Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Relic or aged guitar finishes

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stratandtele, Apr 21, 2017 at 9:20 AM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Meister

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    The difference though is that when you paint a black guitar red, it becomes a red guitar. When you "relic" a new guitar to look old, it doesn't become an old guitar, it's just pretending to be one. If this floats your boat that's totally cool, but there is a difference.

Georox and Dismalhead like this.
  2. Nevada_Bob

Nevada_Bob TDPRI Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Pac NW
    I appreciate the discussion.

On one hand, I like a relic. Much like a rat rod, or a race bike - 100% function and authentic wear adds significantly to the mojo. Seriously cool stuff...

I don't really like machine made relic finish on anything, not even jeans. But that's just me. Much like the age-old Chocolate / Vanilla debate, I embrace both flavors!

My local shop has a Classic 50's Road Worn Strat on the wall - not right for me, but I appreciate those that like it.

3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Friend of Leo's

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    It's kinda like wearing a toupee. But to each his/her own.

beyer160 likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. ccotton

ccotton TDPRI Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Ohio
    I really dislike the poly neck...now saying that I had a relic job done to my only nitro guitar because it had the base color for the look I wanted to show through a blue. But relic's dont bother me that much unless it's a factory job. I dont want the same pattern of wear as all of the other ones. Dumb I know but that's just me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pondcaster likes this.
  6. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Surely that's a refin!

7. BradL

BradL Tele-Afflicted

Feb 9, 2009
    Sussex, UK
    I like both. Peace and good will to all.

ccotton likes this.
  8. rich815

rich815 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

New shiny guitars are gorgeous. But that said I don't want a pretty guitar to look at and worry about denting or scratching. A factory-relic'd is perfect. I don't have to worry about my new shiny beautiful guitar.

Besides the music and sound is what matters not the paint or finish of the guitar. And those that get so uptight about fake or factory relic'd guitars should find something else more important to get so emotional about. Who cares??

9. Kojoflo

Kojoflo Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2016
    London
    I'm yet to see a reliced guitar that doesn't look anything but fake, the relic job always looks unnatural. A true reliced neck is knobbly for example. I should know as I've got one, earned from years of rehearsal and gig abuse. If a body is that chipped and worn, how can a neck not be? That said, if you like the look and want to fast forward to used look, fair plays

Dismalhead likes this.
  10. Oldgitplayer

Oldgitplayer Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2009
    Brit in Australia
    If you strap on an artificially aged stage prop, I guess you need to also pull on torn jeans, patched jacket and worn boots to complete the image......:D

11. Krex1010

Krex1010 TDPRI Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    "Why would someone want a relic guitar?"

I would never buy a red guitar, or a blue car, or a pink shirt. But lots of people like those things and I'm not going to question their taste, because I'd feel like a douce for assuming my taste is any better.
    I don't need to know why someone would want a relic guitar, but I would like to know why some folks try and make the people that do own them feel silly for owning a guitar they probably really like.

rich815, Nubs and 1hoofer like this.
  12. 1hoofer

1hoofer Tele-Meister

May 8, 2013
    My opinion if you have to tell other people what style of guitars to buy, and by inference, how to spend their own money, then you should probably get out a bit more.

jaycoyoyo and rich815 like this.
  13. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

The key here is live and let live. People can have their own opinions, but don't wear them like a dirty stinky diaper full of poop.

But, lots of people do...and it's runny, smooshed up the back....and makes people want to hurl. ;)

rich815 likes this.
  14. jackinjax

jackinjax Tele-Afflicted

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    Just my opinion on artificial relic guitars, but, I find them about as authentic as artificially worn Levis. I can see how they appeal to people, just not me. I prefer to wear them out myself.

[​IMG]

15. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin Staff Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Near TELE-Town (Wash. DC)
    Admin Post
    The OP is relatively new here, and likely doesn't know that we've had this discussion hundreds of times, and that it almost always ends in a flame war. Relic haters can't understand why anybody would want a relic finish on their guitar, and relic proponents get tired of explaining that it's just a finish option, and if you don't like relics, don't buy one.

Anyway, we're not going to have that happen one more time. Thread closed.

1hoofer likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.