Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Removing Paint From CBS Vintage Tele Neck

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by CWP0126, Jul 16, 2017.

1. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004

This may work- there used to be a guy on this forum named Ole Fuzzy
    who had a vintage neck that was so worn that it appeared scalloped.

He filled the divots with thick Varathane, and said it was now his favorite
    neck.

Or you could do the Albert Collins fix- and put a maple cap on the fretboard
    over the first three frets only.

CWP0126 likes this.

2. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

There are some good suggestions here. I am going to look for the Ole Fuzzy thread with the Varathane fix Harold H suggested. Sounds similar to what TwangToInfinity suggested.

Harold, what is the Albert Collins fix, I've never heard of that before. I'll try Googling it.

Oh, and it wasn't awfully expensive, thank goodness, but for me it was expensive enough. The worst part is the amount of work I put into it. I was really thinking it was going to be ok until I got to those last three frets. I'll keep y'all updated as to what happens next.

Thanks again!

3. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    By the way, this worked pretty good cleaning up the fretboard. I used Naptha (Zippo fluid) on a rag and it removed a lot of the gunk, and it didn't bother the stamp. Thanks Gene!

4. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004

Albert Collins repair is to put a maple cap on the board in the affected areas only.

You then seam it in at the next fret slot.

CWP0126 likes this.

5. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Thanks Harold. I found some info that said he had this done to one of his Teles but couldn't find any details. This could be an option here.

I'm going to take it by my luthier and see what he thinks.

I really appreciate everyone's help!

6. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    I found a video where a couple of Fender necks were "recapped" or basically had their fretboards replaced. Looks like major surgery and probably very expensive.

My problem also is since my neck is one-piece, the indent is into the neck itself, affecting both the fretting surface and where your hand wraps around the neck. I'm sure this complicates things.

7. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    WHOA! To have someone else do this procedure will likely cost a small fortune!
    Just Sayin'
    Gene

CWP0126 likes this.

8. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Yeah I would guess this is going to be cost prohibitive. I think building it up with epoxy is really the only option I have.

I wouldn't want to recap the whole thing anyway, just the damaged area by the nut.

9. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Whatever happened to this project?

10. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Hi Bones,

Thanks for asking, but I haven't done anything with this neck since the summer. The damage uncovered really took the wind out of my sails on this one, so to speak.

I still have it here, I haven't taken it anywhere for repair because there is only one good luthier shop here in Tampa that is also a builder and they are always busy, so I have just set it aside for now.

I have been looking for a different neck for the project and think I found one. I'll probably still hang on to this one for the time being, and if it turns out it's not worth the repair cost I might do what dkmw suggested and just make it a 5 string open G guitar, but that will be a future project!

Best,
    CWP

Bones likes this.

11. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Go to the music store and play a Squire Affinity. Typically they're 1.60 at the nut and that should give your hands a point of reference.

CWP0126 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.