Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Refinishing a 94 MIJ Telecaster..

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by shotgunlew, Mar 8, 2011.

1. shotgunlew

shotgunlew TDPRI Member

Dec 30, 2008
    illinois
    Whats are the steps I need to take to remove the poly so I can refinish the guitar in nitro? Do I sand the neck or use a heat gun? Also how do I remove the String Ferrules from the body? Any Help would be great!

Thanks In Advance

Chris

2. shotgunlew

shotgunlew TDPRI Member

Dec 30, 2008
    illinois
    Ok scratch all the above except the neck part.. Do I just take steel wool to it or heat gun?

3. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied

Mar 2, 2003
    Bakersfield Ca.
    Your alot better off buying an unfinished neck and finish it in nitro.

Its real hard to remove poly and you could damage your neck if you dont have the proper chemicals and tools to do the job.

Why is it so important to have a nitro finish?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. PoiDog

PoiDog Tele-Holic

Feb 13, 2010
    Hong Kong
    Agree with Mark. Not sure I'd mess with the poly finish. In fact, I've read some real horror stories (I think on this very site) about how some of our members ended up screwing up the neck and body because they wanted them in nitro. I think one of the main complaints was that the surface became sticky....

6. shotgunlew

shotgunlew TDPRI Member

Dec 30, 2008
    illinois
    Ill just sand it, Its a project im doing with my ill grandfather,we are refinishing the guitar in seafoam (With matching headstock). Again anyhelp would be great.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.