Removing Nashville Tele Middle Pickup

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Fendereedo, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Hi guys, what will happen to the switch settings if I remove the middle pickup from my Nashville Tele, as it just isn't getting used. I can snip it out with cutters, but just wondered what would happen to the 5 way settings. I don't plan on getting a 3 way yet, will I do more harm than good. Thanks in advance.

2. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Meister

I never liked the idea of those. But then I don't like the sound of Strat pickups.

I would do that, but change the pickguard and put in a three way (or better yet a four way) switch at the same time.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    G.Rotten, Fendereedo and dlew919 like this.
  3. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

You couldn’t get the strat quack. The other thing is that unless you rewire it you’ll only have the front pickup or the back pickup. Not both.

Fendereedo and Waitingfergodot like this.
  4. Fendereedo

Thanks guys. I may leave it then and just not use it until I can find my soldering kit.

boris bubbanov and dlew919 like this.
  5. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Do you never use the #2 & #4 switch positions? I find those to be the main benefit of having a middle pickup!
    Just My $.02 & Probably Worth Even Less,
    Gene

howardlo and Evil Funk like this.
  6. Fendereedo

Hi Gene, I've decided to sell her, and buy another Tele completely. I just don't like the Strat pickup, thought I would, but I'm just not getting along with it. No point messing around with her. I will make a bit of a loss, but you win you lose.

nicod98, stnmtthw and dlew919 like this.
  7. swervinbob

swervinbob TDPRI Member

I never use the middle pickup or the in between positions on my strat. I slap it all the way one way or the other. I thought about removing the middle.

Teleterr, Fendereedo and dlew919 like this.
  8. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

That’s probably the best choice. I live my Nashville. But if every guitar worked for everybody we’d still have the esquire. Or the Ricky backer frying pan. (Both great of course but there’s a lot of great guitars thankfully.)

Evil Funk and Fendereedo like this.
  9. Fendereedo

Hi,
    Yes, I don't want to mess with it, so selling will be the way ahead for me.

Lakeabilene and dlew919 like this.
  10. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sorry the Nashville didn't work out for you. I really like having the Strat pickup in the middle and 5 way switching. Good luck.

11. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity

I wouldn't recommend it...........................BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

[​IMG]

Fendereedo likes this.
  12. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

Does it do something to the rest of the sound, or do you miss the traditional Telecaster neck + bridge selector switch middle position? Otherwise just don't use those positions. When I got my Strat back in the seventies I was pleased to find it had a five way selector switch with the position 2 & 4 quack (all others I had played up to that point only had the traditional 3 positions). I think I used the number 2 position primarily for many years. Then after some time I tired of it. I hardly ever use it anymore, but it's good to know it's there if I need it.

13. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

In my case, there are a couple of my best songs that were inspired by and written around the #2 & #4 quack sounds on my favorite Strat. :cool: For me, having those sounds available is an absolute prerequisite, but I'm quite happy that not everyone is me or sounds like me! :cool:

Selling/replacing sounds like a good plan. ;) Maybe a new guitar will inspire a new song for you too?

Just Quackin'
    Gene

howardlo likes this.
  14. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I'm confused. Isn't the middle pickup the whole point of having a Nashville Tele, rather than another Tele model.

Evil Funk and nicod98 like this.
  15. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

That's why I chose a different path when I created my own Nashville tele... I put a 4 way switch like regular tele, and a push-pull knob to add the middle pickup in whichever position the switch would be, giving me 8 different tones... (although I usually choose between the 2 pickups in parallel or the neck pickup alone with or without the middle pickup)

Squier Affinity Modified Nashville.jpg

16. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity

Absolutely, positively, yup-yup-yup!

I call the Nashville the Leatherman of geetars.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  17. Fendereedo

It was, for that very reason. But, I've since found I don't want the middle pickup. So, rather than hack it about I've decided to sell and revert to kind. ;)

18. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Tele-Afflicted

That would generally go hand in hand with a conversion to a 3-way switch. If you leave the 5-way, and correctly wire it so that it works quietly in the circuit, you'll still have three switch positions that do nothing of use to you. Personally, I don't use the middle position with modern Tele wiring (both pickups in parallel), but I still wouldn't want five switch stops on a guitar on which I only use two switch positions. I'd go with three switch stops and only using two of them instead.

Replacing a 5-way with a 3-way is no reason not to do it. It's a piece of cake to swap out the switch. Just buy the 3-way, then pull the middle pickup, and do the whole thing at once.

howardlo likes this.
  19. johnh1019

johnh1019 NEW MEMBER!

For what it's worth, I'm rehabbing my '96 Nashville Tele and taking the middle pickup out. When I got it last year it had Strat neck & middle and Tom Anderson humbucker at the bridge. Basically a single-cutaway Strat with a 'bucker bridge. (If I wanted a Strat I'd have got a Strat.) I never really liked the middle pickup, and I have a chance to turn it back into a bona fide Tele. I really miss that N+B Tele combo. I'm going with Lollar Vintage T neck and Special T bridge, then putting in a 4-way switch to have N+B parallel and N+B series, which basically creates a humbucker. I don't really play out so this is primarily for myself. We'll see how it goes. It's a beautiful guitar with the most playable neck ever made, so I don't see selling or trading it.

G.Rotten likes this.
  20. Lakeabilene

Lakeabilene TDPRI Member

I have the tele with three strat pickups. Never thought that was a good idea until I got it. Sounds great! Just a bit like a Strat sounds, but still 75% tele sound!

vintage clubber likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.