Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Rehabbed Tele project

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by horseman308, Sep 25, 2017.

1. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2016
    US
    I just finished a project rehabbing my first build. I didn't take lots of pictures, but here are a few. It's a 72 Deluxe inspired mahogany that I built in 2012 and had a few . . . problems. Mostly, through haste and inexperience I blew out the back where the string ferries go, resulting in the need for a filler block. The original plan was to have the block small enough that it would be covered by the bridge on the front, but that didn't end up happening. So, what I got was this. You can see it under the bridge (first picture, guitar on the right).

It played and sounded good, but I could never let it go. Finally, I also had used a Squier Strat neck and wanted one more suited to my taste. So, I undertook the following project. I routed a channel down the center of both the back and front wide enough to give the block but not hide the nice grain on the original body, and I glued in veneers (next pics are of the routing set up and rendering process). While I was at it I did a sculpted heel with recessed bolts.

For the neck, I wanted a wider nut (1 11/16+), flatter radius (12"), and a 22nd fret. I got a good deal on a nice piece of maple with a little flame. I used stainless steel t-nuts epoxied under the fretboard with stainless steel screws. This was my second neck build, and I LOVE this part. We all have different methods, but using a scary-sharp spoke shave to rough carve the profile is about the most enjoyable woodworking task I've ever done.

I also added a Bigsby. 1 month, a lot of sanding, and 12 coats of Tru Oil later, here it is! (Ignore the pickguard scratches. I made a new one of those, too.)[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Tollehouse Twang

Tollehouse Twang Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    DITTO! Can't decide which I like better....would love to hear the one with the DeArmonds..(?)

4. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I love that headstock carving!

5. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    nice guitar. It really turned out nice. nice save.

horseman308 likes this.

6. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

That looks great. Congrats.

horseman308 likes this.

7. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2016
    US
    Thanks! I more or less stumbled on the idea in my last build (the Tele on the right in the last pic, or on the left in first pic now that I think of it) when I made first neck. I've never liked the traditional Tele headstock, but I wanted something more unique than a straight up Strat headstock, and this sort of just came to me while doodling. It's a bit of both. I'm glad you like it. I think it'll be my "thing" for headstock designs.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017

8. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2016
    US
    Thanks. I'm still a sucker for the hard tail 72 Deluxe, but the Bigsby thing was an itch I had to scratch. I ended up modding the string bar to be a string through (no more annoying little pins), replaced the brass saddles with compensated steel ones from Philadelphia Lutherie Supply that have nice rounded grooves, and repositioned the Bigsby a bit. There was some tuning instability, but that's all but gone now.

The pickups are GFS Surf 90s. I've never played real DeArmonds, but these are supposed to get that sound somewhat, and I really like them.

nojazzhere likes this.

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Yeah, it's really clever.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.