Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Refinishing Question

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Guitarmike103, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Guitarmike103

Guitarmike103 TDPRI Member

Sep 25, 2017
    Illinois
    Looking to strip the original poly finish off strat to refinish with something that will relic over time, a la SRV or Rory. Will satin poly wipe on give a good deal with sweat, friction, and time? Or is nitro going to give me the best result in the long run

2. Martinp

Martinp Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Westbury, N.Y.
    if you want a sorta less glossy burnished look, the wipe on Polys are good, if you want to start out with a nice shiny axe before it ages, go with the Nitro

3. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    Yup. If you're trying to mimic aged nitro, I think nitro is the way to go.

4. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I think the poly would age differently over time and probably not look the same.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017

5. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Hope you have a long time - Any of those applied properly will take a LONG time - like decades - to "relic" by normal wear. I have laxquer-finish guitars that are 25-30 years old that look "used"...kinda...but not "relic'ed", and thye have been though countless bar gigs, festivals, jams, studio sessions etc, not handled all that gently, and although I do finishing I'm probably one of the worst when it comes to keeping my guitars clean and polished.

SRV's No. One was pretty well used when he received it, and he was very rough on his guitars. Most players who think they are as tough on their probably aren't close - or do 5-7 night a weeks of gigging like he did in the early days.

Rory Gallagher had a rare blood type that virtually ate the finish on his guitars.

It's pretty hard to duplicate either situation.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.