Refret a Squire Affinity neck

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by 1954 Esquire, Nov 29, 2018.

1. 1954 Esquire

1954 Esquire TDPRI Member

Going to try my hand at refretting a Squire Affinity neck and would like to know if anyone has experience doing one of these. My biggest question is would the pre-bent medium jumbo frets that Fender makes work. Doing this with minimal tools and want to keep from having to re-cut the fret slots.

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Warmoth also has prebent fretwire which is very good. Don't know about the Fender wire.
    Doing it with minimal tools will surely help you buy more tools in the future.

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  3. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Now THAT'S funny!!!

4. gip111

gip111 TDPRI Member

Go for it. I have done dozens of refret jobs with minimal tools, some files, a semi homemade fret puller and a rubber mallet to tap the frets in, I like the Fender fret wire sold at Sam Ash. Lots of good info on the net on this topic, I do have to tell you to do your research, there is a little more than just pulling frets out and installing new ones but it is not rocket science. I've done many Fenders and Squiers with Fender wire.

5. preactor

preactor Tele-Meister

If you are not worried about hurting the neck and wanting to learn how, it is a perfect opportunity.

6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Use a soldering iron and solder under the tip on top of a fret to heat any glue (and finish if maple fretboard) to release the old fret.
    Use end-nipper pliers ground flush or those side cutters with a hole you drill in to let the fret wire through as you lift the wire out.

then this going back the other way.
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/fret-leveling-yer-tele-101.201556/

gip111 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.