Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Repairing dead pickup?

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by yanni, Jul 15, 2017.

1. yanni

yanni Tele-Meister

Jun 19, 2016
    Germany
    I bought some Florance Pickups some time ago. Now I put those into my tele. The bridge PU did not work so I measured the pickup. It shows 2MOhm so it seems to be broken. I am pretty sure that I measured the pickup before mounting and it showed 7.8 kOhm. So it worked before putting it in.

I am wondering how this could happen and if there is any way to repair this ? I can imagine that I touched those really tiny wires that come from the solder joins from the back of the pickup. But I am not sure. Anybody experienced something similar.

(Sorry. Wrong forum section. Perhaps somebody can move this thread)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017

2. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    Pickups do have a shelf life. The winding can erode or break or get all gnarly. You might want to take it to a tech to see if it's terminal.

3. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba TDPRI Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Toledo Ohio USA
    ^or heat up the soder carefully just to see if you cracked that connection installing them. If it's not that perhaps unwind the string covering and check winding for damage

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Meister

Oct 27, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Do tell. Funny how the '48 P-90s, '59 PAFs, and 50s DeArmond on my dad's guitars haven't past their "shelf life".

6. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Melbourne, Austraila
    A large resistance means a broken wire somewhere. Try measuring from the points on the pickup itself where the coil windings come out. If this measures ok then it'll be one of the wires coming from the pickup to the rest of the circuit. Easy fix - replace the wire. I had a new pickup that arrived DOA and that was the issue.

If the coil wires still measure in the megaohms then most likely it will need to be rewound. I have no experience with this myself.

Tonetele likes this.

7. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    ^ This. Pickups do not have a shelf life per se, but out of a guitar, unless protectively packaged, can be easy to damage, especially if they are handled a lot. If the fine magnet wire is visibly broken, you may be able to resolder the output lead back to it. Otherwise, a rewind job is probably in order.

Barncaster likes this.

8. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    Don't ask me. Ask Joe Barden.

9. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Meister

Oct 27, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Oh. You mean the guy that sells replacement pickups? o_O

10. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    That's interesting. Does Joe Barden actually say pickups have a shelf life? Can you post a link where he says this? I'm curious about his reasoning.

Barncaster likes this.

11. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Steve 78 is correct. Have it re-wired with identical wire gauge and Ohms resistance. Or you could have it re-wired to something you may want. From hearing Brad Paisley's sound I think they got it right, but it's your guitar, your choice.

12. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    No mine had a shelf life of fifteen years.

13. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 3, 2010
    Spain

14. ranjam

ranjam Tele-Holic

Dec 29, 2015
    Canada
    I had more than a few 'dead' pickups given to me over the years. I have no idea of my 'success rate', but it's up there. And anything is better than buying a new pickup. If you are really careful, you can look with a magnifying glass at the windings going to the eyelets. Even wax potted, I can peel one winding from the 'finish' end (obviously), and sometimes put that through the eyelet, resolder it, and away I go. If the break is on the 'start' end, you're out of luck. But you have nothing to lose. Start with resoldering the eyelets now, measure the DC resistance from the lead end and at the eyelets, and try to figure out if the break is at the start or finish of the windings. Good luck.
    Oh, and not to start a pissing contest, but the windings don't have a shelf life; the magnets can get weaker over time, and lose their gauss density. Same with speakers, which is why some recone people also recharge magnets. We all about recharging pickup magnets, right? ;)

15. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 3, 2010
    Spain
    Alnico as an alloy is characterized as being a permanent magnet. That is, once charged, a given Alnico magnet will lose a very small percentage of its charge over a 100 year period. Bill Lawrence spoke very clearly on this.

16. rich815

rich815 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I bought a set of Tex Mex tele pups that someone had just replaced in their Road Worn. They said the switch out was done by their local tech. When they arrived the neck was dead. No D.C. Resistance measurement at all. I re-soldiered the eyelets, searched the copper coils with a magnifying glass but no evident damage or breakage I could find at all. Seller made good and refunded me an amount to buy another Tex Mex neck pup from Reverb so all was good in the end for me but I now have what I believe is a fully dead pup in a drawer. Oh well.

17. radiocaster

radiocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I don't think it could be terminal, they can always be rewound, it's not everyone's idea of a fun time though.

18. Zac

Zac Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2003
    TN

Have you tried contacting Peter Florance? He is a great guy. I bet he could help you out.

Zac

19. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Some of us prefer to think of it as having a pending pickup winding job in a drawer! :cool::D

rich815 likes this.

20. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Well, then, I guess I stand corrected. Joe Barden was right, backed up by Bill Lawrence--pickups do have a shelf life of several thousand years. Use 'em or lose 'em, eh?

21. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    Exactly. I could have had the tech wind it all back, so ok if we mean shelf life as in terminal, these didn't have one. They just need to be rewound every fifteen years.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.