Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Regarding the G&L ASATs we're all taking about

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Mullet Man, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Mullet Man

Mullet Man Tele-Meister

Feb 8, 2014
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    I just got off the phone with G&L in California. The technician I spoke to (didn't divulge his name) states that the wood species on the solid color Tributes is absolutely NOT ash, but is basswood. Despite the statement on the retailers website, they are basswood.

The neck pickup is an Indonesian made "version" of a Seth Lover. This is a commodity part.

The bridge pickup is a G&L pickup produced in their Indonesian factory for local use, made to their own specs.

Still looks awesome, sounds spectacular. Doesn't change a thing. These are fantastic instruments for the money.

tery likes this.

2. 8barlouie

8barlouie Tele-Afflicted

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    That was my understanding all along. I think the text actually does say that. Translucent or transparent are ash and solid colors basswood. On the tributes that is. What does sort of surprise me is the pickups. When Ibought my ASAT tribute, the mfd's it came with were mia.

cnlbb, Nubs and Lefty Addams like this.

3. Mullet Man

Mullet Man Tele-Meister

Feb 8, 2014
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    The MF website has the description on the Mint Green as swamp ash, and the pickups listed as G&L brand. A couple minor errors, but worth noting. I didn't ask about the MFD as the Classic models are what have been blown out on the SDOTD recently.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

Mahogany as well or at least my sunburst is. But there's nothing wrong with Basswood either.

6. 8barlouie

8barlouie Tele-Afflicted

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    Sounds like they might have changed the specs on those Tributes. I got mine about three years ago.

cnlbb likes this.

7. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    I've got an older Indonesian made ASAT Tribute Classic. Beautifully grained ash body and MIA pickups. Very well made indeed - rock solid - sounds and plays as good as my instruments 10 times the price.

soulman969 and 8barlouie like this.

8. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    From G&L FAQ:

G&L Alnico V Tele style single coils 4.9K (Neck), 6.6K (Bridge) Designed by Paul Gagon

used on: ASAT Classic Alnico, ASAT Classic Alnico Launch Edition, ASAT Classic 'S' Alnico, ASAT Classic Solamente Alnico, bridge pickup of Tribute ASAT Classic BluesBoy Electric Guitar Turquoise Mist Limited Edition

The Tribute Series instruments that use MFD pickups are the same USA pickups made in Fullerton, CA.
    The single coil Alnico pickups (CLF-100) used in the Tribute Series Legacy are also the same pickups used in the USA Legacy and are made at the Fullerton factory.
    Other single coil Alnico pickups, humbuckers and P-90's used in the Tribute Series instruments are made to G&L's specifications at the Cort facility in Indonesia.

dalto likes this.

9. yellowv

yellowv Tele-Meister

Aug 14, 2009
    South Florida
    I figured that about the basswood. I dont dislike basswood it's just not really my choice for a Tele style guitar. More neutral and not as spanky as alder or ash. Should have done alder instead on the solid colors. Seems like they have cheaped out on the specs on the newer models, but at $299 you really can't complain. As long as the build quality is solid I have no problem upgrading electronics, etc.

10. dalto

dalto TDPRI Member

Mar 11, 2017
    Texas
    Tributes that have MFDs still do come with MIA pickups.

cnlbb, soulman969 and 8barlouie like this.

11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Really good guitars for cheap!

Nickadermis, 8barlouie and soulman969 like this.

12. radiocaster

radiocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Depends what retailer you mean, on Thomann they are correct, as on G&L's own site. The solid finishes are not as common as the ones where you can see grain though.

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't know that good basswood is a bad choice on a T style guitar. More likely, I think, is that the suppliers of "basswood" down in the area of the Cortek plant like to offer this soft, punky stuff that in some respects relies on the hard shell body finish for its integrity. I fooled with these basswood "Squier 51s" and the wood was really low end. Nothing like the fancy basswood the Japanese were using in the 1980s. You may need to use over length fasteners on the body - sure would not be necessary on an ash body guitar!

14. bsman

bsman Tele-Holic

Jun 8, 2003
    Santa Clara
    The terms ash, alder, basswood, and mahogany (as used in the guitar-making world) have really become almost meaningless. In the case of the first three, there are literally dozens of species that fall within the broad description. With mahogany, there are three species properly in that class, but once again dozens that are sold under the rubric "mahogany".

15. Kpaxmo94

Kpaxmo94 NEW MEMBER!

Apr 21, 2017
    London
    Hi everyone. If anyone is looking for a G&L Tribute ASAT classic in natural, let me know!. Its got MIA MFD pickups and the body and hardware is all mint. Oiled fretboard however some finish flaws on the neck. Its going up on ebay soon for £350. It also comes with a case. The wood is Northern Ash and is the most seamlessly joined, centered two Piece body I've ever seen. Th only way to see if its two prices is by looking at the endgrain. I wont give you the old spiel about if it plays good or not, they all do, same goes for the sound, just excellent.
    20170421_230604.jpg 20170421_230631.jpg 20170421_230744.jpg 20170421_230640.jpg 20170421_230705.jpg 20170421_230724.jpg

16. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

Agreed. I just bought a Tribute ASAT Special in mint condition with a gig bag for less than 60% of what they list for new and the overall quality and playability of the guitar is superb. While I'm quite happy about the "deal" I'm also puzzled why G&Ls take such a beating in the used market. It puts any MIM Std. model I've ever played to shame quality wise.

17. 8barlouie

8barlouie Tele-Afflicted

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    MIMs don't fare much better in the used market.

18. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    I just purchased this thing

G&L Limited Edition Tribute ASAT Classic Ash Body Electric Guitar Gloss Natural (POS ID - 112340138)

off of the GC website .... for that price I figured I couldn't loose. My only question is what pickups are in the thing and if I don't like them can I drop a set of standard Tele pickups in the the thing? I have heard conflicting reports about what pickups are in the thing Everything else looks A OK. I never buy an axe on line. This is a first and if it a klunker it will be my last.
    I have played a few of the tribute line and think they are better made than the MIM Tele's.

If I like eveythind else and can swap the pickups (if I don't like them) I wll be happy.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017

19. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

I saw some that weren't in mint condition going for under $300 on Reverb and after getting mine for $320 shipped with a gig bag and evaluating what a great guitar they had built I was surprised I had been able to get it for that little.

I wonder if MIMs aren't impacted by how many are for sale and the constant promotional sales on new ones but these ASAT specials are at least somewhat scarcer on the used market than an MIM. I've been looking for a top shelf used one in sunburst since December and they were tough to find.

But then I've wanted one for well over 20 years and kept passing on them to add more Teles so maybe I answered my own question. But man, all around these are very, very good guitars and one of the best done imports I've seen. Corts rep as a builder remains intact.

8barlouie likes this.

20. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC

I have a post on one of these threads. Indonesian made Alnico pickups to G&L specs. 4.9k and 6.3k I think

21. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    Well I'll just have to hear them I guess. My main concern was being able to replace them with actual Tele pick ups if I need too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.