screwed the wiring up.

“I still have it (referring to the Dragon Tele), but it’s a tragic story. I went on tour with the ’59 Les Paul that I bought from Joe Walsh, and when I got back, a friend of mine had kindly painted over my paint job. He said, ‘Ive got a present for you.’ He thought he had done me a real favor. As you can guess, I wasn’t real happy about that. His paint job totally screwed up the sound and the wiring, so only the neck pickup worked. I salvaged the neck and put it on my brown Tele string bender that I used in the Firm. As for the body… it will never be seen again! (laughs)”

It's such a classic mistake, painting a guitar without taking it apart, I've seen so many instruments where people went "Dude, since I refinished my guitar, the pickups stopped working."

And the first thing I ask is "Did you take it apart before you rattlecanned it?" and the answer is always "Take it apart, never thought of that no."

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.