Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Rehousing a Bassbreaker 15 combo

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by JustABluesGuy, Jun 13, 2018.

1. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I own a BB15 combo, and just picked up a empty BB15 head cab for it. As far as I can tell, the chassis’ are almost identical, and it should be a simple swap.

Has anyone tried rehousing their combo into a head? Any problems?

I know will have the unused speaker leads to deal with. I’m wondering if there is some kind of inexpensive, small device I can connect the leads to that will present a load to the amp if I forget to plug in a speaker?

Is it worth even worrying about since most heads don’t have such a “safety” load.

Should I just tuck the leads away and insulate them to prevent shorting and be done with it?

Any advice/experiences welcomed! Thanks!

2. TimmyV

TimmyV Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2014
    Ohio
    It’s kinda odd that the bass breaker combo has a main speaker and extension speaker jack plus leads going to the main speaker. If your never gonna use it as a combo again I would remove them or just tape the ends off and tuck them away. But if you really wanted to you could hook an eight ohm 50 watt resistor up to those leads.

JustABluesGuy likes this.

3. JustABluesGuy

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for the feedback. I want to be able to revert it back to stock, so don’t plan to remove them, and will probably just tuck them away.

4. JustABluesGuy

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Update: For anyone interested, the head cab came in and I did the switch.

FWIW, the head cabinet doesn’t fit the combo’s chassis perfectly, but I was able shoehorn it in there. I assumed that they are identical, but the cab for the head isn’t as deep.

One of the transformers butted up to the cabinet bracing. I shaved about a 1/4” of the bracing and got it in.

Even so I was only able to install 4 of the six chassis mounting screws, as the mounting holes are just ever so slightly different between the two.

So anyway, now I have a BB15 head and some spare parts too! I’m still shocked that the head and combo chassis aren’t exactly the same. They are “almost” exactly the same, but not quite...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.