Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Refret for '53 tele

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by trusin, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Masterbuilt

Masterbuilt Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2004
    London,UK
    Oh and just a thought whilst I see you have a nice humbucker relic Tele there, could you compare the two guitars...your '53 and the FCS Relic? What is the main difference (other than price). Not been able to directly compare the two types of guitars but from memory (not played a '53 since the late 90's) it was feel of the neck profile and acoustic resonance. Thanks :)

2. trusin

trusin TDPRI Member

Aug 14, 2003
    Ha, it actually took me a bit to warm up to. The setup w
    I agree on the obsession and struggled with the financial expenditure big time. There was a long stretch over the past couple of years when I didn't see any but they appear to be cropping up now..... weird how particular pieces ebb and flow into the market.

This one was a relative deal compared to others. Comparable, all original ones, were at least 10% more and in some cases 20%. The ones with issues, usually refins were 10% less but I had NO interest in a refin.... In summary, I had a # in my head and this one met it, so I acted.... no looking back now :)

I'll be buried with her but if I ever do need to flip it, I want the fret job to be done by a notable cat that does quality work. The pickups are sweet and everything else is there so I won't touch it, except for modernizing the wiring.

This is a great forum... I appreciate all the guidance!

Masterbuilt likes this.

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    My experience is that vintage electrics are not any better or worse than good current production, though I do find that oddly enough I prefer old pickups to modern repros.
    I have a '50s swamp ash Esquire body that now sits because I have other swamp ash bodies I prefer the weight and musical function of. Mt two favorites are one piece and well under 4lbs.
    The old one works fine, but is a little heavy. I don't have "safe space" for collectible guitars, and prefer to not worry about possibly banging them up. Not that I damage my guitars...
    So IMO all the musical function of vintage can be reproduced, and the primary reason to own vintage is because we love it.
    I also have a '64 Tele neck with Brazilian RW board, and while it's not musically different, you cannot get BRW in repro AFAIK (or not high quality if you find it).

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017

4. gitarjoe

gitarjoe Tele-Afflicted

Sep 28, 2003
    NY
    oh come on, a 53 telecaster and no pics??

5. Masterbuilt

Masterbuilt Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2004
    London,UK

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.