Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Refurbs versus Used Originals

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by krocks, Sep 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. krocks

krocks TDPRI Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Minneapolis, MN
    I have a refurb Epiphone Sheraton ii Pro marked "used". Can't really find and flaws but there must have been something the manufacturer didn't like to "second it". So I see stuff being sold which I know isn't new and other stuff labeled "Refurbished". Prices can be all over the map. So what are some opinions on the refurb market??

2. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jun 14, 2010
    mojave desert
    I've found the refurb items kind of hit or miss. Sometimes very good, sometimes not so good. They are supposed to have been sent back to the factory for a complete going over. They can be put into refurb for several reasons, defective, returned just because buyer didn't like it, all sorts of reasons. Like anything else, you take your chances. There have been some real turkeys sold as new.

3. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    A refurb should technically be brought back up to "new" condition, whether by the factory or by a third party refurbisher. That, in my mind, should distinguish a refurb from a scratch 'n' dent, a straight return, or a used item. I would expect that refurb'd item to be every bit as new as one straight out of the box, though I'm sure that's not always the case.

4. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Michigan
    All of the "refurbished" ones I have seen came from resellers who had brought them up to snuff. They also had to place a new serial number over the original so that it couldn't be returned for warranty (at least not by the OEM) and as proof that it wasn't the factory selling anything that may be taken as sub-par.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.