Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Redwood "tele" body finish?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by JustPlay, Aug 9, 2017.

1. JustPlay

JustPlay Tele-Meister

Hi all:

A friend gave me some redwood 4" X 6" posts that were about 35 years old. I milled those down and made a tele style body from it. Although I used a template to draw the outline, I cut the shape on my bandsaw, and then used a drum sander in my drill press to "free-hand" finish the edge. I really don't like using routers...

Anyway, I've attached a couple of pics. One shows the "natural" finish - the other with acetone on it. I would appreciate any / all advice on how to finish it. I don't have high-end spray equip. Would natural Danish Oil (allowed to off gas) followed by wipe on poly be a good choice?

Thanks in advance for any / all suggestions. Really ;-)

Will

Attached Files:

P Thought, ukepicker and Mxrk like this.

2. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    Tru oil. Cheap, common, easy, not-fumey, no special tools required, ages well. Some guys get really, really nice results with it too, with time and patience. My not-so-nice finishes take me less than a week.

What are you doing for a control route? Those knots look they might give you some trouble.

Edit to say: I really like that wood!! Any knowledge of the wood's origin always makes it sound better to me.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017

3. Mxrk

Mxrk TDPRI Member

Nov 17, 2016
    Tampa
    Looks like plenty of room for a Cabronita.

ukepicker likes this.

4. JustPlay

JustPlay Tele-Meister

That's what I want to build. Maybe even just a one (bass) humbucker pickup - no front control panel - will work with knots. Any advice on that would be much appreciated!

ukepicker likes this.

5. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    This...all day. Shellac is an option to if you mix it yourself...especially if you want to tint it somewhat...though haven't used it myself. If you use shellac, I would top it off with a coat or two of tru-oil.

6. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Beautiful wood.

7. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Meister

Shellac . . . the more I work with it, the more I like it. I started out with a can of Zinsser's which is O.K. stuff, but I just mix up my own from flake or button and Everclear (190) now. It's so easy to apply and very forgiving. Another nice thing about it is that if you want to, you can apply any other type of coating (that I know of) on top of it. No nasty fumes either. I've got a redwood blank waiting to be cut - it'll be finished with shellac too. Whatever finish you decide to use, that piece will make a nice guitar - Good Luck to ya.

Best Regards,
    Geo.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.