Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Red Dirt Guitar Works

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Hagcaster, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Hagcaster

Hagcaster TDPRI Member

Jul 12, 2010
    sunny ca
    What's the deal with these guys? I emailed them about buying a couple bodies but apparently they can't be bothered to write back? Has anyone purchased bodies from them recently?

Can anyone recommend a good source for "pinecaster" bodies?

Thanks in advance!

2. bossaholic

bossaholic Friend of Leo's

Aug 4, 2008
    Maui/Indiana
    They post here quite often.

3. drf64

drf64 Friend of Leo's

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    I've bought 3 bodies from them. Top notch, good people, high quality stuff. Probably just busy.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Hagcaster

Hagcaster TDPRI Member

Jul 12, 2010
    sunny ca

Its been a few weeks now since I emailed them. I saw another thread on here and they seemed genuinely concerned about getting their product "right" so I wanted to give them a shot.

Any other leads on pine bodies? Oddly enough there's a 50's Vibe Squire Tele at a local guitar center that sounds and plays great but I'd rather support the little guys and build one myself.

6. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
  7. Hagcaster

Hagcaster TDPRI Member

Jul 12, 2010
    sunny ca
    Thanks for the lead Mike, much appreciated.

8. jrich99

jrich99 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 28, 2009
    AZ
    There was just a thread on here about them starting up a new website right now....I'll search for it.

9. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    Maybe you e-mailed Red Dirt Brothers Guitars (the music store in Oklahoma) asking about guitar bodies. If so that may explain why you got no response. They don't know what the hell you're talking about.

10. Hagcaster

Hagcaster TDPRI Member

Jul 12, 2010
    sunny ca
    I sent the email to ben@8fdtexas.com

Maybe in the redesign my email got vaporized.

Thanks for the links guys!

11. El Reclusa

El Reclusa Tele-Afflicted

Jul 27, 2008
    Kansas City
    Marc Rutters does pine bodies too...

12. Hagcaster

Hagcaster TDPRI Member

Jul 12, 2010
    sunny ca
    Perfect. Bonsall is fairly close to me. Thanks again guys for the leads!

13. Hagcaster

Hagcaster TDPRI Member

Jul 12, 2010
    sunny ca
    El Reclusa, I got in contact with Marc today. Super nice guy, really cares about his product and very easy to deal with. Really looking forward to the build. Thanks so much for turning me on to him. Bonus that he's local in my area.

14. El Reclusa

El Reclusa Tele-Afflicted

Jul 27, 2008
    Kansas City
    My pleasure! I just turned my local builder/repairman onto him too. Lemme know how it turns out! Thinking about starting a build with one of his pine bodies myself, soon as I have the $ to do so...

Also, I should thank Boris Bubbanov for turning me on to Marc's stuff. Just got some saddles that I can't wait to install!

15. '56Teleman

'56Teleman Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2006
    In The Basement
    www.guitarmill.com is a small, family owned business and they're great people.

Good luck in your search.

16. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Apr 25, 2003
    NC-USA
    Another vote for Marc Rutters. He get's it right the first time.

17. overlook1977

overlook1977 TDPRI Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Raleigh NC
    Here's my two cents on Red Dirt Guitar Works...I am building my first tele and wanted to do it right, all the best parts, etc. I saw bodies from Warmoth for about $175-ish, and Red Dirt Guitars puts their stuff on eBay. I figured I would save some money and go with Red Dirt. I win the auction for a Swamp Ash tele body, but people start sniping at the last second which drives the price into the $160's so I am not saving that much money. The next week or two I order other components for the guitar. Everything ships except the Red Dirt body. I email Red Dirt and try to call. No response. Several days later, they answer one of the two questions in my email. I then get fed up and try to cancel the order (not that he is obligated to, but worth a shot) b/c Im sick of waiting and I have changed my mind about the guitar design by now. I call Warmoth, I get a guy immediately on the line who is very friendly and helpful. I order a body plus some other accessories from Warmoth. The Warmoth body arrives the same week...ironically the Red Dirt body finally arrives about three weeks after that auction. Now I have both bodies to compare. The Warmoth body is really nice, nicely sanded, beautiful wood, clean routing, etc. The Red Dirt body is OK but there are some issues...there is a dent on the face, the routing is rougher, the wood isnt as great (kind of potted in one area). Its not a terrible body, but compared to the Warmoth body right next to it, the Red Dirt body is definitely inferior.

In summary, I would recommend Red Dirt for a cheaper pine body. If you are going to have to compete with others on eBay for a good quality Ash or Alder body, go with Warmoth. It's faster, its higher quality, its about the same costs (in my case at least),they have good customer service, and you can order other accessories while you're shopping.

18. geobars

geobars TDPRI Member

Oct 2, 2010
    rochester,NY
    I have lost all faith in them. I ordered an Ash tele body from there ebay store, paid within 2 days. Have not received my product, and the 2 messages I sent them one thru ebay and the other thru his email both went without a reply. Currently in the process of getting my money back from ebay.:mad:

19. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland
    Two Words: Guitar Mill. Really great people!

20. GtrMan

GtrMan Tele-Meister

Dec 31, 2009
    Hawesville, KY
    seems like Guitar Mill is the way to go.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.