Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Removing a nut

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Geniustoogs, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Geniustoogs

Geniustoogs Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2016
    California
    Hey all! So I’ve made a mistake and purchased a 12 string neck from warmoth with the drones in the wrong side... the holes for the bridge are already drilled so my easiest solution would be to cut a new nut. What’s the best way to get this old nut out without damaging the fingerboard?

Thanks!
    IMG_1006.JPG IMG_1007.JPG

2. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Do you know if the nut has been glued in, or is this a tight 'interference' fit?

I imagine some sort of tap from the side would free the nut (easier if it's not been glued in place yet).

I've removed nuts before (!) with a small flat punch, and a small hammer.
    Hold the punch flat against one side wall of the nut, and tap gently(!) with the hammer until the nut moves.

The nut (now protruding on the other side of the neck), can be pulled out carefully with a pair of pliers or similar.

Please don't make my mistake and have the neck held securely in place before you try this. :oops:

callasabra and Geniustoogs like this.

3. Geniustoogs

Geniustoogs Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2016
    California
    I’m not sure if it’s been glued but I’ll give it a shot. Thanks!

4. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    ...and before you do - a flat-bladed screwdriver doesn't constitute a flat punch.

Something like an actual 'punch' (for nail heads etc) is much more suited to this task.

Another of my mistakes to be avoided.

Geniustoogs likes this.

5. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    take a razor saw and split it lengthwise... tap the two sections in toward the cut.. that cracks the glue joint facilitating removal.

Ron Kirn

6. Edsel Presley

Edsel Presley Tele-Meister

Jan 29, 2017
    Mine just falls out

Get a small punch and a small hammer.

Geniustoogs likes this.

7. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I was able to knock the nut out of my Les Paul from the side by tapping it with a screwdriver and hammer.

Geniustoogs likes this.

8. theprofessor

theprofessor Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Do what @Ronkirn says. That's the best way on this one.

Geniustoogs likes this.

9. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    I might point out the StewMac method does not typically work on Warmoth installed nuts.. Warmoth uses CA.. bad call.. never do that.... making it damn near impossible to remove the nut and maintain it's integrity....

rk

10. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Be prepared to use either method. At least it's not a CV or VM Squier: they slather the whole nut in CA then lay the poly thick on the sides. It's nut excavation at that point and I have to use both methods to get it out.

11. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Isn't that the truth. Basically impossible to remove without chipping something off.

BorderRadio likes this.

12. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    let me add.. when installing a nut do NOT "over glue" it... some poor tech may be confronted with the same issues we're discussing here and have to remove it....

The glue is only necessary to keep a particularly loose fitting nut from falling out...and nothing exotic is necessary.. simple wood glue is fine... that way, a slight tap and it pops out... using something indefatigable like CA is just plain stupid.. it assumes there will be no changes/repairs necessary in the future of that neck..

rk

13. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    FWIW, I've used a tiny dot (like the head of a pin tiny) of gel CA when installing nuts, and I've tapped 'em out easily. CA doesn't have as much shear strength as it has--what d'ya call the other kind of glue strength? I ferget...

14. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    The stickier kind?

Lateral doo-dah?

15. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Nah, I mean there are different aspects of glue strength. CA is really hard to pull APART, but it's relatively weak against sideways (shear) stress.

Anode100 likes this.

16. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Is it tensile strength?

17. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    maybe that's it!

18. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    That's a great idea

19. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    the kinda glue used doesn't mean diddly... other than how difficult it makes it to remove the nut sometimes in the future....

you can use Hans Bethe's Nuclear Force molecular bonding magic goop.. its not gonna make a bit of difference to anything . . that's ANYTHING, y'all tone freaks...

so . . use something that does what it's supposed to do.. that is, keep a loose fitting nut from visiting the floor when ya remove the strings and turn the neck over... it's all that's needed..

Ron Kirn

Jupiter likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.