Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Removing Light Haze in Nitro Topcoat???

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by rob5755, Jul 20, 2010.

1. rob5755

rob5755 Tele-Meister

Oct 9, 2008
    Freehold NJ
    Although the Weather Channel said it was 78F with 44% humidity, when I applied the final clear gloss reranch nitro topcoat to my BSB swamp ash Tele body today, it developed a light milky haze in a few places. (I managed to get 10 previous coats on without hazing).

Now what? I hit it with a hair dryer for a few minutes and it made about 20% of the hazing / haze go away. Is this haze in the topcoat only? Does the effect penetrate layers of nitro underneath? How do I make it go away? Polishing compound? (Hopefully not more nitro) :confused:

2. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Holic

Jan 29, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Blush remover

That's what lacquer blush remover is for. Reranch sells it. You may also be able to get some at Lowe's or your local woodworking store.

Good luck.

3. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    First - That hairdryer thing was an awful idea. I am amazed you didn't blister the finish to the point or having to strip and refinish.

Second- Blush eliminator will take that out pretty easily. I doubt Lowes will have any, but most wood working stores and sites carry it.

Third - That haze is moisture caught between the coats of lacquer, the lacquer blends into one coat as it is sprayed, and the solvents begin to evaporate from the outside - in. Which means the outside gets harder first, and traps the moisture inside causing the blush. A lot of folks use Retarder in their lacquer to slow the solvent evaporating process allowing the moisture to come out before the outside shell gets hard. Some folks will spray lacquer thinner directly after their clear coats to essentially do the same thing. Blush eliminator works in the same manor, just after the fact.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Home Grown Tele

Home Grown Tele Tele-Holic

Aug 21, 2006
    The Queens
    Just shoot another wet coat of clear on it and it will disappear. The lacquer will melt the layer with the moisture trapped in it and release it. No need for blush remover. Just make sure you do it on a day with low humidity.

6. hackworth1

hackworth1 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Humidity has been high lately. Spray a coat of straight thinner on it.

Then:

Go to a paint store and buy a quart of lacquer retarder. It is cheap. You need to put a capful or two in your mix. You will love the way the paint flows with the retarder. YOu will have no further problems with blushing. Your lacquer will dry normally. Maybe ten minutes additional time for it to dry to the touch.

Also. get highest grade lacquer thinner at paint store. Do not use Home Depot thinner for anything other than cleaning your gun.

Like Colt sez, no more blowdryers, heat or direct sunlight on your fresh lacquer finishes. Blisters will pop up all over.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.