Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Red Hot tele

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Tomasi, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    Hi, Dear friends!

It seems I've developed an itch there's just one way to scratch... :D Right after completing my first build with finishing ( http://www.tdpri.com/forum/other-t-types-partscasters/609638-funcaster.html ) I just needed to spend some time with the smell of freshly sanded wood and tru oil again. And especially have my try on finishing figured maple.

This time I'm trying to achieve a bit different character and sound. I really love the sound of The Jezabels guitarist Sam Lockwood's sound. Check out the start of the song "City Girl" He plays a thinline with wide range humbuckers and Orange amp. So humbuckers on a bright side it has to be. And naturally there's no other color for guitar than red. :roll eyes:

I also really love the looks of La Cabronita, but I'd like get something unique. Not to spoil the surprise, I'll keep my lay out pics to my self for now. :roll eyes: To describe the goal, I'm trying to combine La Cabronita, bright humbuckers that are just a bit hotter that fidelitrons and sports equipment aesthetics with a hint of dandyness. :eek: I'm pretty sure it sounds crazy, but but I think it might be something quite cool. It might be my nod to direction of "Kimicaster" as suggested for me to build by member ThinLion on the thread about my earlier build. I saw some pics of some old Tokai tele with red dyed maple neck, so I'll try to do something like that too. Just really bold fire engine red.

And again I'm on a tight budget, but I found a beautiful body from a guitar build.co.uk with a really great price. Walnut with curly maple top. The quality on the body I had custom made there for my earlier build was simply impeccable, so I had to have that as a basis for the project. No disappointment there, it seems to be simply perfect. Service and communication was great again. Could not recommend more if you need a place to make you a body.

Neck is cheap unfinished WD parts thing, I hope I don't end up disappointed with that. It looks surprisingly convincing though. Fits like a glove after some sanding.

All advise and suggestions from you are kindly appreciated to steer me away from utter failure.

Here's some pics of what's happened to this date. Sanding and artist oil colors with tru oil. The only place I can work as a guy living in a flat in a city center is the laundry room of our apartment building in a secrecy at night. :rolleyes: So you can be sure you won't see any fancy tools. To be continued... More tinkering this nite ahead.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    Frank'n'censed likes this.

2. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Wow. That's gonna look great!

3. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    I'll second that, it's coming along very, very nicely.

4. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    My humble thanks for your encouragement! I needed to revisit the photos of the same phase of my earlier build to convince myself that all is ok. That unsaturated and dirty pink looked just so horrid...

Oh btw, I'm attempting a faux binding but kind of inverse. I'll dye the bevel of the maple cap black, but still showing the figure. Let's see how that turns out. For masking that I found a really awesome masking tape. A Japanese company called Tamiya makes scale models and all kinds of tools and stuff for that. They have released a masking tape https://www.tamiyausa.com/items/pai...plies-62000/masking-tape-for-curves-2mm-87177 that works wonders. You can make really tight curves without the tape kinking in any way. It's almost magic!

5. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    A little update. I think the color is progressing pretty nicely. I already got a nicely even color but it somehow felt wrong while eyeballing it together with upcoming components. The color I started with is Cadmium red deep hue. I gave it another two very diluted layers, one with some Alizarin Crimson mixed in with Cadmium an another one with just Alizarin crimson. They tint the color ever so slightly to the right direction in my opinion. Unfortunately the difference does not show that well on the pictures, but it's a night and day difference. Earlier it was pretty much exactly Ferrari red and now the classic Italian Rosso Corsa. Much classier in my opinion, the Ferrari red feels almost a bit too orange to me. Still very very intense red that I like. Incidentally it's exactly the red color on my Pinarello road bike too.

I also noticed that my pickups didn't fit the cavities. Cavities were ever so slightly too rounded on the corners. Probably designed for TV jones pups. I sanded them with my cheap dremel copy and was probably very close to cause a fire alarm. The maple cap seems to be so hard wood that it starts to create smoke very easily. :eek: I got a curious look from a neighbor walking by outside while I was dancing around with rubber gloves on all the windows open and trying to vent the smoke out with a piece of cardboard... Well they probably regard me to be a weirdo already anyway, so it just adds to the reputation. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

6. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    That is looking great!!

7. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    Greetings!

Maybe I should do a little update what I've been up to for the last few weeks. Just for the record anyone else planning to make a deeply coloured neck with frets on using true oil to acceptable finish you better buckle up for a rollercoaster ride of terror and endless patience.o_O
    IMG_2369.jpg
    Finally I got it right, i calculated I spent over 16 hours just fixing the very edges of every fret... This image is from some time ago before I got it smooth.
    IMG_2435.jpg
    Image with the headstock is what I ended up with.

I got the final glaze coat on to the top of the body yesterday, luckily I have a gala to attend to tomorrow so I'll jump into my tuxedo and try to take my mind off from waiting it to cure for final buffing. As you can see, I'm not lying about literally working in the laundry of my apartment building in secrecy at night...
    IMG_2433.jpg
    I'm going for aesthetically simple controls, just two knobs seen on the top. Other one is 5 way rotary switch with:
    • 1. Bridge Humbucker
    • 2. Outer Coils Parallel-Neck(N)+Bridge(S)
    • 3. Outer Coils Series-Neck(N)+Bridge(S)
    • 4. Inner Coils Parallel-Neck(S)+Bridge(N)
    • 5. Neck Humbucker
    , Other one is push pull pot with volume in down position and tone (with full volume) on up position. Hopefully this will prove to be simple and versatile lay out. There are quite a few things to be done still. One important thing will be my secret component to improve the tone and make it really red hot. That's going to be one of the most final tasks to do! The housing for it can be seen on the last picture. IMG_2380.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016

8. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

Yes, I think we can live with this guitar...

Especially the headstock!

;)

Well done mate...

9. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    Allrighty, now it's completed. It's very loud and surprisingly bright for a humbucker guitar. The switching scheme for the pickups proved to be quite versatile, there's very different sounds available but all of them quite aggressive with spanky attack and snap. Pretty much what I hoped for. Hot. And red.:)
    RedHot.jpg
    I don't know is it all the maple or pickups or my special "red hot"-cirquit. Bottle full of ground Chipotle that the output signal goes thru. o_O I also designed a candy skull with chili and note details sporting a similar goatee I have and had it laser engraved for the neck plate.
    RedHot2.jpg
    I'm pretty happy, hope you like it too!

tvvoodoo and Blue Bill like this.

10. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    Even though it's quite hard to show in a jpg because of how compression smudges the bright reds, the figure is quite pronounced and wild. RedHot3.jpg
    So a little bit of la cabronita, a little bit of sports equipment aesthetics and a little bit of dandyness. But is this literally a red neck guitar? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016

11. twocup

twocup Tele-Meister

12. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Aug 13, 2009
    Mobile, AL
    While it may have a red neck, it is not a red neck guitar!

That thing is gorgeous! Very well done, sir!

John

13. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Wow Tomasi, that is really great. I love the red neck! And the hot chili circuit, awesome!! Beautiful job, welcome to the forum, thanks for the great pictures.

14. esetter

esetter Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 1, 2011
    MI
    Great job! That's a lot of red but, I like it!

15. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    Thanks for your kind words! Yeah, red... I seem to have some sort of fixation for that color.:rolleyes: When I come to think of it, I don't own pretty much anything not being in red-black-gray-white color scheme.

One of the references for the sports part of look on this one was my main road bike. I built the bike also with everything matching in color and really like the sinister look it gives to it. Hopefully the Red Hot Tele gives the same initial impression, just with some Mexican spiciness mixed in.
    PinaSmall.jpg

kkphoto and the2connors like this.

16. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Oct 27, 2015
    Melbourne, Austraila
    Love love love that neck, and great build all round!

17. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    Thanks! I was really worried that I would find out the neck being a dud after all this work poured into it. It is a dirt cheap DR Parts thingy after all. Luckily it proved to be good. I thought it would be the standard modern c profile, but it feels a bit chunkier. I have really long fingers, so I'm good with it.

18. speedingjet

speedingjet Tele-Meister

Great work. Love the idea of a coloured (in particular, red) maple board!

19. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    I sanded the nut a little lower (Now it's right like I want it) and took some more pics. The figure is so lively and color so bright it's really hard to show it's actually a mirror shine finish on the faux binding and top...
    RHT_theGuitar1.jpg

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    2blue2, mefgames and Captain Nutslot like this.

20. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    It's ThinLion, (changed names for continuity sake). Thanks for mentioning the Kimicaster, but your guitar is just that. Great work again, Tomasi!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.