Rental scooters

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, Jun 27, 2019.

1. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

Do you guys have them in your towns? I noticed this spring that a lot of people were riding around on the streets on these powered scooters. I thought it was just a fad but a couple of girls just rode up by a policeman in Omaha, Ne. and left the scooter there. I guess they're powered with a battery.

I asked a guy at a record store and he said that you use a credit card and it lets you use it. I don't know how long it lets you use it. I also don't know how long they can run on the battery.

I don't see myself ever using one. A waste of money. IMO Or should I say, a waste of credit.

I'l post a pic if I go to Omaha tomorrow.

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I expect they would want you to spend a grand or so on obtaining a licence to ride one where I live. We are lucky we don't need a licence and registration to walk the footpaths. Yet.

We have 2 day $600 buck licence courses in how to place traffic cones on the road.
    They are mandatory if you seek employment that requires using safety cones.
    The licences need to be renewed at a cost every couple of years. In case you forget how to put a cone on the road.:rolleyes:

We had those free hire push bikes and you would see them in bushes or with dodgy looking people that have commandeered them as their own personal bikes never intending to give them back.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  3. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

They litter the streets here; a lot of the people who use them apparently never learned to put their toys away. They'll just leave them in the sidewalk, in front of doors, in parking spots that are for cars, you name it. These things really need to have specific drop-off racks, or certain locations on any sidewalk, required by local laws IMO...and a way to track down and hassle those who don't drop them off properly. As usual, it's not the items themselves, but the behavior of the people who use them, that are the problems.

4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Southpark did an episode that explained the rise of the hire scooters..:D

unixfish, claes and Chunkocaster like this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Austin is “lousy” with them.
    A coupla unfortunate souls have lost their lives on em’.
    Lots of injuries, too.
    As a driver, you have to be ultra vigilant here now.
    With the glut of newcomers here, there are so many more things to look out for.
    I guess my hometown is all grown up now.
    Yech.

6. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Meister

we have rental bikes here bec scooters require you to be 18 with a license and under 18 are not allowed to operate scooters golf carts etc etc on public roadways. you can still go to jail driving drunk on a bicycle.. yup had one the other day got pulled over on a bicycle and taken to jail. he tried to run too

made me think of Pee Wee's Big adventure and tequila :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  7. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Holic

I had to drive through Austin the other day and saw dozens of govmnt' scooters on the sidewalks. However didn't see anyone using one, people everywhere though. Did they think that scooters would replace cars or folks would use them instead of walking? Seems to me they solve a non existent problem.

bblumentritt and kubiakl like this.
  8. claes

claes Tele-Holic

Gothenburg (400k city) is full of them....and they are just thrown everywhere. A smaller city helsingborg (100k) just got them to.

I suspect they vanish when people has solved how to steal them..

9. gtrplr

gtrplr Tele-Meister

Looks like they’re going to ban them here in Nashville. For all the reasons listed above.

Georox and Dennyf like this.
  10. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Government Scooter is a great band name.

aerhed likes this.
  11. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The Multnomah County police, basically Portland, Oregon. Just fished 57 e-scooters and ride share bikes out of the Willamette River this last week.

bblumentritt likes this.
  12. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

For getting A to B I prefer the shared bike rental to shared scooters. That fleet just got electric boosted in my metro area. For fun I'll take my long board in my profile pic.

The scooters, shared bikes, community cars, bus hubs, and bike/ped corridors are sum total much better transportation. I feel bad when people are in areas with poor planning or poor judgement and don't have this stuff. Where I am it is a wonderful quality of life thing even if it's for the regional commuter who glues their butt to a car seat hours per day. It gets cars off the road for them.

Winter and work emergencies restrict how often I can participate in all of it but when I can it is great to see what it does to my mind. It's great that I might add 10 or 30 minutes for transport but the net result is I get 20 to 60 minute hunks of exercise and activity that would otherwise be my ass stuck in the car.

13. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

This stuff obviously varies by region but someone I know who just spent a few years in Austin said there are parallels to my Madison, WI area where not just sitting in a car relieves people who must be in a car and adds quality of life.

Government scooters or bikes must be a very small slice of this new phenomenon if it exists. In most places a business or a few are selected to get the franchise. It has been more chaotic with scooters but municipalities are changing that fast. Ford the car makers is in this business. Trek has the franchise in my area. It's in the main city and the first ring suburbs.

I 2006 I was the alternative or not typical or business oriented person selected to be on a planning committee for this stuff. It took a while but to your question, yes. Our has 4 routes where now the counters often show 4800 - almost 6000 are on foot, bikes, scooters, skates and long boards instead of cars. I notice the fewer cars when I must drive to my data center or HQ office.

The changes are also keeping commuters in cars more on the 4 and 6 lane routes and some chronically worst spots for car accidents have been improved. About 1.5 mi from home what was the urban part of a US highway now has a roundabout with wide bike/ped corridors for these scooters, bikes or walking. It works much better. It feeds the HQ of a big national brand and other new businesses with less problems than when the old school road was there.

14. Erebus

Erebus TDPRI Member

People in Paris throw them in the Seine apparently CCD40B76-6186-4E14-B0C1-B265ED39D5FA.jpeg

rickthescot likes this.
  15. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

I hate those things. Gimme a bike, skateboard or skates, or good 'ol fashioned walking. For the life of me, I can't imagine spending money to rent one of those things, much less buy one. E-scooters have about as much mojo as a Segway. Only dumber, and much less safe.

I imagine cities will be cracking down soon enough. I've already started to see signs that have added scooters to the list of 'NO's for public areas (skateboards, bikes, etc...). If a kid can't do a bunch of ollies on a library bench, then idiots should not be allowed to wizz by pedestrians on crowded sidewalks at above human running speed. At least you can hear bicycles coming up on you. Not always the case with electric dumbas...er, people movers.

16. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

Serious question. Are there stats available for accidents/injury numbers for alternative commuting solutions? I'm all for it. But I've seen some environments and situations where planning and/or funding has been lax, to say the least. Lots of areas have much to catch up on to make biking, scooters, etc... safe both for commuting and recreating riders, and pedestrians.

17. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Meister

They litter the sidewalks in downtown Nashville. Surreal like some kind of scooter invasion.

Georox likes this.
  18. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

they just got them in Sacramento not to long ago. I'm sure they are left all over the place. When we visit our daughter in SanDiego (ocean Beach) they are laying all over the sidewalks and even hanging in trees. I know people round them up at the night and charge them

Toto'sDad likes this.
  19. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Actually, yes, the city thinks that scooters would replace cars or folks would use them instead of walking. They're delusional.

rickthescot and Georox like this.
  20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Way too dangerous/fast for the average civilians skill level.

Couple that with a state that has roads as bad as a third world country and closed/open (egg yolk) head injuries have to be on the rise.

I’ve ridden my bike downtown and just shivered :eek: at the some of the dopes riding them...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.