Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Refinish 1956 Tele

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by MacFever, Jun 21, 2017.

1. tonyboy

tonyboy TDPRI Member

May 2, 2003
    Woodstock, GA
    A 1956 has to be White Blond with a White pickguard. IMHO

jazzmaster90150 and hrstrat57 like this.

2. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Oswald Guitars - Holland =Brilliant, check out his Instagram page or oswaldguitars.nl

Superrock likes this.

3. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    Looks like it has just been cooked from the oven, delicious wood color indeed. It could be a choice to keep it like this with a white pickguard, knowing it can be done white blonde like a 1956 any time…

hrstrat57 likes this.

4. unseen hand

unseen hand Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2014
    Phoenix, Az
    Here's a 56 refin I just acquired from Fiesta Finishes

Attached Files:

rze99 likes this.

5. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    I would have it refinished if it were me. It looks like somebody used golden oak stain on it... poor 'lil tele. :(

6. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I'd like a dresser that looks like that but not a guitar.
    Refinish to blonde!

jazzmaster90150 likes this.

7. Tedzo

Tedzo TDPRI Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Georgetown, Ca
    Could be a natural finish on ash.....

I know some of you have seen my '53 that was broken clear through, but I like the natural finish.

breakline1.jpg

breakline2.jpg '53.jpg

Attached Files:

8. tsj93

tsj93 TDPRI Member

Feb 15, 2017
    London
    Clive Brown is a class act, I've only seen his stuff on the internet but his reputation is deserved

Joseph Dobson of Josephkayeguitars can do this for you. If you're on facebook, search Josephkayeguitars: the london workshop, and you can see some of his work. One photo album called TJs Victorian Pine Telecaster is my ongoing build. It was beautifully figured dark old growth pine, figured like yours, that he covered and lacquered in an aged blonde finish, but the figuring and knots still show. His stuff needs to be viewed in the flesh as pics do not do it justice

9. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana

10. Zenin

Zenin NEW MEMBER!

Aug 5, 2015
    GA
    I have a '55 Tele that I have had since 1977 that was stripped and covered with an unknown clear finish before I got it. I kept it that way for many, many years. Sent it to Dan Strain of Danocaster guitars, Nashville and he did an amazing reliced finish that looks 60 years old. I'm so glad I did it, it sounds much better since the clear finish was removed (it was applied really thick) and looks so much better. Dan does a nice thin nitro finish. Check out the Danocaster website for example of his work.

11. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I'd leave it as is too and put in a nice 1-ply black pickguard. It'd be gorgeous. Adding a new finish and then relic'ing it might actually decrease its value.

12. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    I have some pics somewhere of my dad in laws 56 white guard. Search "relicaster" in the build threads.

13. Danman

Danman Tele-Meister

May 12, 2012
    Amsterdam,The Netherlands
    Cool! Good luck getting it refinished! It's worth it!
    Some good names have been mentioned here. Of course Clive Brown is the best. I have seen very nice things by Fiesta Finishes but there are more. Good luck making a decision!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.