Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Red Dwarf: A Modern Take on a Classic

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Ripthorn, Oct 10, 2017.

1. unfamous

unfamous TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2009
    North Georgia
    Ted's!!!!

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

Ding Ding Ding...we have a winner.....

3. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Are you looking for proper LP JR DC plans or a drawing of my spin?

4. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Well, let me say that doing a design like this is a nice change of pace. I leisurely planed, trimmed, sawed, sanded, and routed a little bit. After just a couple hours, here is where we stand:

[​IMG]

I need to trim off the neck tenon that is sticking up, as I angled the neck pocket and not the tenon. No big deal, just need to figure out the best way and time to do it. I guess I really need my bridge and pickup to show up now.

I will say that the one bummer here is the weight of the body. Apparently my local supplier sells Sapele as African Mahogany and it is fairly heavy. Lucky for me, I like thinner bodies, so I trimmed some there, but with the body as it stands now, it's 5 lb. 13 oz. I still need to route for pickup and control cavity. My quick and dirty calculations show that that should shave another 4 oz or so. I guess a 5.5 lb body isn't the worst in the world, but the average body weight according to what I found online is about 4.5-4.8 lbs. So I would be about a pound heavier. However, the neck is feather light, at 1 lb 2 oz. including the truss rod, so hopefully it will all balance out. With only one pickup and a wraparound bridge, I'm hoping I don't top more than 8-8.5 lbs total. We'll see, I guess.

5. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    USA
    I like your modern twists, and especially the tuner layout. I guess I am looking for LP JR DC ish plans with the 3x3 tuner layout you have. I am not looking to make an exact copy of any guitar.

6. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2012
    Bristol UK
    That took me a moment, but I got there! :-D

And yes, when I saw the title, the first thing that came to mind was a Red Dwarf themed guitar... which would have been sooo cool (Not that this is not!).

7. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I made my drawing in inkscape (free software) and started with a drawing of a 3x3 headstock with straight pull, left the tuner and nut locations, then drew the new outline that I liked. It's a relatively straightforward process. For the body, I started with a PDF of proper LP Jr DC plans and modified to taste.

callasabra likes this.

8. Budda45ftw

Budda45ftw Tele-Meister

Aug 21, 2017
    Rochester NY
    I live in Rochester. Next time you are here, pm me!

9. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Well, lots of work has been happening on this, just not much that makes photos interesting (and let's be honest, that's only reason to check threads like this :) ). After a snafu with the postal service, I got my fretwire finally. Thanks to my 20" long radius beam (this was my first time using it), this was my easiest fret job ever. Board was perfectly level and radiused the whole way, so it didn't require more than one or two thousandths of leveling and crowning/polishing were super fast too. The whole thing took me maybe an hour and a half, which is flying for me. I then put one thin coat of oil on the bubinga fret board for some color. Anyway, enough yakking, here is what you want:

[​IMG]

callasabra and guitarbuilder like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.